Is this normal

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

typical10

Is this normal

Post by typical10 »

A new string on my M380 is scary accurate.The factory string stretches bad fast, as soon as I twist it [CCW] to keep it off the bumpers POA moves 3-5 inches and I have to redial the scope, is the to be expected? thanks jeff~
xcaliber

Re: Is this normal

Post by xcaliber »

Nope, there is something wrong. Check scope mount first, make sure it is tight. Check rings also, there is something going goofy here. If you twist the string CCW, and it moves the brace height up, then there is something else interfering with your accuracy.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Twist yer string up 3/8" at least wid a new string
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
typical10

Post by typical10 »

vixenmaster wrote:Twist yer string up 3/8" at least wid a new string
That's exactly what I did, started touching the bumpers in 15 shots, twisted it a 1/4" and it was 5" left, this is ridiculas! Everything is locktited, rings are lapped, scoped is leveled, even put the new xb30 hawke on it. I was bragging on it at noon today, and now this again.
This is the same story as with the 1st set of limbs, I'm not a idiot, something on this thing is messed up and I can't figure it out. WTF~
Last edited by typical10 on Mon May 05, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Can you snap a few pictures of this crossbow, showing the string in relation to the bumpers, etc. Get as clear, and close as you can please, and then we can try to see what is going on. I think we are missing a few pieces to the puzzle here. If your replacement string is doing fine, and the stock string is not, toss it! That is my best recommendation at this point.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Not worried about 5" left, scopes can adjust. Keep the string up, let it stretch. Use the same arrow n mark yer cock vane down. That way yer arrow will always be the same.
Half Bubble Off BD360

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Need to have only one arrow, were gonna see whats actually goin on
Half Bubble Off BD360

onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I had a string once that keep on stretching and I thought it never would stop but, It did. Took forever and it turned out to be pretty good after all. Check it every few shots or so and keep on twisting to keep the brace height you want and make sure nothing is loose.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

X2. Let's minimize the variables. If you make three changes, you really don't which one did anything! :?
Boo

Post by Boo »

You may see up to 18 twists by the time the string stops creeping. The more twist you put on the faster the string will creep in. No harm in being 1/2" from the bumpers.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

A new string on my M380 is scary accurate.
What string please?
"Eze 18:21"
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Factory strings stretch way to much in my opinion , keep twisting as suggested but order a 36/40 strand string from someone here on the forum . :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

vixenmaster wrote:Use the same arrow n mark yer cock vane down. That way yer arrow will always be the same.
X2! Use the same arrow, and use the same cock vane on that arrow. I've had some arrows that will change POI depending on what vane is used for the cock vane. There can also be different POI with different arrows. Eliminate possible causes one at a time.
When you add twists to the string make sure the loops are centered on the tips.
It's not unusual to have to resight your scope when changing from one string to another; different materials, string weights and strand counts, all that can vary from one maker to another and can give different POI.
Try this: The string you're having problems with is hitting 5" left, so take the string off and without adding or removing any twists, swap the ends around so the loop that was on the left limb is now on the right. Use the same arrow and if your POI is now off to the right then I'd say you have a bum string, maybe it's heavier on one end or the serving is off center or something.

EDIT... I just thought about this... is this the same string that was on the bow when the magtip came off? If it is, I wouldnt shoot it, it might have some damage you can't see or one loop might have got stretched out bigger when it slid up the limb. If it's the factory string I'd send it back.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Also be consistent in cocking your bow, same hook on first etc. Once changed the length of the cocking rope and my POI also changed. Good luck.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
typical10

Post by typical10 »

The string is a new fresh Excalibur supplied string~