Gettin' a 355. Couple questions.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

filly

Gettin' a 355. Couple questions.

Post by filly »

I'm the guy that posted about my Axiom a few months ago. Was shooting low, had to shim the front scope ring to correct. Anyway, I've since passed that bow on to my bro, and he's tickled with it. Me, I'm particular, and never did like that fact that I was having to shim things. Peter offered for me to send it in, but my bro was happy as is, so he's got it...ain't I a nice bro? Anyway, basically wanted to get away from the nylon rail and get into an aluminum one.

Decided on the 355. Got a couple questions:

1. Do I need the REDS, or Danny's version? I would think not since the bow comes without. What's the real purpose for either? Noise and vibration reducing? If it's not a bow/string wear/longevity issue, then I don't want them. The less stuff, the better. In other words, if I'm not hurting the bow or string by not having the bumpers, then I'll go without.

2. Brace height. What is it supposed to be? I am seeing differing advice on this.

Gracias
lvt01

Re: Gettin' a 355. Couple questions.

Post by lvt01 »

If you're deciding whether to go with a REDs or the Danny Miller version...I'd go with Danny's. Nothing to do to his, but bolt it on and you're ready to go. The REDs you should grind the head off the ball done a bit to get the rubber bumpers to last longer. Plus, his is less expensive and it's a might trimmer looking item hanging on the front end. Have had them both and like Danny's better. They reduce a little sound and I do mean a little. They help a little with the vibration and also a bit of insurance when you dry fire. Notice I said when you dry fire and not if. Very few ever go without doing it at least once.

If you add the rubber baby buggy bumpers of Dannny's or the Reds...you set your brace height so the string is about a string width off the rubber. Without them...then it's up to you how high or low you set your brace height. I'd say at least 5/8's of an inch from the end of the riser is a good place to start.

Enjoy the new box!!!
filly

Post by filly »

Well, like I said, if they are only for noise and vibration, then I don't want them. If it's a function thing that's "better" for the bow, then I'm onboard.
strum

Post by strum »

i checked my 380 and with the reds (1/8" or so gap) from the edge of the rail to the center of the string is 5/8"
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

String stops are mandatory for peak performance in my opinion? Calms the vibration and takes the guess work out of brace height adjustments.

My 355 would not be the same without them....

Jeff
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
massbow

Post by massbow »

same
Team 355
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

String stops help with a dry-fire situation, should extend life of limbs too. I wouldn't shoot a Matrix without them.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I like them for the vibration dampening they offer. Kind of like a guitar string that continues to vibrate and resonate thru the guitar body after you pluck it, or touching a finger to the string to stop the vibration. The REDS brings the string to a much quicker stop, it makes a difference IMO. I like my bows a lot better with them.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

more than anything else I think of the string stops as more of an insurance policy of sorts
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I do like my Danny Miller's (Version of the R.E.D.S.) Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers on my Matrix 355 for all the reasons mentioned above, plus they are only $25 for the set and more durable.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
filly

Post by filly »

I'll probably pick us some of Danny's. Now what about the stock string? Is it going to be the same one I had on my Axiom?
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

filly wrote:I'll probably pick us some of Danny's. Now what about the stock string? Is it going to be the same one I had on my Axiom?
Danny Miller has the best price in strings. The strings are different lengths compared to the Matrix series and wider limbs series found on the Axiom.

Give Danny a call @ (740) 483-2312. He is great man and is crossbow knowledgeable beyond measure.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

I have a matrix 355 with the R.E.D.S system and it does reduce the vibration slightly, I don't find much difference with the noise. I just put a Boo string on mine and love it
Boo

Post by Boo »

The stock string on your Axiom is an endless loop Dacron string. The stock string on a Matrix is a Dynaflight endless loop string. Dacron is a slower material.
Two items I would not do without is the anti-dryfire unit and an stringing aid.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
filly

Post by filly »

Not going to bother with the ADF unit. Not sure how folks dry fire these things. I've got a ritual down. Cock it and immediately, first thing, is put it on safe. It's like putting your car in D before you hit the gas.