Broadhead weights

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kegbelly

Broadhead weights

Post by Kegbelly »

I've noticed kind of a recurring theme in several posts where a lot of you go with a heavier front insert and a lighter weight broadhead, just curious why that is? If the total weight of a heavier insert and lighter head is the same as a lighter insert and heavier head, is a lighter head better in some way? More accurate?
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
paulaboutform

Re: Broadhead weights

Post by paulaboutform »

I'm one of those guys Kegbelly. 92gr brass inserts and 100gr points. Reason for me is that there are more options available for 100gr broadheads than any other weight. And because I love those toxic broadheads. I also like the flexibility it offers. If I did want to go heavier for extreme foc I can.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Used to very few choices to be had on well made BH's be they fixed or Mech. Now BH companys are makin more weights so you can build the combo you like
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

paulaboutform wrote:I'm one of those guys Kegbelly. 92gr brass inserts and 100gr points. Reason for me is that there are more options available for 100gr broadheads than any other weight. And because I love those toxic broadheads. I also like the flexibility it offers. If I did want to go heavier for extreme foc I can.

X2 Tons of 100gr options. And as VM says there are more and more new heavier options every day, but 100 and 125 are still the most popular
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The brass/100 gr shoot best for me. An alum insert weighs 32 gr + 100/125/150 gr bhead = 132/157/182 gr.

A 110 gr brass and 100 gr point = 210 gr = more FOC. I like about 18% FOC, cause it will 'help' an off arrow shoot good [w/ fixed blade].

Guys can and do shoot well w/ lower FOC arrows........
"Eze 18:21"
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Ok I understand, more choices in 100 grains and higher FOC. I've been happy shooting the same BH's for several years so I wondered if I might have been missing some advantage with heavier inserts and lighter heads. Thanks for the info!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

Since we have a "Broadhead weight" thread, I'll post my question here, instead of a new one.
I am shooting a Phoenix. Arrow withOUT broadhead is 300gr. With all your vast experiences, am I fine using 100gr broadheads? I want to start using a fixed blade broadhead, want enough energy, with out losing to much speed.

Thanks......RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Roadrunnr72 wrote:Since we have a "Broadhead weight" thread, I'll post my question here, instead of a new one.
I am shooting a Phoenix. Arrow withOUT broadhead is 300gr. With all your vast experiences, am I fine using 100gr broadheads? I want to start using a fixed blade broadhead, want enough energy, with out losing to much speed.

Thanks......RR
A 400gr arrow, IMO is a great weight for any Excalibur bow. I find my groups are tighter with a 400gr vs 350gr in my M380, M330 and Vixen. To be perfectly honest though, I haven't tried many arrow weight combos other than the 350gr and 400gr. I use fixed broadheads exclusively and they fly like darts.

You could even go with an 85gr head and get more slightly more speed with a finished weight of 385.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
bowhunter1

Post by bowhunter1 »

Well guys i do have a little insight on this topic due to the testing i have been doing since the end of this past deer season. i have been trying to put a 125gr slick trick ( standard, magnum, and a Griztrick) ontop of my factory stock and a blazer fletched arrow, WITH OUT adding any weight up front . ( other than the 125gr broadhead) All of the Tricks planned. The Standard 1" cut naturaly did the best. As the cutting surface got bigger the issues got worse, but only at a range beyond 33.5 yds, closer ranges I experienced "ok" grouping. but I do not hunt with "ok" grouping. So to end my babbling, I now shoot the Hammerhead and Spitfire Maxx 100 gr. so I do not have to add the EXTRA weight up front and slow down my arrow. My arrow weights 362.8 grs, has more than enough energy to bury the its self in the dirt after hitting the target at 40 yds ( My Max hunting range) and cuts a massive 1.5 or 2" hole.
bowhunter1

Post by bowhunter1 »

ooo ya i shoot a Equinox with a flemish string not sure of speed but its going nice and fast... I do see a 405 in my crystal ball though. :twisted:
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I've went to a 150gr Magnus stinger 2 blade, gives my total weight 378gr's.I've found that 370 to 380grs is the magic number on my Matrix. Alum 18''stick 3'' feathers with plastic nock, alum insert with 150 stinger.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:I've went to a 150gr Magnus stinger 2 blade, gives my total weight 378gr's.I've found that 370 to 380grs is the magic number on my Matrix. Alum 18''stick 3'' feathers with plastic nock, alum insert with 150 stinger.
Those Buzzcuts are a wicked head,,,the blood trails,, they look like somebody poured a bucket of red paint on the ground,,

Wes
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Roadrunnr72 wrote:Since we have a "Broadhead weight" thread, I'll post my question here, instead of a new one.

Thanks......RR
OK arrow & BH accuracy 101.
Think of an arrow wid BH on front as a ship!. The bigger & heavier the Bow is the more water it pushes & disturbs & slower it runs. What corrects the plowin n wallowen the Bow makes ? The rudder or in case of arrow the feathers/vanes! The bigger the BH the bigger the feather/vanes need to be to correct its path direction. Heavy arrow carry lots of momentum they plow thru the winds n bad weather. Lighter arrows can use smaller feathers/vanes wid smaller BH's. Its all about puttin the correct combo together fer yer style/wants in huntin. Thru my many yrs i have worked out combo's as light as 325gr total weight arrows in my Vixens,350gr in my other models. I have worked up combo's up to 650gr weight arrows. Remember the bigger BH's are the more steerin they require, & thats where bein able to build yer own arrows comes in
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

bowhunter1 wrote:Well guys i do have a little insight on this topic due to the testing i have been doing since the end of this past deer season. i have been trying to put a 125gr slick trick ( standard, magnum, and a Griztrick) ontop of my factory stock and a blazer fletched arrow, WITH OUT adding any weight up front . ( other than the 125gr broadhead) All of the Tricks planned. The Standard 1" cut naturaly did the best. As the cutting surface got bigger the issues got worse, but only at a range beyond 33.5 yds, closer ranges I experienced "ok" grouping. but I do not hunt with "ok" grouping. So to end my babbling, I now shoot the Hammerhead and Spitfire Maxx 100 gr. so I do not have to add the EXTRA weight up front and slow down my arrow. My arrow weights 362.8 grs, has more than enough energy to bury the its self in the dirt after hitting the target at 40 yds ( My Max hunting range) and cuts a massive 1.5 or 2" hole.
That's interesting. I've had nothing but good flight from my slick tricks. If check to see if the inserts are square and that the BHs spin perfectly. Also check to see that you are shooting the arrows with spine in the same location. Are your blazer fletched arrows fletched with some offset or helical?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
bowhunter1

Post by bowhunter1 »

Yep the fletching on the blazers have a slight right helical, and I do not understand what you mean by the spine in the same location on each arrow?? :?