tact zone illumination dial detaches while shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Matrix380NC

tact zone illumination dial detaches while shooting

Post by Matrix380NC »

Decided to get the matrix380 out today to do some shooting since putting it up after deer season. Of course still getting used to spring turkey in nc opening in april. Grew up in NH where you could only hunt till noon during spring turkey season for the month of May. Well back to the current issue at hand.
Was doing some shooting at 20 yards just to get things warmed up and after the 5th shot into the rinehart 18 in 1 I heard a whizzing sound when shooting the 6th bolt. After getting to my target I went to recock the bow and the side illumination dial basically detached as an entire unit and was laying off to the side of where I was shooting. This is the first issue I've had with any excalibur bow and with the increased speed of this compared to my exomax it looks like the vibes did their damage. Glad this happened during target shooting and not during deer season and of course not with a turkey in my sights.
Time to give Danny Miller a call friday morning and see if he can work some magic. Bow is about 5 months young so I'm sure it will be a simple fix. The local shop of course doesn't want to separate their stock of scopes to matrix's so we'll see what happens.
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up since so far after 50 shots this bow is great but the tact zone assembly could use some re-engineering. At least my leupold rings are still on the scope and it looks like a simple case of metal fatigue.
yooper_man

Re: tact zone illumination dial detaches while shooting

Post by yooper_man »

Honestly, I suggest you upgrade to a Leupold scope. Danny Miller can help with a exchange.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Matrix380NC

Post by Matrix380NC »

I'm more than happy with the tact zone and I'd like to just get it replaced before our spring opener in april. One of my coworkers has a leupold on his 355 but I really like the compactness of it and the easy reticle. Possibly an idea when deer season gets here but I'd like to do some turkey hunting with this first since it's really not fair to the turkeys with tc encore 20 ga and Federal Heavy Weight turkey shot. That combo is good to 45 yards with the stock choke and doesn't beat you up like my tc 12ga did. 6 pounds is light but too light for me in a turkey gun, these NC turkeys are pretty wiley creatures and definately silent runners too as I've found out. Definately a big learning curve compared to hunting VT/NH/ME/ and VT.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Well once again Danny Miller can help you with the warranty exchange.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

My tact zone went bad and it's only about a month old and only 3 days of shooting, all together prob under 65 shoots. Going to exchange mine and get the leupold crossbones. Heard mostly great things about that scope. Danny will be gone until prob around Wednesday.
"He is not a fool to gives the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot lose"
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Its like a desease everybody who comes on the forum for a couple days catches it I never caught it my TactZone was good to me and I had no problems
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

If you kept turning it forward to turn it on you could have loosened it The red was forward and green backwards
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

JPjunkie wrote:Its like a desease everybody who comes on the forum for a couple days catches it I never caught it my TactZone was good to me and I had no problems

Or just maybe the TactZone fails to live up to and perform as we have come expect of Excalibur.

I for one welcome the input by those that have had issues.

It is clear by the number of posts about issues with the TactZone and it's short comings that it may be time for it to be retired from the Excal Lineup.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

It is clear by the number of posts about issues with the TactZone and it's short comings that it may be time for it to be retired from the Excal Lineup.
Retirement for the Tact-Zone. :shock:

Usually when something is retired, it's because it has earned its keep. With the Tact-Zone barely out of the starting gate, it's a far cry from having earned an equitable return on its investment.

I might be wrong, but I figure, while it comprises part of a Matrix package, it will linger on; only to be passed on from hand to hand until total interest in it is lost, at which time it will finally die a merciful death. :roll:
Last edited by ComfyBear on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

JPjunkie wrote:Its like a desease everybody who comes on the forum for a couple days catches it I never caught it my TactZone was good to me and I had no problems
I would love to send you both the tactzone scopes I had to see if you catch the same disease. It's not someone's fault for purchasing a flawed product. Obviously some are good, like yours, and some are bad. I think your comment about coming on the forum a couple days is disrespectful and mildly offensive. I mean you no disrespect but that's how I see it. Whether someone is new or not they have the right to post their questions or concerns...in a productive manner, not an At/Rockstar manner. Just my opinion. :)
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

The reality of the situation is the Tact-Zone has done very well warranty wise and we are getting about 1.5% return of all the Tact-Zone scopes we have sold. So the Tact-Zone really does not deserve the bad press its getting. With social media these days people tend to voice their problems freely and quickly giving the impression the sky is falling. But when you look at the big picture the Tact Zone is doing well. I had people come to me at Harrisburg upset that the Tact-Zone was not on the 405 because they like the scope so well.

Yes stuff can happen and things will fail, that happens with everything ever made. We do keep a close eye on return rates and problems, that is actually one of my jobs. Some early Tact-Zone did have some blur issues that have been resolved. The part I can never figure out is why some people have zero problems and others go through 3 scopes in a row with issues, it makes no sense. :shock:

Our scopes all have a lifetime warranty and if you ever have an issue we will replace it free of charge. We would appreciate that you contact us first before posting your issues on public forums. We will look after you to the best of our ability. Posting problems on forums just starts a feeding frenzy. :D

Peter
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

The part I can never figure out is why some people have zero problems and others go through 3 scopes in a row with issues, it makes no sense. :shock:
Peter I agree, it doesn't make sense. Unfortunately, human nature is such that it's perception rather than reality that influences one's opinion. That is why in marketing, as in life, it's not what is, but rather what is perceived which influences human reaction.

Unfortunately, once someone personally encounters a problem with a product, it's normal for them to be skeptical, and look for that problem to reoccur in that product. We all know the saying, "If you're looking for trouble, you'll certainly find it."
Hence that is why, in my opinion, the repeat "perceived" issues.

Peter, since I don't and never owned a Tact-Zone, personally I can't judge it in either a positive or negative way. All I can do is look at the facts. According to your stats:
  • the Tact-Zone has done very well warranty wise and we are getting about 1.5% return of all the Tact-Zone scopes we have sold. So the Tact-Zone really does not deserve the bad press its getting.
That to me speaks volumes. If that is indeed the case, then the Tact-Zone doesn't deserve the "bad press" it is receiving. I suppose one should try to keep an open mind, before passing judgement. Although it's rather difficult, when one constantly hears others complaining.

Unfortunately:
Posting problems on forums just starts a feeding frenzy. :D
Yes indeed, most folks tend to be like sheep, and are easily led, or should I say misled. It's easy to jump unto the band-wagon, and it seems that the damage has been done. Now the $64 thousand question is how can it be undone.

That is beyond my realm, and thus I'll leave in the capable hands of the Excalibur principals. I have faith, to date they have always found a solution, I trust they will continue to do so. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

ComfyBear wrote:
The part I can never figure out is why some people have zero problems and others go through 3 scopes in a row with issues, it makes no sense. :shock:
Peter I agree, it doesn't make sense. Unfortunately, human nature is such that it's perception rather than reality that influences one's opinion. That is why in marketing, as in life, it's not what is, but rather what is perceived which influences human reaction.

Unfortunately, once someone personally encounters a problem with a product, it's normal for them to be skeptical, and look for that problem to reoccur in that product. We all know the saying, "If you're looking for trouble, you'll certainly find it."
Hence that is why, in my opinion, the repeat "perceived" issues.

Peter, since I don't and never owned a Tact-Zone, personally I can't judge it in either a positive or negative way. All I can do is look at the facts. According to your stats:
  • the Tact-Zone has done very well warranty wise and we are getting about 1.5% return of all the Tact-Zone scopes we have sold. So the Tact-Zone really does not deserve the bad press its getting.
That to me speaks volumes. If that is indeed the case, then the Tact-Zone doesn't deserve the "bad press" it is receiving. I suppose one should try to keep an open mind, before passing judgement. Although it's rather difficult, when one constantly hears others complaining.

Unfortunately:
Posting problems on forums just starts a feeding frenzy. :D
Yes indeed, most folks tend to be like sheep, and are easily led, or should I say misled. It's easy to jump unto the band-wagon, and it seems that the damage has been done. Now the $64 thousand question is how can it be undone.

That is beyond my realm, and thus I'll leave in the capable hands of the Excalibur principals. I have faith, to date they have always found a solution, I trust they will continue to do so. :wink:
I agree with you completely. Let me also add to my previous post by saying that when I had issues with my scopes they were dealt with quickly and easily. Excalibur's service was wonderful and they were a pleasure to deal with. I don't doubt that the tactzone scopes are great but if they fail you're taken care of, period.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
colouredchameleon

Baa
colouredchameleon

1.5% failure rate . :shock: