NEW VS TRADITIONAL STOCK DESIGN

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

NEW VS TRADITIONAL STOCK DESIGN

Post by CT.HNTR »

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I am looking at upgrading to the Matrix line but and would like to get your thoughts on the new Ergo-Grip stocks as compared to the traditional stock design. I currently have an Excocet 200 with a traditional stock. I first looked at the Vortex with the thumbhole stock but did not like the fact that I could not take the crossbow off safe while in a shooting position. With the traditional stock on the Exocet 200 I can be in a shooting position, cheek on stock, hand on grip, finger on trigger, and with just my thumb I can turn the safety off with little to no movement. Do people find this to be cumbersome with the Erg-Grip stock? Would you like to see the Matrix line offered with a traditional stock option?
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
paulaboutform

Re: NEW VS TRADITIONAL STOCK DESIGN

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the forum. I had the exomax before my m380 and I agree it's nice to be able to take the safety off in a shooting position without any other movements. But, I find it much more comfortable actually shooting with the thumbhole or matrix stock. The way I see it I don't sit with my crossbow at the ready on my shoulder so I can remove the safety as I'm ready to shoot. That just leaves the comfort factor and I actually find the matrix stock the most comfortable. Have you ever tried it? I'm not giving you the business I'm genuinely interested. Btw...What part of Ct are you from? I have a tonne of family there around the Middletown, Middlefield area and did some rabbit hunting in Lime and Old Lime years ago.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome to the forum! Go and get your hands on one and try it out!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Hi CTHNTR, welcome to the forum! I had the exact same thoughts before I got a Matrix. I have a traditional stock bow like you have, and one of my main concerns with the Matrix bows was the pistol grip and how it makes the safety harder to reach. I've never been a fan of thumbhole stocks, in fact other than a AR10 rifle I got last year this is the first thumbhole/pistol grip stock I've ever had. So I've had my M380 for about a month now, and I've gotten used to the ergo-grip and safety position, and I really like the stock. I dont have large hands but I can just rotate my hand upward and reach the safety without removing my hand from the grip. It takes a little more motion, but like anything new or different, it's something that you have to handle and shoot and get accustomed to, but now it's feels natural and I dont even think about it. For me it turned out to be much ado about nothing.
If they offered the Matrix in a traditional stock I would certainly consider one, but I really do like the feel of the new stock.
Edit to add.. like paulaboutfrom said, I find the new stock to be a lot more comfortable to actually shoot.
Last edited by Kegbelly on Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Hi Paul,

You’re up early in BC. Yes I have held both the 355 and 380 but have not had an opportunity to shoot them. They do balance very nice and are comfortable to shoulder. My only concern with the safety is that I need to move it to the off position before I am truly ready to pull the trigger and it requires more movement to do so. This would not be a problem in a ground blind but in a tree stand I try to cut movement down to a minimum. I may be overthinking this so I wanted to get the opinion of others who already own the Matrix line. With the older products Excalibur offered both stock versions as in the Equinox/Exomax and the Vortex/Exocet 200 and I was wondering if this would be a possibility down the road for the Matrix line also.

I live about 30 minutes south of Middletown about 7 miles from long island sound.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks
massbow

Post by massbow »

Never had the opportunity to shoot an older excel but I do love my 355. Fits me like a glove!
Team 355
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

It becomes second nature after a while. To me, comfort factor outweighs having to learn how to take the safety off with the bow shouldered.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Like Kegbelly said, I think once you had it for a short while you wouldn't even be aware of it anymore. Even with the extra twisting of the wrist, you're still behind the crossbow and you wouldn't be jerking your hand as fast as you can. I say give it a try, I bet you'd love it. (It is early here. I've been up since 4:00...I've got a brutal cold and I'm not used to being a mouth breather. Lol)
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I own both types of stocks on my Excals. I have never given it a thought to the safety on either model. I see deer or whatever game i am after, when i see it i decide to kill or let it walk. At that time i jus flip safety off while the deer is still comin. When it presents the shot i want pull trigger
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Hi kegbelly,

I went to Cabela’s this morning and checked out the 380 again. You’re correct that with a rotation of the wrist the safety can be manipulated without having to take one’s hand off the stock. I was able to do this while still looking through the scope which surprised me so I would agree that I should be able to get used to this pretty quickly. I guess all that’s left is to decide between the 355 or 380 and which scope, bolts and string to use. I am looking forward to the process!
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

CT.HNTR wrote:Hi kegbelly,

I went to Cabela’s this morning and checked out the 380 again. You’re correct that with a rotation of the wrist the safety can be manipulated without having to take one’s hand off the stock. I was able to do this while still looking through the scope which surprised me so I would agree that I should be able to get used to this pretty quickly. I guess all that’s left is to decide between the 355 or 380 and which scope, bolts and string to use. I am looking forward to the process!
Glad you got to put your hands on one, that's the best way to see if you might like it. I've gotten used to the pistol grip on the 380 and now when I shoot my other Excal I find myself reaching for the grip and grabbing air :lol:
BTW I went with the 380 since it already had the REDS and ADF, I figured I'd probably end up putting those on a 355 anyhow, but to each his own :D
Best of luck with which ever one you decide on, they're both great!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers