New Guy Blunders

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cb750

New Guy Blunders

Post by cb750 »

So, I am new to crossbows. I have a used Equinox and I love it. I am also a bit of DIY kind of person within my own limits. I certainly thought stuffing a feed bag for a target was within my capabilities. I've used the target with field points repeatedly without issue. The arrows have never gone through, not even close as far as I could tell.

So yesterday I thought I should start practicing with the set up I am going to use for turkey's. The heads I bought came with a practice head. Perfect. I set up the feed bag leaning against the old maple in my yard, about 20yards away. First shot, a little high not a big deal. Get up there to pull it out and realize I discovered a new and expensive way to tap Maple trees :lol: :lol: :lol: . The arrow went through the bag and two inches into the tree. As soon as I pulled it out Sap started to run. I also noticed damage to the arrow, right behind the insert it is splintered a bit :( .

Egg on my face, should have known better but I share my blunders so others don't have to.
Equinox
Kegbelly

Re: New Guy Blunders

Post by Kegbelly »

LOL! makes me think of the first time I shot a broadhead with my exomag right after I got it... it sailed right thru the bag target, 2 bales of hay, and buried about an inch deep in a 4x4 wood fence post. Had to unscrew the arrow and get vise grips to get the bh out of the post. Do not try this at home :oops: :oops:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Thanks for the update that the sap is now running. :D
Time to get out there and make some sweet nectar. Last years supply is long gone.

Never under estimate the power of your Equinox.
Some may consider it obsolete compared to todays new Matrix Series.
It will always be more than enough to get the job done for years to come.
I would say you were lucky that you didn't take two shots you could have split the first one and completely passed thru the tree :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ah the joys of learnin & shootin yer Excal :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Smart guys do dumb stuff sometimes, I wrote a book about it! :lol: :lol: Welcome to the forum, at least you got something for it! :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

They didn't nickname your bow "The Beast" for nothing!! 8) :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
cb750

Post by cb750 »

Hahaha. Well its good to see I'm not alone. I'm getting 327fps with 400grains. I can't imagine needing more than that. Wanting more for sure, needing?, not so much. Unless oak syrup were a thing maybe.
Equinox
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

At least you didn't have to track it far :lol: :lol:
Matrix 380
Exomag
luckymike

Post by luckymike »

i added the ADF to my 355 the other day and accidently got to try it out.loaded an arrow and only slid it down to the ADF lever and pulled trigger.OOPS!.
matrix 355,330
slicktrick 125
black eagle executioners
vixenmaster strings
nikon bolt
triggertech
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

luckymike wrote:i added the ADF to my 355 the other day and accidently got to try it out.loaded an arrow and only slid it down to the ADF lever and pulled trigger.OOPS!.
Mistakes happen, a lot.
I spend a good part of my life growing up in Hazel Park Mike, Elza ave.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
luckymike

Post by luckymike »

pydpiper, I been in the general area since the 60's.work is tied to auto industry but my heart is in the ausable river area where I have a cabin and a little acreage.
matrix 355,330
slicktrick 125
black eagle executioners
vixenmaster strings
nikon bolt
triggertech
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

luckymike wrote:pydpiper, I been in the general area since the 60's.work is tied to auto industry but my heart is in the ausable river area where I have a cabin and a little acreage.
That's cool, spent many a weekend on the Ausable and Rifle Rivers as a youngster. Still got a little spot in Ogemaw County on a creek that feeds into the Rifle, used to be a great little trout stream. Memories.... :D
Matrix 380
Exomag
luckymike

Post by luckymike »

I'm about 10 miles east of Mio on the north side of river.deer huntin isn't the best but the area is wild with many 2 tracks to get away from it all.
matrix 355,330
slicktrick 125
black eagle executioners
vixenmaster strings
nikon bolt
triggertech
Waif

Post by Waif »

cb 750, (73 Honda?, my favorite case cover design year though I owned smaller bikes,350 and 500 ,never got ahold of a 73 750 title though.) Your start with cross bow and broadheads sounds par for the course. As much energy as we lose there is plenty left for sure. :lol:
Deer camp at luckymikes,l.o.l. A little elbow room is half the battle. We give the deer a chance to make a gift of themselves, if not today ,maybe tomorrow. :D Try while we wait not to set up a dry fire!
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.