Lead Sled

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Lead Sled

Post by paulaboutform »

I just bit the bullet and ordered a new Lead Sled DFT. I used an el cheapo plastic deal till now but after doing some research I decided on this one. Has anyone got any experience with these. I love the idea for working new loads or checking zero or setting up the crossbow or testing new bolts. Thoughts?
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Twisted Mister

Re: Lead Sled

Post by Twisted Mister »

I use my buddies to sight in muzzle loaders, etc. It is a Caddilac! You will love it.
Bird

Post by Bird »

I have owned 2 lead sleds and a couple of plastic wanta be's over the years. I think they are by far the best. Wish I had them in my shooting houses and tree stands !!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
ottawacats

Post by ottawacats »

Great product to have , we have just the standard lead sled solo and it works great.
shooter00

Post by shooter00 »

I've got the LS+ and might go to a DFT if they have them on sale again this next holiday season.

I can give you a little tip on them.
If you have the room underneath your shooting bench use a ratchet strap to tie it down instead of using weights.
It's so much easier/cheaper than lugging the weights around and allows for slight movement for adjustment.

ldock

Post by ldock »

I love mine I can't hold my crossbows to shoot so I use mine all the time. I hunt at the house so I have to use it to be able to hunt. Best thing for me since sliced bread. Love it
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

shooter00 wrote:I've got the LS+ and might go to a DFT if they have them on sale again this next holiday season.

I can give you a little tip on them.
If you have the room underneath your shooting bench use a ratchet strap to tie it down instead of using weights.
It's so much easier/cheaper than lugging the weights around and allows for slight movement for adjustment.

WOW!!! That's what I'm talkin bout Shooter! That's so simple it's brilliant. That's exactly the kind of tip I was hoping to get. Thank you and thanks everyone for the feedback. Sounds like I made a good choice. :D
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Lead sleds are the cat's meow!!

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Lead sleds are the cat's meow!!

Man that is a beautiful Bow :shock:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I love it. No need to add weight. Just be careful the front bag is deeper than my excalibur (exo 200) rail. I set something down in the bag then sit the stock on top of it. Do not want the string to hit that bag during a shot. :shock:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Galgo wrote:I love it. No need to add weight. Just be careful the front bag is deeper than my excalibur (exo 200) rail. I set something down in the bag then sit the stock on top of it. Do not want the string to hit that bag during a shot. :shock:
Thanks Galgo, I've thought of that also. I use 'rice bags' instead of sand bags as per boo's suggestion and they work great. I'll be sure to bring them along.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I have one and use it for shooting my 450 Marlin, 340 Weatherby and 378 Weatherby. It's nice when shooting any heavy recoil rifle. There are better models than the Lead Sled, though. There are other brands that are equally stable, give recoil protection, but are more easily adjustable to put your crosshairs on target without having to wiggle and jiggle the Lead Sled and rifle around to get on target. Every time you shoot, you have to adjust to get the unit back on target. You shouldn't be twisting your rifle sideways or pressing down harder to make the crosshairs line up on target.

I can't remember brands while I'm here at work, but do some research before you buy the Lead Sled. You can do better.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi5 wrote:I have one and use it for shooting my 450 Marlin, 340 Weatherby and 378 Weatherby. It's nice when shooting any heavy recoil rifle. There are better models than the Lead Sled, though. There are other brands that are equally stable, give recoil protection, but are more easily adjustable to put your crosshairs on target without having to wiggle and jiggle the Lead Sled and rifle around to get on target. Every time you shoot, you have to adjust to get the unit back on target. You shouldn't be twisting your rifle sideways or pressing down harder to make the crosshairs line up on target.

I can't remember brands while I'm here at work, but do some research before you buy the Lead Sled. You can do better.
Great advice. I'm not sure which model you have but the dft and fxsomething have micro adjustable vertical and horizontal knobs. As per what you're saying I also thought the models without that would become a bit of a pain.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Mine is like the one in the photos. The problem with the adjustment on that model is that After you make the adjustment, you have to lock it by turning the crown knob. As it tightens, it moves the ledge that your gun rests upon. That means that your adjustment is locked, but you moved off target.

There are other models that have a better system. Afyter you adjust it onto target, it doesn't move around as you lock it onto that setting.

If I could get my money back by selling mine I would. I would get the better designed make. They are out there. However, I won't give up entirely on mine. I does work. It's just not as convenient as it should be, and if I were starting over, I wouldn't buy it.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
strum

Post by strum »

I have a lead sled and it does just what its suppose to do.
but for shooting crossbows form a bench I think this is a good reasonably priced model
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Caldwell-Steady ... 53ff1ec1c9
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16