Unstringing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jc1

Unstringing

Post by Jc1 »

I picked up my Axiom at the end of deer season last year. Got to hunt with it a few times, but still a rookie with it. I've done a lot of recurve and longbow vertical hunting and I've always kept those unstrung so I decided that I'm going to shoot mine a few more times and then unstring her for the next 3 months. Watched the video and it seems pretty straight foreward. My main question is this. Will unstringing it in any way change how it is sighted in? If it is dead on, after I unstring it, I won't have to re-sight it in or anything will I ? I figure I'll take some pics of how the string is positioned in the limb tip knocks so I put it back the same way. Thanks in advance.
Normous

Re: Unstringing

Post by Normous »

Unstringing and restringing should not change your POI if you mark the brace height and restring to the same position or height.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

X2. A good idea is to use a paper clip and fasten the loops together exactly as they come off the bow so you don't add or remove any twists, and put it back on exactly the same. You should be good to go but it's always a good idea to shoot a few shots to confirm.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

X3....that's how Don (Boo) sends his strings to you...and that's how I put them away when not in use....

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

I had an Exomax for four years and I always unstrung it whenever it was not going to be used for awhile. I would restring and it was always right back on zero. I did as mentioned above however and kept the string orientated to go right back on exactly or very close to where it was when sighted in.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

there is realy no reason to unstring your crossbow .leaving it strung keeps the string in good shape .think off it like your springs on your car or truck no need to take the pressure off the springs at all DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Did a little test early spring this year with a friend. We set our brace heights at normal setting, 3/16" high, and 1/4" high. Shot through chronograph, and saw 2 FPS change worse case, and about 1/2" change in POI at 40 yards! I set mine high for leaving it cocked when hunting from now on! I leave my crossbows strung with the cocking rope latches on holding the string off bumpers, adjust height if needed before shooting.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I left my Emax strung for 2-3 yrs w/ no loss in fps.
"Eze 18:21"
Rusty Gate

Post by Rusty Gate »

My 405 is always strung as well. But before I shoot I just make sure I'm 1/4" off the bumpers. I don't have a chrono but my POI has remained unchanged as long as I'm the proper distance off the bumpers. At this point I have no plans to unstring it either unless there's some real reason for doing so.....I try to shoot a 2 or 3 times a week, not a great volume, but enough to keep the feel sharp.