State to state laws

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

typical10

State to state laws

Post by typical10 »

A recent shoulder injury has brought me to the crossbow world after 40 years of archery. I was approved by the state of Iowa for a life C/B license. My question is this, does anyone have any knowledge if a state has our same law that a c/b is legal during a archery season and a permit is obtained, will other states honor your states permit if their laws read the same? I know it will be best to call that state, just curious if any of you have had dealings? BTW my M380 is a beast also. :D thanks jeff~
agingcrossbower

Re: State to state laws

Post by agingcrossbower »

I am hunting Iowa and I do have a Disablied permit for when crossbows were restricted in this state. I had to get a form filled out by my doctor and send it to Iowa and then I got a permit. If your planning on hunting other than your state check well ahead because every state is different. Good luck to you. :D
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Every state is different and to my knowledge there is no reciprocity between states. I have hunted both Connecticut and Massachusetts with crossbow permits.

Massachusetts is a lifetime permit if you have a PERMANENT disability. There is no provision for a temporary permit. There is no fee and doctor certification is necessary.

Connecticut also had a crossbow permit for the disabled. Theirs needed to be renewed every two years. There was no fee and doctor certification and a personal interview was required when I got mine. Connecticut has since updated the laws to allow crossbows during the regular archery season.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Here is a link from Cabela's that summarizes crossbow regs across the nation.
http://www.cabelas.com/category/Crossbo ... 361180.uts
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
bowmaker

Post by bowmaker »

Last spring I did the same thing with an Iowa disabled permit. Last fall I killed a buck with my Axiom and last Sunday I killed my first crossbow turkey. I don't know about other states, but I have read that Iowa may allow crossbows for everyone in their late deer seasons for bow, muzzle loaders and handguns, which all run concurrent. I believe that the bill is just waiting for the Governor to sign it. There are several States that do allow crossbows for everyone so if you qualify for their nonresident tags I would think that you could use your crossbow. Best bet is to contact the State DNR where you are wanting to hunt and ask them. Crossbows are slowly being accepted as not the evil killing machines that they have been classified for too long. I am in southern Iowa and enjoy it. Good luck with your hunting in the future!!
Backstraps

Post by Backstraps »

Nebraska changed to full inclusion of crossbows during archery season a few years ago but previous to that you had to have a doctor form filled out and filed with the Nebraska Game and Parks to be issued the crossbow medical exception permit.
Matrix Grizzly
Vixenmaster strings
100 gr. Magnus Heads
BEE .001
AAE Max Stealth Vanes