bolts astray???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

youngguns

bolts astray???

Post by youngguns »

Thanks to the guys who helped with my stringing aid dilemma now my string is 1/8 inch from reds my 20 yard groups are dime size in bullseye my 30 yard is 2" to the left what am I doing wrong :( shooting diablo arrow that came with matrix 380 4 arrows @ 20 dead on 4 arrows @ 30 2" left :?: :?: :?:
A stupid question is a question never asked
vixenmaster

Re: bolts astray???

Post by vixenmaster »

Are you cantin yer Excal when you shoot ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
youngguns

Post by youngguns »

No vixenmaster thought so but repeated several times shooting off bench with rest
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

First thing to do is call Danny Miller and buy a level bubble to mount on the off hand side of the riser of your bow. It's a stick on so just clean the spot it will go and make sure you can see it when you're in a shooting position with your off eye.
If you're shooting almost the same hole at 20yards you shouldn't be 2" out at 30yards. I'd start with that and while talking to Danny I would also suggest asking about the Black Eagle Executioners with 92gr brass inserts. This will really help very much. :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
youngguns

Post by youngguns »

Thanks paulaboutform I have a dozen bee already figure I would shoot the diablos till I got bugs out will take recommendation on level I apprectiate feedback thank you!!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Adjust your zero @ 30 yards, then see where you hit at 20 yards. Remember, the farther out you shoot, the more you will realize your settings! I make adjustments at 40 yards that have little impact on my POI at 20!
Good luck!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
youngguns

Post by youngguns »

Xcaliber point taken should I scrap the diablos and sight in bees thanks for helping
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Wid a scope i usually shoot at 40 yds & adjust fer center. As you come in closer it should stay centered. If'en it doesn't then maybe Tiller is off or scope isn't movin inside properly. Use the same arrow fer yer testin
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Good advice! Get close at 20 and make final adjustments at longer yardages. Better to be off a hair at 20 than a bunch at 40.

One more thing ... Are you positive the scope is mounted level? The vertical crosshair needs to be straight up & down. If it's off it can make shots be off to one side on longer yardages. 2" off sounds like a lot though.

This method has been posted here before, and it works well: put the bow on a solid rest and use a level on the rail to get the bow as close to perfectly level side-to-side as you can, and hang a string with a weight on the end (like a plumb bob) several yards in front of the bow and look thru the scope and rotate the scope until the vertical crosshair lines up perfectly with the string, then tighten the rings down.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

youngguns wrote:Xcaliber point taken should I scrap the diablos and sight in bees thanks for helping
The diablos should get you pretty close, then fine tune with the BEEs if that's what you plan to shoot or hunt with.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
youngguns

Post by youngguns »

Thanks guys for your expertice going to put crossbow in lead sled put level on it check my vertical start zero @40 see what I come up with thanks for all advice :) :)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have never shot the Diablo bolts, but heard mostly good reviews! Kegbelly makes good sense there.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Dash

Post by Dash »

Like Kegbelly has mentioned with the scope alignment, to me it sounds most the scope is not vertically aligned.
You can get the Bow leveled on a table, hang a Plumb-bob "weight on a string" 20yards in front of the bow to line up your vertical reticule line, and turned the scope within the rings till its vertical line matches the string. If this is your problem, longer distance shots would be progressively further out of center with distance. But after a slight adjustment the longer shots should pull back to center.
axiluc

Post by axiluc »

had that same problem , a while back checked my scope wasnt level with the bow , it want bother at 20 yards but as soon as you start using the 30, 40 50 reticles you will always be off to one side..
Tom

Post by Tom »

vixenmaster wrote:Are you cantin yer Excal when you shoot ?
axiluc wrote:had that same problem , a while back checked my scope wasnt level with the bow , it want bother at 20 yards but as soon as you start using the 30, 40 50 reticles you will always be off to one side..
Having the scope out of level will do the same as canting the bow when shooting.

The easiest way to check this is put it in a lead sled (you said you had one available), level out the limbs and hang a string down (plumb bob) in front of the bow. Look through the scope and see if the vertical cross hair is different then the dangling string on a plumb bob.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]