M380 blows [Picture]

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Re: M380 blows [Picture]

Post by vixenmaster »

Bird wrote:My 405 did the same thing this morning. This is not the only issue I have had with this bow. I am truly disappointed in this bow, so much so that I have also thrown in the towel and ready to move on. The bow has been down for one reason or another more than it's been working. I will not bash Excalibur, because they have taken care of all the issues, I just don't trust the bow and can't depend on it.
I am sorry to hear you gotstid a bad lemon in yer 405. I have owned, shot, n hunted wid Excals since 96, never have i had one go down that i didn't get to hunt the season wid.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Dash

Post by Dash »

enormous wrote:The broken Lumenoks may indicate that the arrow may not have been seated 100% on the string and a partial dryfire caused the limb tip stress. If brace height was low then additional stress may occur on the limb tip. Also, the string slamming into the Lumenock if not seated 100% may cause damage to the Lumen. as you mention.
In my humble opinion, enormous is on the money here about the nock or arrow not being seated properly.
If you read the opening statements to this thread it was mentioned that the shot prior to the damage saw the arrow nose dive early at 15yds. That indicates a partial dryfire!!!
It's most likely a dodgy nock, or an arrow that wasn't seated properly.

One thing I have noticed with my lumenoks, is that due to the groove in the middle, the antidryfire on the 380/405 catches the nock groove slightly and chews it away. Not a great combo. With normal alloy/plastic nocks the ADF has nothing to catch on to. something to keep in mind.
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

I wonder if These recent problems with The Matrix Crossbows have anything to do with the recent merger with that other company maybe with lax of Quality Control and personal attention given by Excalibur before, I hope not I bought a 355 but haven't shot it that much spent lots of money and sold a perfectly good Parker Tornado .
It's interesting how often we hear this now, the answer is a huge NO! The merger with Bowtech has not changed how we do things in any negative way. Excalibur crossbow products are made in the same location by the same people as they have always been. The only thing the merger has done has offered us a lot more resources and the ability to make our product even better.

Peter
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

My 405 did the same thing this morning. This is not the only issue I have had with this bow. I am truly disappointed in this bow, so much so that I have also thrown in the towel and ready to move on. The bow has been down for one reason or another more than it's been working. I will not bash Excalibur, because they have taken care of all the issues, I just don't trust the bow and can't depend on it.
Sorry to hear about your issues with your new Matrix 405. The facts and our testing show that the 405 is a reliable as any model we have ever made. With the Guardian installed we get almost no limb tip issues. However, as mentioned, if the arrow is not properly seated against the string it will act like a dry-fire and the result can be a broken limb. The Matrix 405 releases an enormous (sorry norm :) ) amount of energy, if the arrow is not able to absorb all the energy the limbs will. The Matrix limbs are strong but a dry-fire with the 405 can certainly over stress the limbs and cause failures. Make sure the arrow is properly seated before every shot.

Matrix limb failures under normal shooting conditions is so low that its not worth mentioning.

I'm sorry to hear you think your crossbow is a lemon but I can assure you it's not. A strange thing happens with warranty, some people shoot the same crossbow for 20 years with not even a frayed string while another's will have a series of issues. If our crossbows were more complicated I may believe one crossbow could be a lemon but if you think about it, a recurve crossbow is just two limbs and a trigger held together with a mainframe. There is very little to go wrong. I'm not familiar with what else has happened with your crossbow (sorry, I talk to a lot of people and my memory is good but a little short), I gather one was the recall which was not really as much of a problem as a precaution.

Anyhow, I know we will never make everybody happy but I can assure you we really try hard to.

Peter
Bird

Post by Bird »

There was no warning with my 405. I shot 4 arrows, all in a 1" dot at 30 yards, then the 5th shot I heard something hit the side of my truck about 15 feet away. I started looking and saw the new string (maybe 25 shots) cut badly on the serving at the loop on the left limb. A piece of the tip had broken out without warning and flew down range. The arrow was spot on and buried just as deep in the target as the others. If I had not heard something hit the side of my truck, I probably would have cocked (or at least tried) the bow again ? I was shooting out of a lead sled so nothing was near the limb tips. There was no dry fire or partial dry fire.
I applaud Excalibur for sending me a RMA # so quickly and there willingness to make the repairs, I guess some of us Matrix owners just got a bad epoxy job.
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

I applaud Excalibur for sending me a RMA # so quickly and there willingness to make the repairs, I guess some of us Matrix owners just got a bad epoxy job.
Anything is possible and since every limb we make is made by hand something could go wrong. We're good but not perfect. :D But, less than 1% of all the limbs we make ever have an issue which compared to other products out there is pretty good.

Peter
Waif

Post by Waif »

Bird wrote:There was no warning with my 405. I shot 4 arrows, all in a 1" dot at 30 yards, then the 5th shot I heard something hit the side of my truck about 15 feet away. I started looking and saw the new string (maybe 25 shots) cut badly on the serving at the loop on the left limb. A piece of the tip had broken out without warning and flew down range. The arrow was spot on and buried just as deep in the target as the others. If I had not heard something hit the side of my truck, I probably would have cocked (or at least tried) the bow again ? I was shooting out of a lead sled so nothing was near the limb tips. There was no dry fire or partial dry fire.
Interesting. I would wonder if lead sled restricts energy dissipation via our bodies and wiggling arms.. Hoping your Matrix runs true from here out.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
strum

Post by strum »

Waif wrote:
Bird wrote:There was no warning with my 405. I shot 4 arrows, all in a 1" dot at 30 yards, then the 5th shot I heard something hit the side of my truck about 15 feet away. I started looking and saw the new string (maybe 25 shots) cut badly on the serving at the loop on the left limb. A piece of the tip had broken out without warning and flew down range. The arrow was spot on and buried just as deep in the target as the others. If I had not heard something hit the side of my truck, I probably would have cocked (or at least tried) the bow again ? I was shooting out of a lead sled so nothing was near the limb tips. There was no dry fire or partial dry fire.
Interesting. I would wonder if lead sled restricts energy dissipation via our bodies and wiggling arms.. Hoping your Matrix runs true from here out.

no way man!! if so I would have blown a bunch of up
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Boo

Post by Boo »

Waif wrote:
I think there is some truth to what you say. While I doubt that using a lead sled in itself can cause damage I believe it is harder on your limbs than without.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Bird

Post by Bird »

Well the bow was not strapped down, as a matter of fact it was resting very loosely and there was no extra weight in the sled. Might , just might want to consider there could be a problem with the epoxy job(s). Mine is not the only one that has lost a limb tip for whatever reason. Upon close examination you could see an area on the limb that either received no epoxy or the epoxy didn't bond.
I will not debate this subject on an open forum as it will serve no propose. Excalibur is going to fix this problem, as they have the others, under warranty and for that I am thankful. I do however plan to ask my dealer for a refund so I can purchase something else. If they are not willing to do that, it will be up for sale soon.
Waif

Post by Waif »

strum wrote:
Waif wrote:

no way man!! if so I would have blown a bunch of up
Well then based on your info,lacking a sled myself, its not harmonic balance finding a weak spot perhaps. Too many years in production for the auto industry leaves one academically interested in anomalies in processes from surface prep to bonding agents and testing of same. My post not meant to suggest Bird did anything wrong.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Winchester 70

Post by Winchester 70 »

I have a 380 on layaway, should I switch my layaway to something else? I thought the 380 was a very dependable crossbow?
Matrix 380
Boo Custom String w/whiskers
Black Eagle Executioners
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Winchester 70 wrote:I have a 380 on layaway, should I switch my layaway to something else? I thought the 380 was a very dependable crossbow?
Nutten wrong wid the 380's, its abit faster than my 355. Its a very good model
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
typical10

Post by typical10 »

Keep it, it was just a fluke, jeff~