Trying before buying???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dabluz

Trying before buying???

Post by dabluz »

How many actually get to try the crossbows before buying? Here where I live, we are lucky just to hold the crossbow a few minutes. Actually cocking it and even....god forbid....shoot the thing....is completely out of the question.

I even have a rant. I know of no store where I can try out a crossbow. I have never even heard of a store that will let you try out a crossbow. I do know of a store where I could try out a fly rod but that is extremely rare.

I bought my Ecalibur Vortex last fall. Yes....I held it for a few minutes. I even got to pull on the cocking rope a bit but full cocking was a "no no". There were other crossbows at the store but I bought the Excalibur due to opinions that I gleaned from the forums about crossbows.
Vortex
georgiaboy

Re: Trying before buying???

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum & congrats on your vortex!! :D :D
I know the Bass Pro in my town will let you try one out...don't know if y'all have them in Canuckastan. :?
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Cabelas and BassPro in Michigan have ranges in the store. I'd say most archery shops around here that I've been to allow you to shoot first and open wallet later. Hunter's Den in Lapeer, MI is a great place for that, they have a 20y range in-store and I've tested various models without making a purchase.

A store that only let's you half cock a bow? Now that is just cock teasing! :lol: :lol:

Are you in a remote area?
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
tammie

Post by tammie »

did it at gander mountain indoor range in texas :D
matrix 380 w grim reaper 125 grain (midevil 2) equinox w boltcutter 150 grain (midevil 1)
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

No retailers around here have an indoor range either, though when I zipped over the border to Gander mountain in NY State they have a range but do not sell Excalibur :(
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

georgiaboy wrote:Welcome to the forum & congrats on your vortex!! :D :D
I know the Bass Pro in my town will let you try one out...don't know if y'all have them in Canuckastan. :?
There's a BassPro near me, and they do have a range, but all their crossbows strings are cable-tied, so first you open your wallet and then if you ask politely you might get to pull the rope. :x
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Dash

Post by Dash »

I get your point, there's a lot of unknowns involved when you don't get a test drive first. You could easily get influenced by a sales guy, and end up with a totally inappropriate bow. But luckily you still managed to get it right in the end :wink:
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I guess most places do not want to have a bunch of demo's sitting around not making money, or bows that they would have to sell later at reduced price because it is a demo.
Its like buying a rifle, pay your money and take your chances.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Very Good point da bluz. I made sure I cocked each crossbow i was interested in with an aid and by hand. I was also fortunate enough to shoot several cross bows at an indoor range at a shop an hour from my home before I chose my excalibur. Very helpful.
Easy Money

Post by Easy Money »

Excalibur sends a rep around to its dealers in our area I got to shoot a 380 before I bought one. I was pretty shure it was the bow I wanted but shooting it made the sale I was allowed to cock and shoot as many times as I wanted and it definitely gave me peace of mind knowing it was what I was looking for hope to shoot a 405 next time they are in town :D
God bless America and the farmer that feeds your fat ass
matrix 380 extra
triggertech single stage
Rooster string by Dan
Boo string with wiskers

Post by newbie »

when the Matrix series was released i waited for the store that i drive by daily to get them in stock. I went to fondle them to see what one fit me best and to try cocking one. The salesman proceeded to tell me the 380 & 355 had the same draw length the bows were the same except for the limbs. Then told me to throw away the few firbolts i had as they would "explode" if i were to try them out of a Matrix. I kindly asked if i could cock the bow the salesman then actually laughed at me. Lets just say i havent been back into that store since and its too bad very handy for me.
Now shooters choice in Waterloo is a different story. cock uncock fondle do as i please was even asked if i wanted to shoot the bow. They knew their stuff there and would spend all day with you until you were satisfied with what you were going to purchase.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Bronson and Bronson in Kingston has a short range which permits you to at least discharge the bow.
at least they did in November
Plus during the summer they have an organized 3D shoot close by weekly. ($10)
dabluz

Post by dabluz »

colouredchameleon wrote:Bronson and Bronson in Kingston has a short range which permits you to at least discharge the bow.
at least they did in November
Plus during the summer they have an organized 3D shoot close by weekly. ($10)

I plan to visit my mom and sisters in Kingston in May. I always visit the hunting and fishing boutiques when in Kingston. Now that I have a crossbow, I will most definitely visit stores that sell crossbow equipment.

Here in my region, I have not yet met another crossbow user when I visit a store. Crossbow hunting is new up here and all of the guys that I have met buy cheap crossbows in order to explain to conservation officers why there is a moose carcass hanging in the shed before firearm season. The only hunters that I have met was north of 50 at my son's buddy's camp. This year, my son and I will hunt moose with those guys.
Vortex
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

Pro Nature and Arc En Fleche both let me try the crossbows before buying.
Hey what's happend with Phern?
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

tremps01 wrote:Pro Nature and Arc En Fleche both let me try the crossbows before buying.
Hey what's happend with Phern?
Phern has disappeared, only to be resurrected "incognito" as "Dabluz".

See this link for more info:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 83#p504183

BTW Marcel, did you ever show Salvatore the pic you took of you and me at Boofest?
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.