How Many Times Can You Shoot An Excalibur?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CozzyElectron

Re: How Many Times Can You Shoot An Excalibur?

Post by CozzyElectron »

hillHuntR wrote:I want and will hopefully have a Matrix, but will not sell the Axiom to do so!
that's awesome.. I haven't even bought my first axiom (I'm in the process of buying one now) and I have my eyes set on a future matrix 355!

But ya, doesn't look like I'll be selling the axiom to get it lol
Jc1

Post by Jc1 »

I just bought an Excalibur Axiom about 3 weeks ago.
The main reason why I went with an Excalibur is for the reasons you've read in this thread. People don't think twice about hunting with a vintage gun that has been passed down and I think a bow should be the same thing, heirloom quality. I've grown tired of buying a top of the line compound bow every 3 years, and then needing parts or something done to it and being told, "that is a discontinued and outdated model......it will cost a little more to fix/find parts and how I should just buy the newest latest and greatest because what I'm shooting is outdated."
With what I've seen with Excaliburs, you can shoot it with pride and pass it on to your kids and if you need parts 30 years from now, you'll be able to keep it shooting.
I think an Axiom or Ibex is a great first crossbow for the fact that you have to assemble it yourself. It will really help you to learn/understand your equipment .
CozzyElectron

Post by CozzyElectron »

Jc1 wrote:I just bought an Excalibur Axiom about 3 weeks ago.
The main reason why I went with an Excalibur is for the reasons you've read in this thread. People don't think twice about hunting with a vintage gun that has been passed down and I think a bow should be the same thing, heirloom quality. I've grown tired of buying a top of the line compound bow every 3 years, and then needing parts or something done to it and being told, "that is a discontinued and outdated model......it will cost a little more to fix/find parts and how I should just buy the newest latest and greatest because what I'm shooting is outdated."
With what I've seen with Excaliburs, you can shoot it with pride and pass it on to your kids and if you need parts 30 years from now, you'll be able to keep it shooting.
I think an Axiom or Ibex is a great first crossbow for the fact that you have to assemble it yourself. It will really help you to learn/understand your equipment .
All great points! I am so stoked for my first xbow... I'm getting it used - 1 yr old, shot 30 times apparently, comes with a few extra accessories and an extra flemish string.

Apparently this bow has taken down 2 deer already too according to the seller.

I hope it hasn't been dry fired.

Any questions I should be asking her?
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

CozzyElectron wrote:
Jc1 wrote:I just bought an Excalibur Axiom about 3 weeks ago.
With what I've seen with Excaliburs, you can shoot i7t with pride and pass it on to your kids and if you need parts 30 years from now, you'll be able to keep it shooting.
All great points! I am so stoked for my first xbow... I'm getting it used - 1 yr old, shot 30 times apparently, comes with a few extra accessories and an extra flemish string.

Apparently this bow has taken down 2 deer already too according to the seller.

I hope it hasn't been dry fired.

Any questions I should be asking her?
Go over it with fine tooth comb.
Bring cotton batting to check the limbs for cracks or splinters. Check the limb tips.
Cock and shoot it few times.
Check the tiller
CozzyElectron

Post by CozzyElectron »

colouredchameleon wrote:Go over it with fine tooth comb.
Bring cotton batting to check the limbs for cracks or splinters. Check the limb tips.
Cock and shoot it few times.
Check the tiller
I guess I won't ever really know until I buy it since she's shipping it all the way to BC from Ontario canada...
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Don even more than Kenny Barr . How about Mike Tinley . I can remember when he was younger and his Dad had him shooting every night after school . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Boo

Post by Boo »

Doe Master wrote:Don even more than Kenny Barr . How about Mike Tinley . I can remember when he was younger and his Dad had him shooting every night after school . :shock:
Yep, I forgot about Mikie. Mikie and Kenny are arra junkies! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Peacemaker wrote:
Kegbelly wrote:What's 60% of forever? :lol:

Roughly...."f-o-r-e"

:wink:
There's one in every bunch :lol: :lol:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
madtom

Post by madtom »

I had an experience tonight that made me ask the same question.

I just purchased an Axiom SMF kit. It is my first crossbow, and I am still learning a lot. However, I have been shooting vertical compound bows for almost 20 years now.

I shoot in a weekly 3D league with my compound bow at a local archery shop. Each night consists of a total of 32 shots at 16 different targets over the course of about an hour and a half. The league consists of four tiers based on ability and runs for 12 weeks.

I've noticed over the last several moths that the shop has been stocking more and more crossbows, including several Excaliburs. Tonight after league, I was talking to one of the owners and he mentioned that they had been selling a lot more crossbows, to the point that it has become a major part of their buisness. However, when I asked whether or not they would consider adding a tier for crossbow shooters he seemed rather hesitant. He said that crossbows aren't designed to be shot as frequently as would be required by the league, and that the shot itself is just so violent that the customer would end up doing damage to their bow if shot repeatedly. Another employee chimed in and basically said that after they are sighted in, they shouldn't be shot too regularly. This was somewhat discouraging to say the least.

So, here are my questions. Bear in mind that we were talking about crossbows in general, not Exalibur crossbows in particular, and that because I was on my way out the door I didn't really have time to ask for more details.

1. Is there anything to their statements, or are they full of crap? I can't imagine that 32 shots per week would be too much for any modern crossbow, much less an Excalibur. Everything I've read has lead me to believe that an Excalibur will hold up basically forever and that if it were to fail while shooting it would be covered by warranty.

2. Are there crossbows currently on the market for which this frequency of shooting would cause too much wear?

3. Assuming I can find a league to shoot my new crossbow in, what should I do (such as waxing the string every few shots, etc) to keep my bow maintained?

Thanks,

Tom
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Tom welcome and if you go to the Home page and watch the video it might answer your questions ...Excalibur has tested several brands along with their own.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Depends on your aim, the caliber of gun you are using and how much ammo you have. :twisted: :twisted:
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

madtom wrote:I had an experience tonight that made me ask the same question.

I just purchased an Axiom SMF kit. It is my first crossbow, and I am still learning a lot. However, I have been shooting vertical compound bows for almost 20 years now.

I shoot in a weekly 3D league with my compound bow at a local archery shop. Each night consists of a total of 32 shots at 16 different targets over the course of about an hour and a half. The league consists of four tiers based on ability and runs for 12 weeks.

I've noticed over the last several moths that the shop has been stocking more and more crossbows, including several Excaliburs. Tonight after league, I was talking to one of the owners and he mentioned that they had been selling a lot more crossbows, to the point that it has become a major part of their buisness. However, when I asked whether or not they would consider adding a tier for crossbow shooters he seemed rather hesitant. He said that crossbows aren't designed to be shot as frequently as would be required by the league, and that the shot itself is just so violent that the customer would end up doing damage to their bow if shot repeatedly. Another employee chimed in and basically said that after they are sighted in, they shouldn't be shot too regularly. This was somewhat discouraging to say the least.

So, here are my questions. Bear in mind that we were talking about crossbows in general, not Exalibur crossbows in particular, and that because I was on my way out the door I didn't really have time to ask for more details.

1. Is there anything to their statements, or are they full of crap? I can't imagine that 32 shots per week would be too much for any modern crossbow, much less an Excalibur. Everything I've read has lead me to believe that an Excalibur will hold up basically forever and that if it were to fail while shooting it would be covered by warranty.

2. Are there crossbows currently on the market for which this frequency of shooting would cause too much wear?

3. Assuming I can find a league to shoot my new crossbow in, what should I do (such as waxing the string every few shots, etc) to keep my bow maintained?

Thanks,

Tom
The shop owner is either misinformed or just doesn`t want to open up the league to crossbows.

There are 3D leagues and competitions that include crossbow shooters all over the world. My club has bi-monthly shoots, (32 targets at 32 different stations). I must have at least 500 shots on my string and still haven`t changed the serving. I did own some crossbows that had the problems he listed, but they were not Excaliburs . . . they were wheeled contraptions: Horton and Parker. I owned them only long enough to discover these problems. Dealing with their customer service was impossible. The warranty department at Excalibur has you covered if anything ever happens.

Maintenance of an Excalibur crossbow is easy. Check that screws don`t loosen over time and wax the serving every 30 shots or so. You can rotate the string left-right to wear on both sides of the serving every 100 shots or so. Every once in a while, check your brace height and add twists if the string creeps. I shoot just about every day and the maintenance is very simple.

You should`ve asked the shop owner if that is the sales pitch he makes to sell more crossbows . . . I doubt that is what he`d say to a customer with cash.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

My Exocet 200 has probably close to 10,000 arrows thru it still waiting for limbs to fail ...will report again after the next 10,000 shots :)
Short of a dry fire they seem to last a lifetime .
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

That answer depends on the bows draw weight, the weight of the arrow and string. It's not unlike hot-rodding firearm handloads past recommended load limits (where pressure is the culprit). The faster the bow shoots the more stress on limbs and vibration. Over time it will cause failure.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Tom

Post by Tom »

madtom wrote:I had an experience tonight that made me ask the same question.

Thanks,

Tom
racking up points just about covered it all.

Adding to his post, the heavier models do cause more wear and tear of the bows then the lighter models. But most of the problems with crossbows comes from compound models, the the recurve style. The recurve's are simple and do not have all the extra cables and pulleys which need to be tuned and maintained.

Also remember that with the higher poundage crossbows, it will take more repeated energy (from you) to cock the bow for each shot. This is why many members on here switched from heavier models to the 150 - 175 pound models (easier on their muscles for extended shooting times).

If you have an Excalibur crossbow, I would not think you would have a problem shooting it thousands of times. Have fun and be safe.

PS ..... I think I would like to prove this person wrong and shoot my Excalibur in his shop in a league, even letting another person shoot it just to show him how dependable they are.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]