Turkey spring time close/ favorite mouth call?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RonnieM

Turkey spring time close/ favorite mouth call?

Post by RonnieM »

Trying to learn to learn/use mouth calls. Seems like the only thing I am doing is driving my wife crazy. Do some decent yelps and kee Kees. Then seems to go down hill. I have learned that I tend to better with bigger ones cause I end up trimming them down some then I lose my sound. Gets way to high pitched with air passing around. Anyways, just wondering suggestions on a good one to start out. I know double reed and lots of practice
"He is not a fool to gives the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot lose"
Fred T

Re: Turkey spring time close/ favorite mouth call?

Post by Fred T »

I'm trying to learn these things as well.I'm still not past the gagging stage.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

I can work the box and slate calls, work, still a long ways to go to be good. I just need to get the mouth call down so I can have my hands free on my crossbow. It's driving me crazy. I listen and listen to calls, videos, articles, just wondering thoughts on mouth calls.
"He is not a fool to gives the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot lose"
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I'm by FAR no expert with any turkey call much less the mouth call. I can hold my own with one until it comes to purring...couldn't do it if my life depended on it. :x :?
Once i get the bird in close i try to shut down any calling if i can...will cut a few times to get him to lift his head if needed, just what works for me.
I use the Primos calls, descent price and good sounds. :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

georgiaboy wrote:I'm by FAR no expert with any turkey call much less the mouth call. I can hold my own with one until it comes to purring...couldn't do it if my life depended on it. :x :?
Once i get the bird in close i try to shut down any calling if i can...will cut a few times to get him to lift his head if needed, just what works for me.
I use the Primos calls, descent price and good sounds. :D
Ive never Turkey hunted but I would snatch one of the little buggers up and make him sing like a canary til his friends came to help and kill em all :lol: :lol: Just Kiddin I bet you could get some good info on a turkey huntin site if there is one But like everyone always says theres an app for that :lol:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

Got a few apps for all different turkey sounds plus videos on how to work them. Been all over them plus talking to my brother, he had always turkey hunted. He just told me to go sit out in the woods for a few days and listen to them. Then my in laws can make slate calls and all that. Just taking it all in.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

RonnieM wrote:Got a few apps for all different turkey sounds plus videos on how to work them. Been all over them plus talking to my brother, he had always turkey hunted. He just told me to go sit out in the woods for a few days and listen to them. Then my in laws can make slate calls and all that. Just taking it all in.
I can see your on it one thing I never hunted But that is the best way to learn there laguage by listenin to the source I would always be worried I would say the wrong thing :shock: But good Luck to ya Hope you kill a big one :D
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

Will do. Come April going to post some good pics of one with my 380..
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Hopefully the snow will be gone around here by then :shock: and I can get out and shoot this 405 a bunch
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Fred T wrote:I'm trying to learn these things as well.I'm still not past the gagging stage.
LMAO!! Nevered tried a mouth call but want to learn how to use one this spring too. I suppose I should get at it soon cuz the season opener isn't too far off. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

It's a skill I would dearly like to have.I was in an outdoor store recently and one of the salesman had one and was walking around yelping and chuckling etc.He was good ,it sounded like the real deal and he did it so effortlessly.I figured it can't be that hard to learn :roll: .WRONG.
Last edited by Fred T on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

Def an art to it. I know my wife is about to kill me, little girl likes it. Lots lots lots of practice
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

RonnieM wrote:Def an art to it. I know my wife is about to kill me,
Lol thats what my wife and daughters wanted to do last spring when I was learning/practicing with a box call.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I learned by listening. Bought some tapes and played them while driving (practicing on the deck drove my wife nuts). But visiting the turkey farm close by was very helpful. Got the volume of whines, purrs, clucks and putts down; and the sound not to make - the dreaded 3 putt alarm call - which they made whenever surprised. Then I could practice and pick calls to match their sound. Domestic birds may be all white but they talk the same language.
Purrs are the hardest for me - gotta have a very flexible tongue - they are not essential as they are a up-close talk which can avoided altogether. Found that calling less is much better than too much. Makes the Tom come looking when everything is quiet. Just make an occasional whine to give them a direction.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
cb750

Post by cb750 »

Yeah definitely takes a lot. I Just picked up the Quaker Boy three pack and it is not easy. I sound more like some one having trouble breathing then any bird. Good thing its about 6 weeks to still till the season opens.
Equinox