using 20 inch firebolt with my m380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

axiluc

using 20 inch firebolt with my m380

Post by axiluc »

well got my scope replaced from excalibur its working great but the 4 diablo bolts i have all fly differently so i tryed using my firebolts and im hitting dimes at 40 yars and a 2 to 3 inch group at 60 yards so i dont know if i got a bad batch of bolts but anyway happy with the results of the firebolts..and the m 380 wow impressed is all i can say...
LongCarbine

Re: using 20 inch firebolt with my m380

Post by LongCarbine »

I would use what shoots best out of your bow.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Do the 20" hang over the stirrup with the M380?
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
axiluc

Post by axiluc »

taz3 wrote:Do the 20" hang over the stirrup with the M380?
well the bolt is almost at the end of the stir up you couldnt put your foot in it witch is good you cant release the bow without removing the bolt..
axiluc

Post by axiluc »

LongCarbine wrote:I would use what shoots best out of your bow.
yap thats my plan :)
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I shot a few 20" firebolts from my 380 this afternoon just to see how they did. Odd, but they were about 5 fps slower than the same weight diablo. They hit a little bit higher too but they were consistent, they shot fine. With a 125 gr tip they sit just inside the front of the stirrup but with a broadhead they'd stick out past it.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
diesel

Post by diesel »

Rotate your cock vane and shoot those arrows again and see if it improves your grouping
axiluc

Post by axiluc »

diesel wrote:Rotate your cock vane and shoot those arrows again and see if it improves your grouping
will try that , i had marked them and was always using the same vane down i had one bolt that was hitting good but as soon as i would use a different bolt it would b off, im waiting on 6 new diablo's so will try those... thanks!!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The length may not be a problem...other than sticking out over the end of the bow. Actually the longer arrow has a slightly higher ballistic coefficient and should 'glide' better (cause for higher hits even though it's heavier?) But you don't mention the FOC of the longer arrows, or the spine. Both could affect it's accuracy if not matched to your bow. BTW speed decreases by 1 fps for every 4 grains of added weight.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
axiluc

Post by axiluc »

Cossack wrote:The length may not be a problem...other than sticking out over the end of the bow. Actually the longer arrow has a slightly higher ballistic coefficient and should 'glide' better (cause for higher hits even though it's heavier?) But you don't mention the FOC of the longer arrows, or the spine. Both could affect it's accuracy if not matched to your bow. BTW speed decreases by 1 fps for every 4 grains of added weight.
im willing to loose a bit of speed for accuracy will keep testing though thanks
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

When I bought my 380 from Dave at Wyvern's creations he told me that from what has been reported to him and what he has seen that the 20 in arrows seem to fly better then the 18 in. and that he found that the Black Eagle Executioners flew much better then the Firebolts. So that's what I bought I have only shot mine out to 30 yards so far but I am very happy with the results I have. When the weather warms up a bit I will go to our clubs outside range and try them at much longer range.
axiluc

Post by axiluc »

The Chief wrote:When I bought my 380 from Dave at Wyvern's creations he told me that from what has been reported to him and what he has seen that the 20 in arrows seem to fly better then the 18 in. and that he found that the Black Eagle Executioners flew much better then the Firebolts. So that's what I bought I have only shot mine out to 30 yards so far but I am very happy with the results I have. When the weather warms up a bit I will go to our clubs outside range and try them at much longer range.
i have shot out to 60 yards with the 20 inch arrows and at 60 im shooting 3 inch groups at 20 30 40 bulls eye almost every shot im very happy with the results good luck to you...
axiluc

Post by axiluc »

phern wrote:I would hazard to say that a longer arrow will be more stable. How much 2 inches make is probably minimal but in your case, there seems to be a good difference.
yes it does i will keep testing with the 18 inch but if everything stays the same i will be hunting with the 20 inch bolts,,,