Three Hunts, Two Down

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DirtyGun

Three Hunts, Two Down

Post by DirtyGun »

I wasn't supposed to hunt opening day, however, while driving to my in-law's place in the afternoon I spotted two toms on a property where I have taken a few over the years. A quick call to my mother-in-law gave me the go ahead to drop the kids off at her workplace, where the fastest car-seat move ever took place and I geared up in the warehouse.

After driving back to the property, one bird still remained in the field. The property is all open area, with bush lots in the middle, so there's a lot of open ground to cover. I opted to watch from the road and wait for the bird to enter the bush or go around the other side where he wouldn't see me crossing. The landowner stopped as he was driving by and questioned why I was still in my car with a bit of a laugh, then told me to go get the 'trespasser' when I got the chance. :D

The bird went around the other side of the bush and off I went, moving as quickly as I could across a freshly ploughed field (my knees still ache) and entered one of the snowmobile trails in the bush that would lead me to the other side where the bird went.

Halfway into the bush, I pulled out a Gobblestalker slate and let out a few quick yelps and a gobbler sounded off in the cut corn field on the other side. I moved another 40 yards forward, sat down at the base of a large tree and waited a little longer. He gobbled again, but this time, he was in the bush. I opted for the silent treatment and sure enough, I spotted his white head bobbing around looking for his love interest he thought he heard. He closed to 30 yards and met up with a load of #6s. Who says you can't kill turkeys in the afternoon? ;)

19lbs
6/8" spurs
9.5" beard

On Saturday morning, I took my six-year-old daughter out. It ended up being a very cold and windy morning, so we only spent a couple hours in the blind before packing it in for her sake. We didn't hear a gobble all morning.

On Monday morning, as I usually do every season, I took a first-timer out and showed him just how easy turkey hunting is. ;) It seems almost every time I take a first timer out, the hunt is quick and they think there's not much to this whole turkey hunting thing. The bird ended up being roosted 30 yards behind us. I watched him dance on his roost until he decided to fly down and join the decoys, where the newbie put him down. Just once I'd like to take out a first timer and have to chase a gobbler through the swamp and get covered in mud. :D

20 lbs
3/4" spurs
9" beard

Hoping to get the blind set up in a good location for the bow when the rain goes away.

Good luck for the rest of the season!
mr meat

Re: Three Hunts, Two Down

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the two birds!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

CONGRATS!! To you both!!
The best things in life are not things!!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

CONGRATS on the two short hunts!

I'll bet you've got that newbie fooled into thinking this turkey hunting stuff is easy. heh heh heh 8)

I always love to see hunters taking new hunters out into the woods! I know we all feel protective of our often precious few hunting spots, but the future of hunting and conservation is in passing along the tradition.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

VixChix wrote:CONGRATS on the two short hunts!

I'll bet you've got that newbie fooled into thinking this turkey hunting stuff is easy. heh heh heh 8)

I always love to see hunters taking new hunters out into the woods! I know we all feel protective of our often precious few hunting spots, but the future of hunting and conservation is in passing along the tradition.
You know I enjoy watching new hunters make their first harvest more than filling my own tags now Moni. I actually enjoy calling birds in for others and giving them the opportunity to hunt where there are birds more than I like calling them in for myself. I have one bird in the freezer and I'm really debating taking another or just taking a couple more people out instead. I figure a couple more birds out of both areas I frequent won't hurt the population at all. Seeing a lot of them and based on the pictures I grabbed off of my scouting cameras, they wintered really well.

I've put at least one new hunter on a bird for four years running now. Hoping to keep that streak going.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats twice on the Toms y'all killed
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pa.hunter

Post by Pa.hunter »

Nice birds Congrats!!!!!

Charlie
Matrix 405 with Leupold VX-R FireDot duplex
Matrix 380 Xtra with Leupold VX-R FireDot duplex
Matrix 330 with Leupold Crossbones
TriggerTech Matrix hunter 2.5 in all 3
Black Eagles
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Beauty birds!!

Next year I will be taking a week off to Turkey hunt. I can't get enough of it & work is getting in the way!! LOL
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Beauty birds!!

Next year I will be taking a week off to Turkey hunt. I can't get enough of it & work is getting in the way!! LOL
I'm lucky to work from home and I have a fantastic wife who takes a week of vacation during turkey season and a week of vacation during deer season to give me ample time to get out.

Wish the weather would cooperate more now, though. Wet and windy changes the game quite a bit.