Quandry

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

retrieverman

Quandry

Post by retrieverman »

I am wanting a new crossbow and keep my tried and true Exomax as a back up, and I pretty much had my mind made up to buy a Matrix 380. Now that the 405 is available, I am second guessing my decision and am wondering if I should get the latest greatest. :roll:

I would appreciate some input from those more experienced.
agingcrossbower

Re: Quandry

Post by agingcrossbower »

If you feel that you have the back for it why not. Go for it! :D
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

The 405 could become your hunting only rig and the other for target. I don't think anyone who likes to shoot a lot would be well-served with only a 405, you'd need two... or three or four!
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I just went thru sort of the same thing, I wanted a 380 bad last year but decided to hold off and see what this year had to offer. When they announced the 405 I wanted one so bad I couldn't stand it, but I ended up going with the 380 anyhow for a couple reasons... for me the cost was a consideration. Reality bites :lol: Plus I like to plink and target shoot in the backyard, and I thought the 405 might be a bit too much for extended shooting sessions. I'm no wimp but I'm not Ahnold either. For strictly hunting, yeah it would be the ultimate. Not trying to persuade you one way or another, get the one YOU want, that was just the logic behind my decision. Good luck and happy shooting with whichever one you choose!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

retrieverman wrote:I am wanting a new crossbow and keep my tried and true Exomax as a back up, and I pretty much had my mind made up to buy a Matrix 380. Now that the 405 is available, I am second guessing my decision and am wondering if I should get the latest greatest. :roll:

I would appreciate some input from those more experienced.
If you don't get the 405 you will always wonder if you made the right decision or not
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

At 40 yds, no deer in the woods is going to outrun either bow. Kind of like shooting a 30-06 or a 7mm mag. Many a deer has fallen to the 30-06 even though it is only leaving the muzzle at 2600 fps compared to the 3500 fps of the 7 mag. I say, go find a store that has both and compare the feel. Shoot them several times and see if you notice a difference in cocking them. Also consider how long you intend to own the bow. None of us are getting any younger and cocking may become an issue down the road. Toby Kieth is a liar, we're not as good once as we ever were. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Yesterday, your max was the latest and greatest. Try before you buy. Judging from the effort it took to cock the 380s, the 405 will take some doing. I'm sticking with my Vortex......and several compound friends for close quarters use.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
massbow

Post by massbow »

love my old 355 light small and powerful!
Team 355
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

massbow wrote:love my old 355 light small and powerful!
Hows that Boo string doin :?:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
massbow

Post by massbow »

its a very nice string indeed! Getting ready to make the big john arrow jump.
Team 355
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Unbeatable combo nothins safe now :shock:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

As a follow up, I bought a Matrix 380, and it came in yesterday. My Exomax isn't that old, but wow, the Matrix seems to me like a huge step forward in crossbow technology.

I put an Eotech on it and took three shots to get it sighted it. I shot it again today, and it is a pleasure to shoot.

My son saw a group of hogs on our place today, and I'm thinking I would like to see if my new crossbow will kill a pig. Bet it will! :wink:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If it bleeds, that Matrix will kill it! There are a lot of guys taking hogs with their Vixens, on up. Enjoy that new bow, and hunt hard.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

UPSMAN wrote:At 40 yds, no deer in the woods is going to outrun either bow. Kind of like shooting a 30-06 or a 7mm mag. Many a deer has fallen to the 30-06 even though it is only leaving the muzzle at 2600 fps compared to the 3500 fps of the 7 mag. I say, go find a store that has both and compare the feel. Shoot them several times and see if you notice a difference in cocking them. Also consider how long you intend to own the bow. None of us are getting any younger and cocking may become an issue down the road. Toby Kieth is a liar, we're not as good once as we ever were. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dennis, Toby is just dilutional.Nobody thinks of themselves as over the hill. Thats a hard pill to swallow!
I'de go for the 405. Being from TEXAS you gotta go big or go home. :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Y'all can see Toby is big :lol: Now fer us other run of the mill ppl. tryin to be big. Like me blowed out my back doin dumb stuff in the military when young. Toten safe boxes wid no help at 250-300 lbs. 380 is a very nice choice fer those still in decent shape. The 405 is sumpin myself would avoid now. Thats why i went wid the 355, i still can cock it enuff to sight BH's in widout a cranker :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315