Yards vs Metres

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wathst

Yards vs Metres

Post by wathst »

Hi all,
I've been lurking on this forum for months now and soaking up all of the great information. I picked up my first-ever crossbow this morning, the Matrix 380, after years of recurve and compound bow hunting. I can't believe the speed!!!
After being a metric guy for so long, my question is: if I calibrate the Tact-Zone scope at 20 metres with the cross hairs and then shoot at 30 metres using the cross hairs ( which will shoot low ) and then move the speed ring until the 30 mark centres on my last shot, will my bow be calibrated in metres instead of yards? Basically I am asking if I can use metres instead of yards with the scope.
Thanks
Matrix 380, BEE's w Lumenoks, Leupold CrossBones, TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
taz3

Re: Yards vs Metres

Post by taz3 »

No it wont calibrate in meters, as the cross hairs are fixed and calibrated in yards, but I doubt you would even notice it with the speed of a 380 and it's flat trajectory from 20 to 30 meters or yards. You probably wont notice it until you are shooting out over 40 yards or meters.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

No.
But I would try the following instead to minimize the error. If metres is the way you wish to calibrate your shot distances.
Instead of using the 30 metre (32.8 yards ) marks to make your second adjustment using the speed ring . Use the 50 metre ( 54.65 yards) marks instead to zero point of impact with the speed ring.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Using the 50 meter setting will only mean it will likely be more off at 30 and 40. I'd rather be on at 40 ...where most of my shots are likely to be.... than have to guess at that range. But then I have yet to take a 50 meter shot.
Last edited by Cossack on Tue May 06, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
wathst

Post by wathst »

Thanks guys,
I guess I'll go with yards and recalibrate my compound also to yards and change my rangefinder that way also.
Dash

Post by Dash »

I'm not familiar with the tact zone scope, but from what you say it does sound like it has a speed ring. I'm very surprised by these answers you got.
My excalibur/hawke/ leupold crossbow scope crosshairs were all adjusted at 20 meters and the scopes were dead accurate out to 50 meters by adjusting the speed ring to the correct POI at that set distance, no difference whether metric or imperial.
The tact zone scope does have crosshair adjustment and a speed ring doesn't it?
wathst

Post by wathst »

Maybe the last word on the subject. Encouraged by Dash’s comment I put some more thought to this. You can set the 20 mark of the crosshairs to zero in at any distance by using the elevation adjustment. you can set it to zero in at 10 yards, 15 yards, whatever. So I zeroed in at 20 m instead of 20 yds, no problem. Now the Tact-Zone scope works on crossbows of different speeds by moving the speed ring, so I reasoned that if I had a slower speed bow than my fantastic Matrix 380, say the Matrix 330, the distance between the 20 and 30 marks would be wider than they have to be for the 380. The arrow would drop more between 20 yds and 30 yds with the slower speed bow, so the crossbow line of sight would have to be raised a little higher, corresponding to more space between the 20 and 30 mark. And if I were shooting at 35 yards I would raise the 30 mark just above the aiming point. Now the distance between 20 m and 30 m is a little bit more than the distance between 20 yds and 30 yds,, so the distance between the 20 and 30 marks would be larger for metres than for yards. So I pretended my bow was slower than it is. Remember it is dead on at 20 m. I put the target at 30 m. I set the speed ring at 370, sighted the 30 on the bullseye - too low, at 360 still too low but closer, - 350, too high - 355 still too high but really close, 356 (approx) dead on! :D The true test will be at 40 m, when it warms up a bit.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Dont go by numbers on the speed ring, just set the ring to where you hit the bullseye at that set distance and you wont go wrong. Center at 20 & speed ring at 40 or 50
Enjoy...
cb175

Post by cb175 »

Can you guys think of a way of applying this to the HHA Optimizer sight which has all the supplied tapes in yards. Can I set one of these to work 10 - 60 meters?
dabluz

Post by dabluz »

Yes....you can adjust the telescope to meters instead of yards.

Yes, you can adjust your optimiser to meters instead of yards.
Vortex
Dash

Post by Dash »

cb175 wrote:Can you guys think of a way of applying this to the HHA Optimizer sight which has all the supplied tapes in yards. Can I set one of these to work 10 - 60 meters?
Just use a blank sticker strip on the optimizer. Shoot with the target set at the different distances such as 20/30/40/50 etc.
adjust the optimizer until the arrow hits target center at that distance, then put a reference mark on the blank tape strip when POI matches that target distance.
cb175

Post by cb175 »

Thanks, Dash. That is what I figured I would need to do. The tapes have 1 yard calibrations on them which allows for fine adjustment (especially on a slope). I really only need 5m intervals out to 60m so I can do what you suggest.
Dash

Post by Dash »

You're welcome
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

Dumb question, the difference between 30 yards & 30 meters is about 8 feet. Is this enough to worry about for hunting or am I missing something? Thanks
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Dash

Post by Dash »

If you're shooting a large target like a deer at close range, and assuming that's the only thing that you use you're bow for, near enough may be good enough for you.
But why would you buy a quality bow that can shoot hole in hole, and then set the sights up so it can be over 6 inches off the mark out to 50 yards?