String Jump

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bullzeye

Re: String Jump

Post by Bullzeye »

vixenmaster wrote:If you saw the video then you can see the deer react to the hunter as it threw its head up. Its then i shot her in the neck where i was aimin. Slow deer i doubt, maybe jus was tired of livin :) Anyway y'all figure out the deer's reaction to noise eyesight n such. Iam gonna jus kill'em :)
That was quite the death cry, Ive done many neck shots with my rifles and never heard that before, I guess she wanted to have the last word lol
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Really like this thread Sig. I recall that Bill Troughbridge simplified the equation down to aiming for a heart shot and mitigating the change of a non vitals impact on a string jumping deer. That has stuck with me but I really like knowing the theoretical numbers too...keep it coming.

F
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

String jump of course they do. Every time i shoot one it jumps. Because of the string its doubtful, more because the vanes makin noise & they hear it a few yds from them before impact. Come this Fall i will show y'all a bunch of string jumpin deer takin a dirt nap :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Significent

Post by Significent »

I was just searching more for info on whitetail reaction time. I still couldn't find anything useful, but I came across something I considered for a moment and then dismissed.

In addition to the sound of the bow, the arrow rushing toward the deer also makes noise. Some felt certain that noise from the arrow could reach the deer sooner than the noise of the bow and, consequently, cause the deer to jump sooner. That's hooey unless the arrow travels faster than the speed of sound, in which case the deer wouldn't react from either sound in time. Make sense?

A dyed-in-the-wool scientific article I saw indicated that deer generally hear sounds starting at about 113Hz at a loudness of up to 60db, well above where humans begin hearing. So, for instance, deer can't hear the 60 cycle hum of electrical current. (The average person can hear sound down to about 20Hz). That suggests that we could quiet our bows more effectively if we could mitigate high frequency sound by shifting it somehow to low frequency sound. So, for the engineers out there, other than taping the stirrup up, how do we do that?

By the way, according to the article mentioned above, deer can easily hear higher frequencies that we can, much like dogs.

Edit: Here's an article that suggests their starting low frequency hearing is even higher:

Code: Select all

http://laboratoryofcomparativehearing.com/uploads/Behavioral_Audiogram_of_White-tailed_Deer.pdf
Check out the chart.
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm Shotgun
18" Black Eagle Executioners
Swhacker Crossbow 100gr (see avatar)
GTFG Lumenoks
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

vixenmaster wrote:String jump of course they do. Every time i shoot one it jumps. Because of the string its doubtful, more because the vanes makin noise & they hear it a few yds from them before impact. Come this Fall i will show y'all a bunch of string jumpin deer takin a dirt nap :lol:
Sound wisdom!
:wink:
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Just to clarify . . .I watched several videos of deer "jumping the string" . . .however, to me it looked like the deer were playing dodge ball with the arrow. Of course, the videos I watched were slow moving arrows compared to the arrows we sling today with these crossbows.

I can't count the number of times I watched deer in a field when someone shot near me and the deer failed to even look in the direction of the gun fire. Heck, I jumped at some of the shots and the deer remained calm.

It is my belief that deer use their nose and ears to detect danger, but, use their eyes to react to it.

I've been heard and the deer come toward me until they see me. Same thing has happened when I'm standing still and they must have smelled me because I was well hidden.

Anyway, in a lot of cases, the deer don't react until they actually see something or fail to see something.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

..oops
Exocet 200
S5 System