Camo material for ladder stand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kegbelly

Camo material for ladder stand

Post by Kegbelly »

Looking for suggestions for some camo material to put around a couple ladder stands for this fall. I used the 3-d leaf-cut stuff last year (I think it was Allen brand) and it blends in well but after one season (approx 4 months) outdoors it's rotten and falling apart. Is the burlap camo material any more durable? I take the stands down and store them in the garage in the off season, would like to get a couple season's of use out of some material. Need to cover two 2-man stands this fall like this:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
xbowhunter10

Re: Camo material for ladder stand

Post by xbowhunter10 »

I tried the burlap around a ladder stand and from standing looking back at it you could see right through it . Maybe they make better grades of burlap than I had though ?
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

I'd just zip tie a bunch of those pine branches to it, keep it simple :D
I'm a simple kinda hunter, like natural blinds....
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I can't sit still for hours on end like I used to, after about 2 hours I start squirming and gotta move around some so I need something to hide behind :lol:
You guys gave me an idea though... I saw some heavy burlap bags at a odd and end junk store recently, I could zip tie a few of those around the shooting rail and weave some little pine branches thru the holes in the burlap... hmmm :idea:
Matrix 380
Exomag
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Kegbelly wrote:I can't sit still for hours on end like I used to, after about 2 hours I start squirming and gotta move around some so I need something to hide behind :lol:
You guys gave me an idea though... I saw some heavy burlap bags at a odd and end junk store recently, I could zip tie a few of those around the shooting rail and weave some little pine branches thru the holes in the burlap... hmmm :idea:
There ya go, now yer thinkin!
My area has a lot of Hemlock an pine, I try to make use of them, the needles will stay on for two or three weeks after ya cut the branches.
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

What about this... I've heard of guys using branches from artificial Christmas trees.... Might have a project for the weekend, I wonder if the Mrs would miss our tree :lol:
Matrix 380
Exomag
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I use a product called PRIMOS Realtree hardwoods green IRONSIDE which is 60" x 30' Model 6582. I cut off about 15' for a 2 man ladder stand and use zip ties to secure it to the shooting rail. Seems to last at least a couple of years. You have to sort of pull it over your head when climbing in to the stand. I use 2 pull ropes on my stands, one for the CB/gun & one for the pack. This leaves both hands free & I wear a HSS harness because I fell 16' once.

I believe you can get this from Wing Supply, PO Box 367, 625 Opportunity Way, Greenville, KY 42345.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

That looks good Deerstalker.
Yeah that's one of the drawbacks I also found, it hangs down and kinda gets in the way when you flip the rail up to get in the stand. Worth the added concealment though IMO.
Matrix 380
Exomag
grouse

Post by grouse »

I bought a 10' X 12' camo tarp @ Home Depot.com. I then bought a grommet kit and doubled the tarp over and put grommets in it every 15". Finally, I zip tied the grommets to my shooting rail. It conceals everything below it and it blocks the wind. My stand is a 360 degree tripod so you would probable need a smaller tarp.

The tarp is good as new after one season. I'm going to leave it up all year. changing it is cheap and easy.
axiom
350 SE
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I only wanted to cover up the front of my two man stand, so I bought camo material and glued it(and some staples) to a sheet of chloroplast and hung it using zip ties to the rail of my stand. Works great, it goes up and down with the rail so I can get in and out no problem, and when I leave my stand I leave the rail up and the sheet of chloroplast covers most of my seat helping protect it from rain/snow.
I left it up all winter and it looked fine when I snowshoed in a few weeks ago.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Thanks for the ideas!
I have to ask, what is chloroplast? I googled it and I all I got was weird pictures of plant biology :lol:
Matrix 380
Exomag
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Maybe its a French word but thats what we call it here, its that plastic that they make for sale signs when you sell your house, or election signs. I ran out of time last year to do any more than the front and majority of the time the deer come from in front of me, but this smmef I will figure out something for the sides and back.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

OK, thanks Bullzeye. Didnt know if that was a stiff material or a thin plastic sheet like a painter's dropcloth.
Matrix 380
Exomag