O/T Muskies Canada Members?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

O/T Muskies Canada Members?

Post by VixChix »

Anyone here a member of Muskies Canada? Curious about the organization.

Muskies are on my bucket list - want to chase them this summer. Am trying to find out more about them... Right now I'm officially saying it's a one-time thing, but am a bit afraid that I might get bit by the muskie bug! 8)
Last edited by VixChix on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Normous

Re: O/T Muskies Canada Members?

Post by Normous »

Monica, Greg Whitson a long time friend and co worker provides Muskie Fishing charters in Lake St Clair if you may be interested at some time.

http://www.reeldealguide.com/
If you are going I will too and get a good rate to boot.
Last edited by Normous on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bdog

Post by bdog »

Yep, if ur goin Muskie huntin hit Lake St Clair
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Looks good, Norm! We're headed to Lk Nippissing this summer, but at day on St. Clair sounds like a great opportunity too!

Edit - Just saw your edit. :) a day of fishing with Norm and Patti? That would be so much fun! I see he provides gear - that would save me buying new rod and gear and that alone would cover the cost of the day.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

VixChix wrote:Looks good, Norm! We're headed to Lk Nippissing this summer, but at day on St. Clair sounds like a great opportunity too!

Edit - Just saw your edit. :) a day of fishing with Norm and Patti? That would be so much fun! I see he provides gear - that would save me buying new rod and gear and that alone would cover the cost of the day.
Thats like test driving a car before you buy it Good idea Muskie rods and equipment are expensive I love catching anything with teeth Walleyes are my favorite Ive seen Muskies eat baby mallards topwater style They are aggressive
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I catch a lot of them incidentally in the Detroit River. I don't target them, but they are fun to tangle with. Make sure to bring a towel, muskies are slimy, snot rods. :lol:

Lake St. Clair is a definite hot spot. Late summer and fall is great on the river, near Peche Island.

Google up "Bondy Bait." They are a local lure: massive jigs with soft rubber bodies and the Muskies eat them up. In fall, many anglers catch them from shore.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Normous

Post by Normous »

VixChix wrote:Looks good, Norm! We're headed to Lk Nippissing this summer, but at day on St. Clair sounds like a great opportunity too!

And you three have a place to overnight here too.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

You guys have me so fired up about this! :D :D :D

I grew up fishing mostly for pike in the summers and whitefish in the winters, but just like hunting I gave it up when I moved to Ontario in '86. A couple of years ago Ben became interested so we've been re-discovering the joys of fishing. I've thoroughly enjoyed chasing pike again, and discovering the attraction of bass fishing. Have yet to reel in a walleye but that's another one I hope to check off this summer.

The sound of line coming off the reel, the feeling of casting and retrieving, bits of seaweed at my feet, the wind coming off the water, smell of fish slime drying in the net, the rattle of a stringer... so many good memories from my childhood came flooding back the first summer up on Lake Nippissing.

Makes the time between hunting seasons seems less long. :D
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Just make sure you have one of those jaw opening devices for hook removal. I'm still sporting a 2 inch scar on my finger from being "degloved" by a 27 lb lunker. Hope you guys have a ton of fun with memories to last a lifetime. Tight lines.
Hank
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

hankenhunter wrote:Just make sure you have one of those jaw opening devices for hook removal. I'm still sporting a 2 inch scar on my finger from being "degloved" by a 27 lb lunker. Hope you guys have a ton of fun with memories to last a lifetime. Tight lines.
Hank
Thanks Hank! Those teeth are like razors! A spanner was one of the first things I bought when I started buying fishing gear a couple of years ago. I use it for pike - those things have a mouthful of nasty teeth! (True confessions: I've laughed at people try to lip their first pike. :oops: :lol:)
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Hank - have you seen this one yet? :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuGRr2XqEJ8
Big John

Post by Big John »

On a side note, the Upper Niagara River is full of them. I fished there faithfully for many years. Filled three photo albums of fishing adventures on there. Muskies would smash large spinners and live large minnows. Just drive up towards the mouth, then drift back along the shore until you feel like turning around and repeating. :wink: :)
Only need a small boat as the current is slow, and no waves even in wind.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

You want to look at the Kawartha's. Search youtube "kawartha muskie" for a taste of what is going on up there with that fishery, it's hot. The guys from Fish'n Canada film a fair bit of musky fishing there. The numbers are apparently as good as anywhere (except the St Clair charters) and there's muskie over 50". I've not fished muskie there but have fished bass and walleye and the Bass and Walleye fishing is very good right through the entire system of lakes there. You can launch from public launches all over the place up in there that would be under 2 hours from Toronto towing a boat.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

WOW - you guys are wonderful! Thanks for all the info and the PMs!

We don't have a boat - so for muskie we'd have to do with a charter. For pike, and bass I sure enjoy my canoe though! :D
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

VixChix wrote:WOW - you guys are wonderful! Thanks for all the info and the PMs!

We don't have a boat - so for muskie we'd have to do with a charter. For pike, and bass I sure enjoy my canoe though! :D
Do you have a boaters card Mo?
You are welcome to borrow Hunters boat, lots of room, livewell and storage. Color Fishfinder/GPS Combo.. It's his fishing machine.
Would tow easy with your van too. Food for thought.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string