405 String Matainance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bird

405 String Matainance

Post by Bird »

You ain't lived till you try to unstring the BEAST. If there was ever a need for a C2, I think I just had a real life experience as to why I will order me one ! Maybe I did something wrong, Bill made it look so easy on his video. Only thing I can figure is we all need a humbling experience from time to time and he wasn't working on 290 lbs. of whoop A$$ bent fiberglass. Nuff Said :roll:
racking up points

Re: 405 String Matainance

Post by racking up points »

Do you mean uncock or unstring?

What exactly happened? Did the T-handle slip out of your hand?

Most people would struggle cocking the 405. I can imagine it would be even harder to uncock it. You could always just shoot a discharge arrow...cheaper. Unless of course you have trouble cocking it, the C2 is king there for sure.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Are you using the rope cocker with the stringing aid? Put the stringing aid on the limbs and use the rope cocker to hook on the stringing aid and pull it back just like you're cocking the bow. It should be a lot easier than cocking it since you're only pulling the limbs back a fraction of the way back.

edit... to uncock the bow, whether it's a full draw or partial draw with the stringing aid, here's how I do it:
1. REMOVE ARROW. Trust me, you'll wish you did :oops:
2. Plant foot firmly in stirrup
3. attach rope cocker hooks to the string on both sides of the rail, just like when you cock it
4. I'm right handed so I work the safety, trigger and ADF with my right hand. With my left hand I pull the cocking rope all the way up until the right handle is against the right hook. PULL UP on the left handle and rope, you want tension on the rope so it doesnt jerk it out of your hand. Ask me how I know that too :oops: With a firm hold on the rope handle, release safety, and with a solid grip on the stock slowly pull the trigger (and ADF if you have it)
5. With the left hand ease the rope down until it stops. You're done.
It sounds worse than it is, the first few times I did it I was pretty nervous about it, but after you've done it a few times you'll think there's nothing to it.

I uncock my 380 with one hand this way, others might think it's a bad way to do it but I found that trying to hold both handles and work the safety and trigger at the same time was too much, I had the right handle yanked out of my hand one time and the hook flung back and popped me in the head. It hurt. Just be careful and take it slow and make sure the hooks are on the string and you have a solid grip on the handle.
Last edited by Kegbelly on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Before I bought my 405, I didn't own a stringing-aid. I would string all my Excaliburs with one foot in the stirrup and using one hand to flex the limbs, while using the other to remove or put the string on.

Before you think otherwise, at only 5' 6" and 165lbs, I'm a far cry from He-Man. :roll: It's all technique, and I still use that method for all my other Excaliburs

However, "the Matrix changes everything". I have no hope in Hades to even flex the limbs any appreciable amount, let alone stringing it. However, using a string-aid in conjunction with my cocking-aid I don't have a problem.

Like I said, I'm a small guy and at 61 y.o., not exactly young. Even so, until I have my health and strength, I'll refrain from getting a C2. Not because I'm proud, but rather since I find it quicker and less of a hassle.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
pinshooter

Post by pinshooter »

I've always used a stringing aid even on the standard models. Much easier
John 3:16
Camo Matrix 380
Bird

Post by Bird »

Yes, I did use the Excalibur stringing aid and my rope cocker. There are several things that make this a little more difficult for me than just cocking the bow. 1) I have shoulder problems when I try to do something over head or above my shoulder line, lets just say it will make me almost wet my pants with pain. :wink: 2) the stringing aid pulls from a different point than the string on the limbs (closer to the pivot point) requiring more effort to flex the limbs. 3) The stringing aid with the plastic sleeve some how doesn't fit well with the hooks on the cocking rope. Starting to see this develop ? :lol: :lol: 4) Add in some ( no lots of operator inexperience :shock: and error) along with trying to hold this much weight at an extended height. 5) Did I mention I was bare foot, and you have the makings of an accident looking for a place to happen. Anyway the plastic sleeve on the stringing aid got hung up behind the ADF and I could not relieve the tension enough to get it to release. For some reason (more operator error I am sure) it would not allow me to fully cock it either. Finally, I was able to slip the string back on the bow and get the tension off the plastic sleeve so I could slid it from under the ADF (it was dug in well). Then I was able to fully cock and release the bow. A couple of Advil later, I ordered my C2 for future stringing adventures.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Personally I find the plastic sleeve more of a pain than a help. I do not use it.

There's a few of options that make stringing easier.
  • A:) Slide the sleeve off to one side, and use the cocking aid hooks just on the string of the stringing-aid.

B:) Disassemble one side of the stinger and remove the sleeve altogether.

C:) If you'd like to protect the string from both the hooks of the cocking aid and those of the trigger, you can put some serving in the center of the stringer.
Whatever you decide, I recommend not using the plastic sleeve, since it's a PITA. :roll:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.

Post by newbie »

ComfyBear wrote:Personally I find the plastic sleeve more of a pain than a help. I do not use it.

There's a few of options that make stringing easier.
  • A:) Slide the sleeve off to one side, and use the cocking aid hooks just on the string of the stringing-aid.

B:) Disassemble one side of the stinger and remove the sleeve altogether.

C:) If you'd like to protect the string from both the hooks of the cocking aid and those of the trigger, you can put some serving in the center of the stringer.
Whatever you decide, I recommend not using the plastic sleeve, since it's a PITA. :roll:
x2 just serve he string. Don the good guy he is served my stringing aid when i picked it up from him.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
strum

Post by strum »

X2 on the plastic sleave don't understand why its there. the first thing I do Is take mine off and put serving in its place. never had a problem since..
as far as the bare feet :shock: you may want to wrap some serving on them puppies too :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16

Post by newbie »

strum wrote:X2 on the plastic sleave don't understand why its there. the first thing I do Is take mine off and put serving in its place. never had a problem since..
as far as the bare feet :shock: you may want to wrap some serving on them puppies too :lol: :lol: :lol:
oh i missed the bare feet part. I had a misshap in worn out sandles once the scope bit me pretty good.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Bird

Post by Bird »

I think the plastic sleeve was to grab (keep string from cutting into your fingers) and hand cock without the use of a cocking rope. Don't think Excal ever tried that on the heavy Matrix series. I can barley lift the string enough to get the rope cocker on it. Someone at Excal needs to update the instructional video. :lol:
TYE

Post by TYE »

Easiest way to unstring a crossbow = DRYFIRE :lol: