New to Forum, after ELK!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

litenup

New to Forum, after ELK!

Post by litenup »

I've been watching from the shadows, like the Forum. 1st post: Here's my situation. Due to damaged shoulder, I am applying for a disability permit to use xbow during CO archery season. So I am shopping new and uses excels based on weight, recurve design, simplicity, accuracy, ease of maintenance/repair, durability, and the best reputation in the industry. As noted above, some of my hunting will be for elk. I can cock recurves of 175# with rope cocker with moderate effort, due to my marginal shoulder. I haven't tried to cock a 200# recurve, wasn't one available at my range. Will an '04 Exocet or other 175# bow be adequate for elk, or do I need to go up to 200# with a wind cocker? I will have to shoot peep sights. What say you?
Last edited by litenup on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boo

Re: New to Forum, after ELK!

Post by Boo »

Assuming you get real close, use a cut on contact broadhead and use a heavy arrow set up I say yes, the 175 is capable of delivering a killing broadside shot.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I agree. No need to go any higher in poundage. Shooting a crossbow should be an enjoyable experience. Like Boo said, a heavier broadhead/arrow combination (450-500 gr.) will do the trick. Welcome to the forum. :D
Hank
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

welome! if you do your part, the 175# will do its!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Elk out to 30 yds no problem. I ain't never shot one but i have killed some decent sized hogs wid me Vixens & they be 150lb models. Decent coc BH & 385 gr on up arrow weight yer good to go, welcome to the Forum
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Welcome, the 175 will do the trick. They took a moose in Canada with a vixen years ago. A well placed shot and a heavy arrow will do it. Good luck to you and post pic of him!!! :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Just for grins... have you tried shortening the rope cocker yet? If not you might try that and try to cock a 200lb. model before you make your mind up. Shortening the rope cocker puts the pull down lower where its mostly a "stand up" and its cocked kinda deal.You wont have to use your shoulder much.
All the above posts are correct, a 175lb model will do the job.I am pretty sure I have seen on the forum that one of the largest moose in Canada was taken with a Vixen (150lb model) but a 200 lb model will be a little flatter shooting.
Have fun in your quest and good luck on the elk.Gorgeous country that Colorado.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!! :D
I agree with all the previous post...the 175 will do the job with a quality broadhead and heavy arrow.
Have you considered a crank cocking aid :?:
With one of these you can easily cock the higher poundage bows.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Welcome to the forum.
I've taken 7 elk in colorado. 2 with a 70# compound. The 175# crossbow will do the job with a heavy arrow, good broadhead and shot placement. Once you go elk hunting in the rockeys you'll be hooked. Calling elk is like calling 1200# turkeys during spring gobbler. There are several guys on here that can make you the perfect custom arrow and sting for that hunt. Good luck getting a tag in a good WMA
litenup

Post by litenup »

Thanks for all the replies, appreciate you making me feel right @ home. Sounds like The 175 will work but 200 would be better. I've tried shortening the cocking rope and pulling the bowstring the 1st 2 inches barehanded to get the cocker on the string. I can pull 200 like that a few times, but ouch! A crank seems slow, heavy cumbersome. Is there a 185# spec for any Excalibur factory limbs? A seller says he has an Exocet from 2004 w 185# factory limbs, but I can find no such xbow in internet search.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

All limbs are the same cept the old Lite limbs of yrs past, like over 10. The E'mag used to be 185 wid a carved tip limb. Nutten like that today
Half Bubble Off BD360

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Don't overbow yerself, either use a crank or get a nice 175 lb wid alum. rail model. I tell you fer a fact i don't feel underbowed usin me Vixens. I could kill the biggest Elk or Moose or Bison that walks North America out to 30 yds or even 40 yds! Jus have good BH coc type 400 gr or more total arrow weight. An Elk can't move fast enuff once you shoot!
Half Bubble Off BD360

TYE

Post by TYE »

A 175 lb Excalibur is still more powerful than most people's compound bows. No need for anything bigher.