New to Crossbows looking for some advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Urbanite

New to Crossbows looking for some advice

Post by Urbanite »

Hello all. I have been looking into getting a crossbow since around January. I decided that I only want to pick up an Excalibur based on reviews, and advice. There are a few questions here to help me along as I have decided, more or less on what I am looking to pick up. I will give details on what I will be using it for, what I may want it for later and the like. Never used a crossbow before but have decided I want to start hunting in Ontario.

I have to point out that I understand one tool can not do everything but at the moment one is all I can afford.

I want to use it almost exclusively for rabbit, turkey, and in 2015 start to look into deer hunting with it. That gives a year there abouts to become comfortable with what I purchase. I may at some point go on a moose hunt; not until 2016 most likely mind you, and should actually have the funds for a dedicated crossbow by then if required.

I have already determined the Matrix 355 would be too much crossbow for small game. I also understand the Vixen II can take up to deer.

1. Would the Matrix 330 be a little too much for the small game, rabbit and turkey?

2. Would the Ibex SMF/Axiom SMF be enough for moose later on if I decide on only one crossbow? I understand a moose has been taken by a Vixen user. This person however must be much more skilled than I see myself being in the next decade.

I like the look of the Matrix more than the Ibex/Axiom but it is not that important to me.

Briefly, Is the Matrix overkill for very small game (rabbit). Are the Ibex/Axiom going to be enough for a novice hunter on larger game such as moose?
Tom

Re: New to Crossbows looking for some advice

Post by Tom »

Urbanite wrote: ...............................
I have already determined the Matrix 355 would be too much crossbow for small game. I also understand the Vixen II can take up to deer.

1. Would the Matrix 330 be a little too much for the small game, rabbit and turkey?

2. Would the Ibex SMF/Axiom SMF be enough for moose later on if I decide on only one crossbow? I understand a moose has been taken by a Vixen user. This person however must be much more skilled than I see myself being in the next decade.

I like the look of the Matrix more than the Ibex/Axiom but it is not that important to me.

Briefly, Is the Matrix overkill for very small game (rabbit). Are the Ibex/Axiom going to be enough for a novice hunter on larger game such as moose?
I personally believe that any 150lb crossbow is too much for small game. But they will work. The problem is, the cost of arrows can run up a lot for small game.

Your comment, "I also understand the Vixen II can take up to deer" is a little misleading. Any 150lb Excalibur can take large game animals like moose. I bought one of the very first Excalibur crossbows, (Relayer) and at that time, they said that it was way more then enough for moose. And it is, many large moose have been taken with a bow like that. Shot placement is what is important, not so much the poundage of the bow.

I believe that you would probably be happy with the 330. For small game, I would go old school, with Alumin arrows and invest in an arrow straightener. Carbon arrows break while the alumin will bend (sometimes break), as long as there is no kink, they can be fixed.

Again any of the Excalibur hunting bows can be used for most any large game in North America.

Hope this helps Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

In the Older models of Excal bows, some think that the 200lb. models( Exocet, Vortex) are maybe the best balance of power and ease of cocking etc.These would have enough power for whatever you wanted to hunt in the future. Also with the newer Matrix series bows out now there are some real bargains in the older model bows.Just a thought.
Urbanite

Post by Urbanite »

Thank you Tom it does help as I was leaning towards the Ibex more than the 330. Your response brings me closer to it.
flightattendant100 wrote:In the Older models of Excal bows, some think that the 200lb. models( Exocet, Vortex) are maybe the best balance of power and ease of cocking etc.These would have enough power for whatever you wanted to hunt in the future. Also with the newer Matrix series bows out now there are some real bargains in the older model bows.Just a thought.
Thank for the advice. I found the Vortex is right around the Matrix 330 price, $10 more. Would you recommend then the Vortex over the Matrix 330?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

No i wouldn't pick the the Votrex over the 330. Matrix smaller platform lighter weight, specially if'en you be tippin n slippin around fer rabbits n other small game. They both will get the same speed usin same arrow weight. All of the Excal Huntin models will do the job, the smaller poundage models are much easier on practice shootin on yer body.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Urbanite

Post by Urbanite »

vixenmaster wrote:No i wouldn't pick the the Votrex over the 330. Matrix smaller platform lighter weight, specially if'en you be tippin n slippin around fer rabbits n other small game. They both will get the same speed usin same arrow weight. All of the Excal Huntin models will do the job, the smaller poundage models are much easier on practice shootin on yer body.
Cool. Thanks. So I really can not go wrong if I choose the Ibex/Axiom SMF then? If so (I get one of the two the SMF) the only thing I am concerned with is if I should buy the Anti-Dry-Fire option on top of it or not?
dabluz

Post by dabluz »

[quote="[/quote]

Cool. Thanks. So I really can not go wrong if I choose the Ibex/Axiom SMF then? If so (I get one of the two the SMF) the only thing I am concerned with is if I should buy the Anti-Dry-Fire option on top of it or not?[/quote]

The anti-dry-fire is up to you. I don't have it and don't intend to get it. I practice as much as possible and one of the points to remember is to always have the same routine when practicing. I like to practice alone and I go through the exact same routine every time. I take my time and put on the safety immediately after cocking. After a while, it becomes natural. Since the safety on the Excalibur is right below the scope, it's so simple to move to the fire position (slowly and silently) with the thumb that I can do it just before firing the crossbow. With my Vortex, my finger is not on the trigger when I switch the safety off so it's just a matter of sighting and touching the trigger with the first pad of my index. I use a squeezing action between thumb and forefinger and I a very mild grip of the pistol grip.

When the safety is off, there is a very nice red indicator just below the scope that tells me that there is "DANGER"....to me or the game.....lol.
Vortex
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome to the forum,get the bow you feel most comfortable with, and everyone buying a new excal should get the anti-dryfire saves a lot of grief down the road,I think it should have come with the new bows any way. Enjoy

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

330 with ADF !!! Dead is dead ! No such thing as over kill ! JMO ! :mrgreen:
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Urbanite

Post by Urbanite »

Thanks both of you. I am going to buy that extra option.

Last question before I purchase one. Are the two SMF models the only current production that have a non metal rail/track? This is a deal breaker for me on what I will or will not purchase. I may need to buy one of the older models (Vortex) or the 330. Not intersted in a composite rail/track.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Urbanite wrote:Thanks both of you. I am going to buy that extra option.

Last question before I purchase one. Are the two SMF models the only current production that have a non metal rail/track? This is a deal breaker for me on what I will or will not purchase. I may need to buy one of the older models (Vortex) or the 330. Not intersted in a composite rail/track.
The axiom & ibex are the space age plastic rail models. The rest have alum. rails
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Urbanite

Post by Urbanite »

Thanks so much. I am going to hold off for two more weeks to look out for a used model now instead of picking up one of the two SMF. Sent a message to a seller in the trade section. He has/had an Axiom with aluminum rail. Hoping to hear back from him. I am considering a Vixen now as well due to the information I received here.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Don't be afraid of a SMF rail, they sold a gazillion of them w/ very very few returns for rail problems....
"Eze 18:21"
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Urbanite wrote:Thank you Tom it does help as I was leaning towards the Ibex more than the 330. Your response brings me closer to it.
flightattendant100 wrote:In the Older models of Excal bows, some think that the 200lb. models( Exocet, Vortex) are maybe the best balance of power and ease of cocking etc.These would have enough power for whatever you wanted to hunt in the future. Also with the newer Matrix series bows out now there are some real bargains in the older model bows.Just a thought.
Thank for the advice. I found the Vortex is right around the Matrix 330 price, $10 more. Would you recommend then the Vortex over the Matrix 330?
If you will watch the trading post and ebay you can find some killer deals on used Excals of the older models. Just saw a nice exomax go for 399.00 with scope .You couldnt have touched that bow for that a couple of years ago.
The new Matrix bows are great, much smaller in size, and like all Excals they shoot lights out. But I have never had a problem with my Exomax in several years either. I guess shop around is a great idea.
Antigonish

Post by Antigonish »

I am going thru the same process.

Just sent off payment for a bow on the trading post. An aluminum rail axiom. The other used bows look pretty good, was looking at a really nice vortex package or two and few 165 Exocets.

I did a lot of thread reading on the aluminum rail vs composite SMF rail. Don't think that you can go wrong with either, saw an Ibex SMF or two on ebay and a few axioms on the trading post and ebay.

Really glad to have anyone of these. I am after game from hares to whitetail. I was leaning hard at the Ibex or vortex, but decided that I really preferred the traditional stock to the thumb hole. So vixen, axiom or bigger.

So looked at the vixen, but liked the flatter trajectory for a longer distance with the axiom. But didn't want the extra oomph of the equinox/Exomax as I do want to get smaller game from time to time. Found an Axiom from a member here. Lots of great advice and I am really looking forward to deer season. Already scouring out my local area, no neighbour for 5 Km's (3 miles) and tons of deer.

Good luck,

Adam.