How i turns my scope as a vibration stabilizer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tremps01

How i turns my scope as a vibration stabilizer

Post by tremps01 »

First i want to thank 3 great guys on the forum, they helped me to write this text in a good English because I don't master english very well. Poulaboutform, BOO and Phern.

This project turns my scope as a vibration stabilizer and isolates it from any shock produced during shooting.
Two months ago I started talking with a guy on a French forum here in Quebec. This fellow is an amazing handyman and he his a very technical guy so I want to share his innovation with you. His nickname is fleche perdue ( Yves Nadeau). He speaks French only and he gave me the permission to write this. I’ll explain to you how to put your scope back to it's original position and use your scope as a vibration stabilizer with silicone injection between the scope and the ring. No metal parts touch the scope so no vibration from the crossbow will reach the scope. The scope be never affected by the recoil or hitting something. He has used this system for many years over 5000 shots with his crossbow and the point of impact never changed. His rifles scope gets silicone too. I did that on my Tack Zone, and when I’ll receive my bracket extension for my HHA Optimizer, my Leupold vx1 2x7x 33 will be the next one. Hey Vixchix if you use this you will not need to shim your scope.
Here's a description how I did it after talking a lot with Yves.
Yves tested 9 different kinds of stuff like, Silicone, Flexta, urethane, etc. He made balls with each kind and monitor the time to cure completely. To check the middle ball he used a needle (like a cake tester) 15 days later all balls will be dry. Next he measured each ball and compresses it to 50 % of it's original size, for 1 day up to 1 month and he collects data after each test. The result was, only Silicone came back to 100% of it's original size.

First my crossbow was perfectly sighted in at 40 yards. Next clamped my bow solidly on a bench leveled and aimed at a reference point at 40 yards away. Be sure the bow is well clamped because the bow won't be moving for 3 days and it's precise position in relation to the reference point is critical to this project.
Next, take off the scope. The scope I'm using is a 1" Leupold scope so I’ll use 30mm aluminium rings (1/4" over size) and drill 4 holes 1/8'' diameter holes at 10 O'clock-2 O'clock- 7 O'clock-5 O’clock into the 30 mm rings. Widen the top/outside of the hole to help the silicone tube tip to fit. Be careful where you drill the holes, you need to clear the screws that keep the ring on the rail with the silicone tube nozzle.
All parts must be cleaned with acetone. Next, you need a black rubber bungee (the one that truck driver use). Cut it in different slices between 1/16" and 1/8" thick and around 1/4" square. I suggest to you to measure and classify by different thickness before next step.
Next fix the two 30 mm base rings onto the rail of the crossbow and place 4 pieces of rubber between the scope and ring halves (4 in total for each ring). You'll have rubber pieces at 12, 3, 6 and 9 O'Clock. Look through the scope at your reference point and shim in the direction needed with the various thickness of the 1/4" square pieces of rubber. When aligned glue in the rubber with crazy glue. Gluing prevents the rubber from moving when you inject the silicone. Clean with acetone before gluing.
Reinstall the scope rings and screws, the scope should still be able to be turned with your hand with some resistance and the crosshairs still aimed perfectly on the target point.
You need your vertical reticle to be plumb so put up a string with a weight that will be in view of the scope right in the middle of your target point and rotate as necessary.
Use masking tape to protect your scope from silicone when it goes outside of the rings then inject silicone alternating opposite injection holes to be sure that the scope won’t move inside the ring. Inject until the silicone goes outside. Keeps the crossbow and scope at these positions for 3 days and be sure do not touch the scope and bow. After 3 days you can move the bow and use a knife to cut silicone excess , but don’t shoot the bow for the next 12days the silicone need that period to dry completely.

Don't worry if something goes wrong. It's only silicone clean all parts and redoes the job.

Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: How i turns my scope as a vibration stabilizer

Post by Hunt it »

A good layer of black automotive silicone inside top and bottom rings before you install rings will have similar effect. I have been doing this for 20+ years on every scope mounted. It serves a number of issues, it will stop even the heaviest of scopes from moving in big recoiling calibers. It prevents any ring marks from damaging/marking your scope.

I would have some concerns about the placement of rubber pieces placing uneven stress on scope tube and possible damage to tube if person over tightens ring screws. The rings are designed to place even pressure and alignment on scope tube. If you use silicone only as I described the pressure of tightening rings displaces excess silicone and creates an even layer, which I believe will give same dampening effect OP was looking for. No intention to derail or take away from OP idea just a few possible concerns I see with that process. I use the black automotive silicone found at auto parts stores but any clear silicone will work. No need to tape off either, just let excess silicone harden and then it comes off with fingernail no problem.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Any issues with scent from the silicone?? I'm thinking of hunting situations.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Well done Marcel. Great idea! I'll be trying it on the next scope I mount.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

Hunt it, I don't master English very well, for this reason I’ll use some parts from your text and mine as copy and paste. The way you used silicone gave you good success since 20 years I have no doubt about that fact. It’s seems to me you use the same silicone as me the black one and the clear on the picture?
You said:
I would have some concerns about the placement of rubber pieces placing uneven stress on scope tube and possible damage to tube if person over tightens ring screws. The rings are designed to place even pressure and alignment on scope tube. If you use silicone only as I described the pressure of tightening rings displaces excess silicone and creates an even layer.
It’s the raison why Yves Nadeau used ¼ inch oversize ring 30 mm instead 1 inch . and also to have the scope other one
You'll have rubber pieces at 12, 3, 6 and 9 O'Clock. Look through the scope at your reference point and shim in the direction needed with the various thickness of the 1/4" square pieces of rubber. When aligned glue in the rubber with crazy glue. Gluing prevents the rubber from moving when you inject the silicone. Reinstall the scope rings and screws, the scope should still be able to be turned with your hand with some resistance and the crosshairs still aimed perfectly on the target point before injection silicone
Be sure the bow is well clamped because the bow won't be moving for 3 days and it's precise position in relation to the reference point is critical to this project with this procedure he is sure the scope is perfectly sight with reference point you get before take off the old scope. The axis of the crossbow.
Hope this help to understand more the way Yves Nadeau did.
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

Bullzeye wrote:Any issues with scent from the silicone?? I'm thinking of hunting situations.
Don't worry about smell if it's completely dry.
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel

Post by newbie »

tremps01 wrote:
Bullzeye wrote:Any issues with scent from the silicone?? I'm thinking of hunting situations.
Don't worry about smell if it's completely dry.
x2
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Boo

Post by Boo »

When the scope is set up in the rings the black rubber pieces just holds it in place. The pressure is minor enough that you can still rotate the scope.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Waif

Post by Waif »

Yves is suspending scope inside oversized rings. Tension on rubber should not be great.It won,t turn though after silicone sets up Boo?. If surfaces clean it should be solid as you please. Were I to do such work ,witness marks would be added to relieve any doubt down the road of any movement from set position. Not due to concept as much as the installer. :) Merci tout.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.