why that broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big John

Re: why that broadhead

Post by Big John »

Norm is quite close. But yours will be lighter!
Less the Lumenok weight. :wink:
And I would not hesitate using those on Deer as well! 8)
I keep trying different Broadheads every year. Just like to know what I'm talking when discussed. Proably tried a couple dozen. Many were sold on here afterward.
The most accurate I'm seeing from fixed and the Matrix Bow are The G5 Montecs.
The Exodus wasn't bad either. Slick Tricks are always on my hunting trips anyway, but,
the Montecs will be flying from the 380 this season!
However, I quite agree that the mechanicals have come a long way form earlier versions.
Some being .40 thickness blades now. :shock: I would use many of them no problem!

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

the reason i asked was,thinking those for deer not turkey(till now) but wondered if i could get close to my weight of which iam shooting now out of the 355 and thats 383gr i see that its going to be close!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Big John wrote:Norm is quite close. But yours will be lighter!
Less the Lumenok weight. :wink:
And I would not hesitate using those on Deer as well! 8)
I keep trying different Broadheads every year. Just like to know what I'm talking when discussed. Proably tried a couple dozen. Many were sold on here afterward.
The most accurate I'm seeing from fixed and the Matrix Bow are The G5 Montecs.
The Exodus wasn't bad either. Slick Tricks are always on my hunting trips anyway, but,
the Montecs will be flying from the 380 this season!
However, I quite agree that the mechanicals have come a long way form earlier versions.
Some being .40 thickness blades now. :shock: I would use many of them no problem!

Big John

Sounds good John can't wait to have the final product so I can do some testing with the 355!!!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I'm a big fan of the mechanicals, and specifically I have grown to like the Rage products. Certainly not for the price as they are some of the most expensive out there. I find them to be reliable, very accurate and extremely deadly.

That being said I know there are lots of other reliable fixed blade and mechanical broadheads out there as well. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Wonder what KE is pushin those NAP 170gr 3" cut BH's ? I was pushin almost 70KE wid a 400gr total usin swhacker 2" barely gotstid a pass-through on oa Doe i killed
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
cb750

Post by cb750 »

Not sure if this will answer your question but I found a Kinetic Energy Calculator on Gold Tips site. http://www.goldtip.com/calculators.aspx
Equinox
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

vixenmaster wrote:Wonder what KE is pushin those NAP 170gr 3" cut BH's ? I was pushin almost 70KE wid a 400gr total usin swhacker 2" barely gotstid a pass-through on oa Doe i killed
My opinion is that momentum and not KE will affect penetration more. I think a heavier arrow like maybe 450 or 500 would have gotten you more penetration and probably the pass thru....... which is my goal for every shot

Maybe it's time to make some new homemade ballistics gel and do some more experimenting!! :mrgreen:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I'm unconvinced of the good doc's theory on momentum vs kinetic energy. I think it looks great on paper and the traditional shooters love and swear by it. I for one would rather see a 400 gr. arrow with a super short chisel point bh smash through a shoulder at 360fps than a 600 gr. arrow at 200fps. with a 3-1 bh.. I think there's a balanced sweet spot with weight and velocity.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Y'all probably have already read this but it's pretty interesting, and it touches on the momentum vs KE topic.

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/pra ... netration/
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I jus posted on this at i have found Spitfires work well wid 60lbs KE under 30yds, but they're dimpled clips. 100gr 2" Swhackers bein banded take more oompf to open. I am waitin on this yrs season to open to try to finish up swhackers & Toxics
Half Bubble Off BD360

Twisted Mister

Post by Twisted Mister »

Hey all, I'm new to crossbows, but not archery in general. i have used Rage for a couple years, but the fellow that sold me this Vortex told me to stay away fro mechanical heads, said he did not like them. he gave me 6 NAP Thunder Head and said they were the best for that bow. He said he shot a bunch, and these fly good as anything, and cut through. i have not shot them yet, but he seemed smart about them.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Twisted Mister wrote:Hey all, I'm new to crossbows, but not archery in general. i have used Rage for a couple years, but the fellow that sold me this Vortex told me to stay away fro mechanical heads, said he did not like them. he gave me 6 NAP Thunder Head and said they were the best for that bow. He said he shot a bunch, and these fly good as anything, and cut through. i have not shot them yet, but he seemed smart about them.
I would say try them out at 20-30 & 40 yds & see how you like them. Welcome to the Forum
Half Bubble Off BD360

nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

paulaboutform wrote:I'm unconvinced of the good doc's theory on momentum vs kinetic energy. I think it looks great on paper and the traditional shooters love and swear by it. I for one would rather see a 400 gr. arrow with a super short chisel point bh smash through a shoulder at 360fps than a 600 gr. arrow at 200fps. with a 3-1 bh.. I think there's a balanced sweet spot with weight and velocity.
What convinced me was the good docs physics. Especially when you consider the resistance forces and how they vary with the square of velocity. It is also hard for me to argue with his real world data from shooting real animals. But heck half the fun with these bows is shooting stuff and playing around. Let's do some experimenting!! Come up with a plan and test it out. Shoot a couple of different weight arrows into stuff and see what you see. What I know from all my shooting is that a heavier arrow retains more KE at distance than a lighter one when shot from the same bow. That tells the air is resisting the heavy arrow less. So my thought is why should animal tissue act any different?

However I do agree that three is probably some middle ground that would be good. Dr ashby is definitely on the super heavy arrow side.
Keep in mind that VM is shooting a lower poundage bow hence my thought on a heavier arrow with thst particular BH.

Keg belly. I stopped reading when I saw the KE is King quote. If that were true it would be simple to prove and we would not be having this discussion. Lots of really smart people have looking at the penetration issue. To understate it wuite a bit ..... it's a pretty complicated thing.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Twisted Mister

Post by Twisted Mister »

Thanks, i think i will try the Spitfire, been reading about them here, seem to be the best choice in mechanical heads. I'll try the ones that i got free too, but i like mechanical heads.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

nchunterkw wrote:
Keg belly. I stopped reading when I saw the KE is King quote. If that were true it would be simple to prove and we would not be having this discussion. Lots of really smart people have looking at the penetration issue. To understate it wuite a bit ..... it's a pretty complicated thing.
I'm not saying the author is right or wrong because I honestly don't know, but about two paragraphs after you stopped reading LOL he says the formula for momentum is very similar to the formula for KE, and the differences between the two are so minor that they don't seem to make a difference in the real world.

I go along with what paulaboutform said, which follows what Big John said ... in my experience I've found about 375 grains total weight and a razor sharp COC broadhead to be about the perfect blend of speed and weight for a flatter trajectory, excellent accuracy, and still maintain way more than enough KE to ensure complete pass thru's on whitetail deer. I've never NOT had a complete pass-thru with that combination shooting in the upper 320-fps range with my exomag. When my Big John arrows get here I'll be shooting 380 grains total weight with the M380 at an estimated 360 fps, thats about 109 KE and almost 3 times what's needed to take a whitetail. Provided i do my part and place my shots well, I don't foresee having any penetration issues :wink:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers