What a snake!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hetichunter

Re: What a snake!

Post by hetichunter »

I would like to offer a different view then all the other posters regarding this subject. I never kill them, venomous or not.

They serve a purpose, they help keep rodents in check. Just as wolves, coyotes, birds of prey and all other predators do. Some we kill because of reputation. I have no problem with this. Coyotes make this list. But we hunt them for the sport and they are certainly enough numbers to support this practice. Hunting snakes is not a sport unless you consider the various "rattlesnake round up's" a sporting event.

Many kill snakes because of the perception that they are dangerous and need to be destroyed. If you are in that group, do you think the same of bears, mountain lions and wolves? Take a look at the statistics.

If you check Wikipedia you will find the amount of deaths in the United States since 2010 due to snakebite to be as follows:

Jamie Coots, male
Feb 15, 2014 rattlesnake

Coots was bitten on the right hand during a service at his Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name church in Middlesboro, Kentucky. After the bite, Coots dropped the snakes, but then picked them back up and continued the ceremony. Later, he was driven to his home. When paramedics arrived, his relatives refused medical treatment for him, saying it was inconsistent with his religion. He died at home.

Mark Randall Wolford, 44, male
May 28, 2012 Timber Rattlesnake

Wolford was bitten on the thigh while handling a timber rattlesnake as part of an outdoor religious service at Panther State Forest in McDowell County, West Virginia. Wolford did not initially seek medical treatment for his injury, but was taken to Bluefield Regional Medical Center when his condition began to deteriorate some eight hours later. Wolford was a pastor and often handled his pet snake during church services. Wolford's father, Mack Wolford, died in 1983 under similar circumstances.

Wade Westbrook, 26, male
January 29, 2011 Copperhead

Westbrook was bitten just above the right elbow while handling a copperhead; he had been attempting to determine the snake's sex. According to witnesses, Westbrook "tried to extract the venom with a tool after he was bitten, then he began coughing and vomiting before he collapsed. Westbrook was pronounced dead on arrival at Erlanger Hospital in Chattanooga, Tennessee.The cause of death was determined to be "anaphylactic shock as a result of the snake bite."

William Price, 67, male
October 13, 2010 rattlesnake

Probably a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake Price was bitten above the right ankle while wading across a stream near Cuyamaca Reservoir in Cuyamaca, California. Price had been taking part in a study of steelhead trout that was funded by a state Department of Fish and Game grant. According to witnesses, Price "stopped breathing within minutes" of being bitten. The bite marks on his foot were reportedly "an inch and a half across." Price was airlifted to Palomar Medical Center, but later died.

That is four people since 2010 and two were religious nut balls and one died from careless handling. The only death from an outdoor activity was that of William Price.

By contrast, according to Wikipedia, there have been ten deaths attributed to bear attacks in North America. But of course we do not shoot every bear we see because they are dangerous.

The snake has always been the most loathed creature on this earth. Nothing is going to change this. This has been indoctrinated into all of us from an early age beginning with Adam & Eve and up to Yosemite Sam calling another character a low down snake. So saying that you kill snakes because they are dangerous just does not hold water. You kill snakes because that is what you have been taught.

When I was in Iraq we were lectured about snakes and the correct protocol. There are six species of venomous snakes in that hell hole of a country. We were advised to avoid all contact and never use our weapon to kill them and possibly compromise our position. A few guys used rocks to kill some, but most followed the orders to avoid. I saw several while deployed and I left them alone.

So before you place the bead on the next one you happen upon, ask yourself why you are killing it. Ninety-nine percent of you will answer "because it is a snake." And that is a shame.

I know I am in the extreme minority here. But what the hell, an opposing viewpoint is needed now and again. :)
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I have killed every snake in my hen house that I see, they're either full of baby chicks or eggs and that myth they don't eat but once a month or so BS I don't kill these in the wild, how ever I've lost a number of beagle pups due to rabbits like the same log piles and brush that copper heads do.I will kill all poison snakes I see any where if given the chance. They're like a mosquito and what the hell are they good for.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
tammie

Post by tammie »

we had a copperhead get in the boat with us recently,scared me :shock: i considered climbing on top of the console to the highest spot in the boat.we took off & it bailed when we got to top speed!i understand if you get bitten by a copperhead the anti -venom is about $25000.00 per vial & you might need several!yall becareful & remember theres probably gonna be a mate nearby !
matrix 380 w grim reaper 125 grain (midevil 2) equinox w boltcutter 150 grain (midevil 1)
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Say what you may . The ground crawlers give me the shivers even on TV . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Holy $$%%!!! Even with a 45 and snake gators if I saw that dude I think I'd go the other way. Damn that's a big snake! A diamondback too, he would positively mess up your day! :shock:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

In Fla. they've been known to knock a horse down,the eastern diamond back is a bad dude.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Quick follow up if anyone is interested...
Skinned him out last Saturday, then 8 days in a 50/50 solution of denatured alcohol and glycerin, comes out like nice supple leather. Still creeps me out handling it though :lol: This dude measured 50" minus a head and 7" in circumference. I don't think I'll cut it up into hatbands or even a belt, it wastes too much. Gonna get a slab from the local lumber mill where they cut off the bark to square up logs and mount the whole skin on it, should be a cool looking piece. Just hope I don't turn around and bump into it unexpectedly and give myself a heart attack :lol:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
rayman

Post by rayman »

Couple of reported statistics from our closest big hospital that takes a lot of snake bite victims- Shands in Gainesville, Florida:

In a news article in June hospital officials said they see from 50 to 80 venomous snake bites a year.

A healthy person with a mild bite may only receive 6 to 8 viles of antivenom. In severe cases, victims may receive over 80 viles of antivenom. Due to the cost of the antivenom itself, and the costs of storing, preparing, and administering the antivenom, Shands gets about $20,000 per vile. That's from $120,000 to $1.6 MM per incident.

Venomous snake bite victims may have to stay in the hospital for two weeks or more.

Personally, I don't want to visit my kid or wife in the hospital for two weeks and have to deal with all that. My first dog was killed y a rattlesnake bite, and my wife had to take two of our dogs that we have now to the vet while I was working out of town and dropped a bundle on getting them treated for rattlesnake bites. I let non-poisonous snakes go, but kill all the venomous snakes I see around my house or anywhere else except in parks. :)
gabowman

Post by gabowman »

mjac wrote:Cant kill em in TN. :(
I could....I just wouldnt have to tell anybody. I'll agree with whats already said....a good snake is a dead snake.