Cracked limb

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ds762

Cracked limb

Post by ds762 »

I was out shooting my Matrix 380 this morning with my new BEE arrows this morning. Great arrows!!

Decided to do a little scouting, saw a nice buck that should go 160 come season. Got back to the car and noticed one of my limbs is CRACKED!!

Called Excalibur and Dawn is getting me taken care of. I'm still bummed out though .. :(

David
M380 ---"Mjolnir"
Vendetta RF
BEE

>>>--------->
one shot scott

Re: Cracked limb

Post by one shot scott »

That sucks. Did you have it with ya as you were walking around or was it stored in the vehicle?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
ds762

Post by ds762 »

Had it w me loaded with field points. Went to uncock it and the was a ever so small twig stuck in the crack which is why I even noticed it! :(
M380 ---"Mjolnir"
Vendetta RF
BEE

>>>--------->
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Dawns the best, she will have you back in action in no time. sounds like you have the pick of the litter , 160 that's nice :roll: :roll: :roll: good luck
ds762

Post by ds762 »

Ive already got it sent back .. I hope everything goes smooth. I chose Excalibur partly because I felt it was the best option and partly due to their reputation of taking care of problems!

That buck was less than 20 yards from the tree I hang my stand on. Slipped in and out without being detected! (By the buck .. Not LE) :twisted:
Last edited by ds762 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M380 ---"Mjolnir"
Vendetta RF
BEE

>>>--------->
Normous

Post by Normous »

ds762 wrote: "Had it w me loaded with field points"

That buck was less than 20 yards from the tree I hang my stand on. Slipped in and out without being detected! :twisted:
Might be an interesting court case if Law or Wildlife Enforcement saw you at this time of year.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ds762

Post by ds762 »

Normous wrote:
ds762 wrote: "Had it w me loaded with field points"

That buck was less than 20 yards from the tree I hang my stand on. Slipped in and out without being detected! :twisted:
Might be an interesting court case if Law or Wildlife Enforcement saw you at this time of year.

I had my M380 on a sling over my shoulder. I never pointed the bow at the buck. I had field points and a valid small game hunting license. I don't see where the game warden could've said a damn thing!

ETA: I can see your concern though
M380 ---"Mjolnir"
Vendetta RF
BEE

>>>--------->
Normous

Post by Normous »

No problem, one needs to be aware of the law at times like this, I'd hate to see your equipment confiscated, fine imposed or hunting license suspended in a compromising situation.

Excalibur limb fail are less that 1% and your choice in Excalibur has you covered at all times unlike other crossbow manufacturers.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
ds762

Post by ds762 »

Normous wrote:No problem, one needs to be aware of the law at times like this, I'd hate to see your equipment confiscated, fine imposed or hunting license suspended in a compromising situation.

Excalibur limb fail are less that 1% and your choice in Excalibur has you covered at all times unlike other crossbow manufacturers.
I never go scouting or in the woods period without a bow or gun. Too many critters (2 & 4 legged) that might need killing. Though without that small game license I would've been proverbially F***ed!!

Your statement about Excalibur does make me feel better.

What does the warranty cover/not cover? I read the thread and it appears it's their discretion.

What typically causes limb failure? Could it have possibly been something I did or did not do????
M380 ---"Mjolnir"
Vendetta RF
BEE

>>>--------->
Normous

Post by Normous »

Limb failure (severe breakage) is often caused by high heat such as storage in a heated car or drying your bow to close to a fire.

A sliver crack on an edge is not considered a failure. 250,000+ individual strands of fiberglass are used in each Excalibur limb and a small sliver (crack) is easily trimmed and sanded and can provide thousands of additional shots without loss in speed or accuracy.
NOTE: Not fully seating your arrow (even less than 1/8") against the string may cause a partial dryfire and a small crack of sliver to develop on an edge.

I suppose Excalibur could deny warranty if you bow was heavily modified which your bow was not and you will receive a prompt replacement that often depends on the Herd of Turtles (Post) for timing.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
ds762

Post by ds762 »

Thank you for your input!

I haven't done anything drastic. The crack was on the R limb about an inch or two away from the inside end. It cracked about halfway (width wise) and about 1/4 the way from bottom edge towards the top edge. Trying to get the poor photos loaded to photobucket so I can post them.

Dawn did email me that the only expense to me would be the return shipping cost. I'm feeling better about things!!
M380 ---"Mjolnir"
Vendetta RF
BEE

>>>--------->
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I just just got my new limbs last friday for the same problem. The limb splintered last hunting season and I continued to fill my tags with it. Getting replacement limbs took a little less than a month.( crappy Canada Post) No questions asked except for return address. You're in good hands! :D
Hank
edit: If I had a do over, I would have sent them the money for a courier to get my beast back quicker.
Also, you shouldnt have to resight your bow. Just add twists to your string til your pippin the ace at fifty yards again.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I'm sure Excalibur will look after ya! They are pretty good about such things and dawn is excellent.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
ds762

Post by ds762 »

Thanks guys!! It's a little nerve wrecking to have this problem but your kind words help make it tolerable.

I knew I chose Excalibur for a reason!!

ETA: I'll update this post as to what happens.
M380 ---"Mjolnir"
Vendetta RF
BEE

>>>--------->
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup tree rat season be open, so you was ok wid the field pts. Sides i ain't never layed eyes on a Warden since i have lived here. Too bad about the limb, you should have sent them into Danny Miller or Woodys on the USA side of Border. Heck thats why i have couple of crossbows & spare set of limbs as in 4 sets! :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315