Freezing apples for deer?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kegbelly

Freezing apples for deer?

Post by Kegbelly »

I have an apple tree in the backyard that's covered up with apples and they're dropping all over, I picked up two 5-gallon buckets full this evening. So I'm thinking about freezing them for use this fall. We can't legally hunt over bait here, but you can put stuff out off-season as long as it's gone by a certain date. I know they'll be mushy after being frozen but I don't think the deer will mind, they're not baking pies with them :mrgreen: Anyone tried putting apples out and did it help draw deer in?
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Starvin' Hillbilly

Re: Freezing apples for deer?

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Kegbelly,
my neighbors got an apple tree and they'll clean up the ground! i've even scoped doe's standing, pulling apples off the lower limbs :lol:

Of course it depends on what's natural to your hunt'n area . . . my brother dumped some pears one time and some doe's came in but the snooty b!@%&s turned their noses up at them :roll:
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
Waif

Post by Waif »

They eat frozen apples here each winter. I imagine they eat frozen and thawed as well.Many years ago some folks put out apple pulp from a cooperation on their farm,the claim was deer were attracted to it in time. Did learn it takes time to get used to anything new though. A buddy had a buck come down through and side step his carrots and apples the first evening he had them out. We were in an area up north the deer may not have had experienced them.l.o.l..
While not big on putting stuff out,on occasion my preference is a treat the deer don,t find in their normal movements.Freeze away. Cider is nice though,or wine. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Waif on Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Kegbelly wrote:I have an apple tree in the backyard that's covered up with apples and they're dropping all over, I picked up two 5-gallon buckets full this evening. So I'm thinking about freezing them for use this fall. We can't legally hunt over bait here, but you can put stuff out off-season as long as it's gone by a certain date. I know they'll be mushy after being frozen but I don't think the deer will mind, they're not baking pies with them :mrgreen: Anyone tried putting apples out and did it help draw deer in?
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Kegbelly wrote:I have an apple tree in the backyard that's covered up with apples and they're dropping all over, I picked up two 5-gallon buckets full this evening. So I'm thinking about freezing them for use this fall. We can't legally hunt over bait here, but you can put stuff out off-season as long as it's gone by a certain date. I know they'll be mushy after being frozen but I don't think the deer will mind, they're not baking pies with them :mrgreen: Anyone tried putting apples out and did it help draw deer in?

Take those apples and find a ol rotten stump and keep dumping those apples on it and let them rot right down into the stump start your own lick.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

can't keep the deer out of my orchard, they eat the trees before the apples grow . had to fence them all. wife says it looks like san Quintin in our front yard. yes you can freeze them but when they thaw they will be kinda soft.the deer will eat them no matter what . :roll:
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

I dump them out all winter and they freeze before the deer get to them but they still eat them along with the turkeys!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

Deer love apples but I find if you put them out in piles the raccoons beat the deer to most of them.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Thanks for the input everyone. I know they like apples, I've seen them eat apples and pears off the ground under my neighbor's trees, but I didn't know if freezing them would make them less appealing. I'm going to give it a try.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
nzfred

Post by nzfred »

Used to feed apples to red deer around my deer pens as a pre feed, then dump a lot in the pen sucked them in every :D time and they loved them. After wrestling them down in the pen and tying their legs with dog callers i carried them out to my boat on a carry pack and put them in the back of the boat and took them of the pack, then cut an apple into pieces and forced it into the deers mouth they eventually stopped pushing it out when the sweet taste got to them and within half an hour they would be looking for the next one every time the bag came out, made them very easy to handle and stopped them from sulking. Only had problems with one deer it was a big old stag and i forced the apple into his mouth he pushed it our and i pushed it back in when he suddenly bit down and my thumb happened to be in the way,the eye tooth went through my thumb like butter and he wasn"t going to let go so had to dispatch him in a hurry he crushed the bone and made a good hole. I was a bit more careful after that.
Matrix 380 xtra
HHA optimiser
Diablo 18" iluminated
Spitfire 125g bh
Boo string