Report from the Harrisburg Outdoor Show

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Report from the Harrisburg Outdoor Show

Post by amythntr »

....Took a road trip to the show yesterday.

Wow was it packed and we were sought of in a rush to get home for the Super Bowl....

1. Stopped at the Excalibur booth and chatted with Josh (I think that was his name)...I had him look at the limbs to my M380...Where I thought there were some rough spots he said they were perfectly fine....all part of the molding process

We chatted about quieting the bow ( because he saw the mole skin and tape on my stirrup)...he mentioned to add some mole skin tape right under the string right before the mag tips. He said that would make it "noticeably" quieter...Never heard anybody mentioning that...also to do the same under the arrow retainer ( which I have already done.)

We also talked about the tact zone scope and he is aware of all the bad press and or issues with the scope...he said that with all said Excal has less than a 2% return...He said some of the issues with with the scope being dark or blurry is due to not properly adjusting the diopter ring underneath the scope cover...

Well and there it was the NEW MATRIX 405...sitting on the rack...NO I did not get a chance to shoot it....I did hold it and shouldered it...for me, it was noticeably heavier and again for me it did not seem to have the same nice fit and balance as the M380. No one was allowed to cock the bows...I told him I felt I was pretty much at the end of my pull when cocking the M380...he said, if that was the case the M405 was not for me...as the M405 would not make me happy while trying to cock it...I don't know why I didn't ask him to shoot one...maybe I felt a little rushed or I am very content with my 380's...

2. Visited the Triggertech booth and got to fire the Matrix Hunter 2.5 trigger which was set up on a M380....all I can say is WOW!...the creep is nice and the the break is nice and smooth...shot it three time and ordered one for each 380 with the lever....to be delivered from the wonderful people at Wyvern Creations...

3. got to touch and feel the Steddy Eddy rest made by Tenpoint...was disappointed that they were not selling anything...Stopped at Cabelas on the
way home and picked one up...Today (snow day in NJ) I installed it and absolutely love it...I had to do some modifications and hope to post pictures...let me just say....when properly resting on your belt area you do not need a hand on the forend...for those of you not familiar with this product you should check it out on the Tenpoint website...

There were some other interesting vendors but these were the three I wanted to visit...come to think of it HHA Optimizer was not there as was Leupold not there...

Oh, One more thing...while chatting with Josh...I mentioned that I am awaiting for Boo to get to my string and my BEE's from Big John...all he could do was smile and say..."you are in good hands..."

Hopefully this helps, :D :D :D :D

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
paulaboutform

Re: Report from the Harrisburg Outdoor Show

Post by paulaboutform »

Hey Anthony, thanks for the report. Sounds like it was a great time. Too bad about the 405 'lack of anything'. Hope you had an awesome trip.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

I am trying to decide if the show is worth the 115 mile drive for me.

So it sounds like there is no opportunity to "test cock" a Matrix bow?

Any anti-gun/anti-NRA protesters?
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Peacemaker wrote:I am trying to decide if the show is worth the 115 mile drive for me.

So it sounds like there is no opportunity to "test cock" a Matrix bow?

Any anti-gun/anti-NRA protesters?
....absolutely no anti's or protesters there...a lot of security however...

...did not see anyone cocking any manufacturer's crossbows...maybe insurance was an issue...but then again I didn't ask either....

....the trip was 185 miles for me....if it wasn't that I was on a mission I probably would not have gone...no real show deals at all...and it was crowded...

...if i were to go next year it would be just my kids and me...this way I wouln't feel rushed....

Hope this helps, :D

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I be interested in some pics of where exactly you are putting that moleskin and if there is a noticable difference in sound.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

[email protected] wrote:Hope this helps, :D

Anthony
You probably just saved me 4 hours of driving, 4 hours of frustration, and the associated fuel, admission, and food costs. Not to mention the carbon emissions and other environmental impacts.

On behalf of my wallet, my schedule, and mother earth, thanks.

D
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Peacemaker wrote:
[email protected] wrote:Hope this helps, :D

Anthony
You probably just saved me 4 hours of driving, 4 hours of frustration, and the associated fuel, admission, and food costs. Not to mention the carbon emissions and other environmental impacts.

On behalf of my wallet, my schedule, and mother earth, thanks.

D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Bullzeye wrote:I be interested in some pics of where exactly you are putting that moleskin and if there is a noticeable difference in sound.
...My xbow is hibernating for the winter...unfortunately I am a CPA in the state and getting busy for tax season...wont see the light of day from now until 4/15...won't get a chance to try the mole skin until April...but i can tell you it goes right under the string right where the string slaps the limb upon release of a bolt....

Hopefully that helps...

Anthony

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

[email protected] wrote:.
...did not see anyone cocking any manufacturer's crossbows...maybe insurance was an issue...but then again I didn't ask either....

but:
2. Visited the Triggertech booth and got to fire the Matrix Hunter 2.5 trigger which was set up on a M380....all I can say is WOW!...the creep is nice and the the break is nice and smooth...shot it three time and ordered one for each 380 with the lever....
Anthony
I'm confused here :?:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

enormous wrote:
[email protected] wrote:.

but:
2. Visited the Triggertech booth and got to fire the Matrix Hunter 2.5 trigger which was set up on a M380....all I can say is WOW!...the creep is nice and the the break is nice and smooth...shot it three time and ordered one for each 380 with the lever....
Anthony
I'm confused here :?:
With regard to what I said in cocking the crossbow...At each booth you were able to look at what the various companies offered including holding the bows, etc. I saw no one actually cock a crossbow at ANY of the booths....If you wanted to test fire any crossbow from the various manufacturers there was a place set up to do so...the reps present did the cocking and handed the bow to you ready to shoot...no one actually did the cocking...

I visited the Triggertech booth wanting to test drive the Matrix Hunter trigger...He asked me what I shoot...He had one on the 380 (which I own) so I fired and tested that one...

I do not know what was confusing but I hope that the above cleared up what was confusing... :?

Anthony

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

Ok, I didn't know that there was a shooting area. Makes sense now, I wondererd why TT was cocking crossbows to shoot and nobody else was.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

"If you wanted to test fire any crossbow from the various manufacturers there was a place set up to do so..."

Well now this might cost me and mother earth all of the expense that your other post might have saved. But....snow predicted for Saturday so hopefully that will convince me to stay home. That would be good....because there is a chance that I get Matrixitis if I test-fire one...and can't really spend that much coin on another bow.....
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Hi All,

I'm at the Harrisburg show all week and it has changed a lot. This year they have every major firearm manufacturer represented with huge booths that we normally only see at Shot Show. The attendance has been very high and we have 5 of our retailers selling pretty much everything we sell. There may even be a 405 left!

Regarding cocking crossbows in our booth, we will let you cock them just not uncock them. If you're coming to the show I will tell you why. Anybody wanting to try cocking the 405 come and see me.

Peter
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

Thanks Peter. In my delusional mind I will take that as a personal invitation from a key exhibitor....so now I am back to spending the time, spending the money, polluting the environment, and now risking my life to get there in the snow....

But I will bring only afew bucks cash for admission, a pretzel, and gas....and leave the credit card and checkbook home! :D
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...Peter were you there on Sunday?....I did not see you when I was there about 11:00AM...I spoke with Josh? (not sure if I got his name right....) I would have loved to have given the 405 a try both cocking and shooting.....Oh well!

Anthony

PS it was a little crazy there on Sunday...packed like sardines!

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings