A few pics from my camp

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

A few pics from my camp

Post by Species8472 »

So I was outside today on a job site and at 11:30 am I said enough of this. So I quit early and headed out in the sunshine. I stopped at home grabbed my snowshoes and my 17hmr. It was calm, sunny and the temp was right around the freezing mark - just a stunner of an afternoon.

I headed up to our camp on the Saugeen between Flesherton and Durham and put about 5 miles on the snowshoes scouting for turkey sign and anything else of interest. Brought the gun with me on the off chance a crow crossed my path. No crows, but I still put 50 rounds down the pipe target shooting. No sign of any turkeys and the only deer sign was down along the river in the cedars.

Lots of Snowshoe Hare sign. I came across track everywhere on the property:

Picture below is a blind platform on one of the food plots. To put the snow depth into context the width of the platform is 8 feet and it is 12 feet in the air . Depth on the flat in the sun was 20-24 inches. In the bush depth was 30-36 inches or even more in a few places.

This is in the cedars down close to the river. Gun is at the bottom of the snow pack for scale regarding depth of snow.

Deer run in the cedars along the river. We had about 2 inches of snow a day ago and nothing had come through since:

This is one our best apple trees (both for fruit and scrapes) split down the middle last year in a December ice storm:

Looking up river - lot of melting needed before the trout opener. Second area of open water at top center consistently holds nice brook trout.

Looking down river. This place is good for my soul.

Trail through one of the meadows. I broke through the crust the odd time due to undermining from the numerous springs on the property. One leg sunk to my crotch the other on top and trying to extricate myself without setting the gun down in the snow.

All in all an excellent way to spend an afternoon before winter hits us again tonight.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
JPjunkie

Re: A few pics from my camp

Post by JPjunkie »

Beautiful Land and it looks so peaceful :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Nice pics. Glad you had a good day outside. :D
Hank
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

That's real out doors, hunting got to be at the top there, thanks for sharing.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Boy hidy that brings back memorys from my youth. Lived out on the west coast my Pa was a Navy career man. Like you i had many beautiful late Fall n Winter times.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Big John

Post by Big John »

Beautiful!!! Love those pics! 8)
The Saugeen is one beauty trout stream for sure!
As far as Snowshoes go, you can have them, I wouldn't get 20 ft. before passing out! :lol: I tried once a couple years ago, that was funny! :lol: :lol:
Picture a 6'-3"in. 310 lb. man with bad leg, bad back, bad heart, attempting this feat!
Very funny!!!!
Well..... for one or two minutes anyway! :lol:
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Beautiful! :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. There is not a drop of snow on the ground now where I live, it has been bare for a few weeks now. The lakes still have a thin layer of ice on them but that will soon break up.
Thanks,
Raymond
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Thanks for all the great replies. For those interested this is what the blind platform looks like in deer season:

We brush it in with 12-16 foot cedars that we cut out of the surrounding bush. Cedars get tied to the structure with black paracord.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend