O.T.- Carp Shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

O.T.- Carp Shooting

Post by paulaboutform »

Managed to get out bowfishing for the first time this season. Saw 6 fish, got four shots, hit three, and got two in the boat. I hit the third fish I shot from about six feet away, saw the arrow hit and the carp roll but went to reel it in and my line was gone. The line had wrapped around the handle of my reel and cut clean off. My fish was gone with my $30.00 solid carbon arrow. :? The fourth fish I shot at was quite deep and I shot over top of it. The first one was over 20lbs and the second was about 14lbs. Not seeing the number of carp I used to but still a great way to spend a day off. This bowfishing is completely addicting. Are there any other bowfishers out there....or crossbow fishers?
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Pydpiper

Re: O.T.- Carp Shooting

Post by Pydpiper »

Im hooked. Found five holes in my local river that are holding a couple hundred carp each.
Thursday I am taking two people out that are new to the sport for a run in the boat. Hard not to get addicted.
Easy shooting, fun reeling.
By myself I wader down the river, and watching the mud and water explode is like nothing I have ever experienced..
From a boat, or dock, it is still fun, but more shooting than hunting.
We are welding up a deck for the boat as we speak, more room for more people!
Easy sport with great dividends.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

This is what we use for the snake head's, this boat belongs to my cousins buddy.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Awesome guys! Question. What would the be the minimum draw weight for carp be?
Thanks,
Hank
footed shaft

Post by footed shaft »

A 35/40 lb recurve it lots. On most days u will be shooting 100/150 times a day, and that gets hard on a shoulder if you are using something with much more poundage. A lot of shots will come at close range, so u don't need LOTS of power to get to them.
Bill
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

I love bowfishing, haven't been out yet though. Need to borrow my buddy's boat! The canoe just doesn't cut it.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

OH MY GOSH!...150-200 shots a day! ??? I'm so completely jealous! My buddy that introduced me to bowfishing told me stories about shooting fish until you couldn't draw the bow back anymore but the most I've ever seen is about 8 shots in one day and some of those shots were out to 30yards+. Awesome boat by the way. Well, if anyone would like the company of this B.C. boy it seems I'd have to head east for some great bowfishing. Out here my 4 shots in about 3 1/2 hours on my boat was a great day. If you fellas are having good days shooting fish I'd love to hear about it. At least I can live vicariously through some fellow forum members. :D
rayman

Post by rayman »

Lots of guys in central and south Florida bowfish tilapia. 50 to 100 shots a night are common sometimes. Lots of fun but haven't done it in a long time because the closest place is about 1.5 hr drive and they are not fit to eat. The wild ones are different than the farm raised ones you can buy at the store.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I'm suspicious that fisheries has done something to kill off the carp. They're such prolific breeders that the numbers here wouldn't decline so rapidly over ten or so years. I dream about days on the water shooting piles of fish. Oh well, I may have to go south to Texas or Louisiana and do a bowfishing charter with some buddies. Are there any bowfishing guides in Ontario anyone knows about? With the numbers of fish I'm hearing about that'd be a great business opportunity for someone.
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

Are there any set ups for shooting with a crossbow(Excalibur).I was on another crossbow web forum and had heard of people using crossbows for carp shooting.Michigan just allowed using crossbows for shooting fish.I have not seen any set ups for using a crossbow.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

jd4223 wrote:Are there any set ups for shooting with a crossbow(Excalibur).I was on another crossbow web forum and had heard of people using crossbows for carp shooting.Michigan just allowed using crossbows for shooting fish.I have not seen any set ups for using a crossbow.
I believe AMS has a bowfishing setup but for me I'd need a much lower poundage bow than my M380. I'm not sure if Muzzy also has a bowfishing setup.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I use a cut down rail from a vortex an now about 100lb . I have a muzzy spinner mounted on the front of mine an use monkey wire , slugged black eagle executioner arrows with bohning fish point around 800gr total .
an deadly accurate. 1 inch groups at 10yds with string attached.
the spawnings late this year an just now kicking in an I was out this morning shooting from a high bridge practicing at targets out to 20 yds on the bottom an this rig is deadly accurate. Missed one up close an shot over but heading back in a few. I love it!!!!
xbowhardcases

Post by xbowhardcases »

Carp Shooting is a lot of fun :lol:

I have had a problem finding a good crossbow set-up for small rivers or within flooded timber. My Matrix 355 just has way to much power for these types of areas because you end up destroying a lot of arrows.

ideally I would like to find a crossbow that is 30-50 lbs. The apex can work but still is a bit high with a 90 lb draw weight.

the pixel seems really intriguing, it only has a 40 lb draw weight which is the perfect sweet spot for shallow water shooting. I wish the price point wasn't so high on it.

I am looking for a used Pixel or Apex if anyone has a lead.

I have a friend who can make the L brackets to mount the AMS reel on the stock grip