Fletching Alignment

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

Fletching Alignment

Post by CT.HNTR »

Is it important to align the bolt fletching to the broadhead blades for consistent accuracy? Have any studies been published on this subject? I have heard it is important and have also heard it has no effect on accuracy and would like to know what everybody’s experiences are with this subject.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
xcaliber

Re: Fletching Alignment

Post by xcaliber »

Honestly, i quit doing that about 5 years ago, and never looked back. I shoot broadheads at 50 yards all the time, and see no difference. I have the 18-1 target that I use the broadheads on, and the narrow side is about 4" diameter circle which represents kill shots at these distances, and I can lay them in there with crossbows all day long. I shoot NAP 100 grain Thunderheads, and 100 grain Cabelas Copperheads, both fixed, no issues. Some like to be more precise in there aiming maybe, and they might see things differently if 1" groups are important to them. I shoot free hand a lot, and use no shooting aide in the stand, so 3" or better grouping is all I'm seeking.

Good luck, hope that helps.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

...Honestly, i quit doing that about 5 years ago, and never looked back. I shoot broadheads at 50 yards all the time, and see no difference. I have the 18-1 target that I use the broadheads on, and the narrow side is about 4" diameter circle which represents kill shots at these distances, and I can lay them in there with crossbows all day long. I shoot NAP 100 grain Thunderheads, and 100 grain Cabelas Copperheads, both fixed, no issues. Some like to be more precise in there aiming maybe, and they might see things differently if 1" groups are important to them. I shoot free hand a lot, and use no shooting aide in the stand, so 3" or better grouping is all I'm seeking.
Amen! :wink:
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

If I am building new arrows and am going to shoot 3 blade BHs then I go ahead and line up the fletchings and blades. But mostly I shoot 2 or 4 blade BHs so it's a moot point. I have sometimes been able to get a particular arrow to shoot better by doing that (use a small O ringon the BH) but just as many times it did not help too much. Re-squaring the insert and spin testing the BH to check for ANY wobble yields me better results.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><