Arrow Retainer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rattlerun

Arrow Retainer

Post by rattlerun »

Just put got a new Matrix 380 and have a question about the arrow retainer. It seems that it sits to close to the rail. My string actually pushes it up as I cock it. That would seem that it would give extra wear on both the arrows and the string. I tried to slightly bend it up, but it just goes back. I am afraid that if I force it up any more, I will put a kink in it. My 355 does not sit as low, and still holds the arrow fine. Any suggestions ?
strum

Re: Arrow Retainer

Post by strum »

sounds a little low to me..youll have to try to bend it .
I would try bending it at the bend(up by where it bolts on)
you just have to play with it and if you go to far its pull the scope mount time :D hope this helps ya man.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Seems like I recall there's supposed to be 5/16" between the hold down and the rail. Tweak it up to that.

If you get too much, the easy fix is to take a carbon arrow, put it across the rail, at 90 degrees to it, on top of the retainer, then pull it toward the back of the stock.

Clear as a bell, right? Use the angle on the front of the scope mount. You don't need to pull the scope mount to adj the retainer is the point.........
"Eze 18:21"
strum

Post by strum »

awshucks wrote:Seems like I recall there's supposed to be 5/16" between the hold down and the rail. Tweak it up to that.

If you get too much, the easy fix is to take a carbon arrow, put it across the rail, at 90 degrees to it, on top of the retainer, then pull it toward the back of the stock.

Clear as a bell, right? Use the angle on the front of the scope mount. You don't need to pull the scope mount to adj the retainer is the point.........
good tip shucks..i didn't think of that..i would have pulled the scope mount.. :roll:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Good suggestions. Mines sitting on the rail after I accidentally pulled the stringing aid up the wrong side of the retainer.I wasn't sure the correct amount of clearance and didn't want to bend it too much.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Fred T wrote:Good suggestions. Mines sitting on the rail after I accidentally pulled the stringing aid up the wrong side of the retainer.I wasn't sure the correct amount of clearance and didn't want to bend it too much.
If you shot it while touching the rail you may want to check the powder coating on the underneath surface of the retainer. It could be chipped and cracked from slapping the rail each time you shoot. The rough surface if it is could damage your string serving or arrow and maybe affect arrow flight.

Found the one on my Equinox damaged as such so I called CS and was sent a replacement.
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Thanks I'll check that.
5/16" ?That seems like a lot.I don't remember it having that much clearance.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Fred T wrote:Good suggestions. Mines sitting on the rail after I accidentally pulled the stringing aid up the wrong side of the retainer.I wasn't sure the correct amount of clearance and didn't want to bend it too much.
Fred, did the stringing aid still have the plastic sleeve on it? I 86 those sleeves and use my rope cocker w/ aid.

5/16=.312, think it's just enough pressure to hold the arrow in place and doesn't [as far as I can tell] slap the rail when you shoot.........
"Eze 18:21"
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

awshucks wrote:
Fred, did the stringing aid still have the plastic sleeve on it? I 86 those sleeves and use my rope cocker w/ aid.

5/16=.312, think it's just enough pressure to hold the arrow in place and doesn't [as far as I can tell] slap the rail when you shoot.........
Yes the plastic sleeve is on there,I just don't use it .I do use the cocking aid with it.I bent it back 1/8",was reluctant to try horsing it too much.I'm certain it is still hitting the rail so may have to remove the scope mount and try adjusting it.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
colouredchameleon

Have you called CS for assistance.
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

colouredchameleon wrote:Have you called CS for assistance.
No not yet.I may send an email to verify proper clearance.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
colouredchameleon

Fred T wrote:
colouredchameleon wrote:Have you called CS for assistance.
No not yet.I may send an email to verify proper clearance.
Try working out a replacement at same time . Once removed you may find cracks in powder coat so why not just replace rather than fool around hit and miss bending adjustments.