Target stuffing materials Edit-new targets made

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kegbelly

Target stuffing materials Edit-new targets made

Post by Kegbelly »

I need to re-stuff my homemade bag targets. One is packed with rags and scraps of cloth. I think I have enough of the same to repack one target.

The other is packed with black polyethylene sheet, like giant garbage bags. It stops arrows great but the friction melts the plastic to the arrows and all but glues them in place if you don't use lube on every shot. So I'm looking for alternatives.
I have access to discarded stretch wrap at work, it's like thick Saran wrap, same stuff they use to shrink-wrap stuff on pallets. But being plastic also, am I going to have the same problem as the black plastic? Anyone tried the stretch wrap and how does it work?
The other material I don't really know how to explain it, it's a fibrous sheet material and looks very similar to the black or gray landscaping fabric you buy in rolls, it's actually used as backing in automotive carpet. Would this be a better choice? Thanks for any input.
Last edited by Kegbelly on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Backstraps

Re: Target stuffing materials

Post by Backstraps »

I've tried the stretch wrap and you are going to have plastic residue on your arrows but they do remove easier than shooting through layers material. I think the clothing material is still the best. Not sure about the landscape fabric stuff.
Matrix Grizzly
Vixenmaster strings
100 gr. Magnus Heads
BEE .001
AAE Max Stealth Vanes
Boo

Post by Boo »

The best stuff I've used in a Third Hand Rag Bag was window screening material cut into strips. Second best is cotton/denim material cut into strips. Last is clothing flolded into layers.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
tharris811

Post by tharris811 »

My mother in law friend has carpet squares .She gets me all I need they work really good. I also use old cloth .Just repack the target and re fold the colth it is almost good as new last forever
live everyday as it is your last..It may be
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Backstraps wrote:I've tried the stretch wrap and you are going to have plastic residue on your arrows but they do remove easier than shooting through layers material. I think the clothing material is still the best. Not sure about the landscape fabric stuff.
That's exactly what I was trying to avoid. Seems like I spend as much time trying to get that stringy melted plastic off my arrows as I do shooting. Thanks for the reply, I'll probably scratch that off the list.
Matrix 380
Exomag
Backstraps

Post by Backstraps »

Boo wrote:The best stuff I've used in a Third Hand Rag Bag was window screening material cut into strips. Second best is cotton/denim material cut into strips. Last is clothing flolded into layers.
Is it the fiberglass screen material or some sort of plastic. I would assume aluminum screen material would tear your arrows up something terrible.
Matrix Grizzly
Vixenmaster strings
100 gr. Magnus Heads
BEE .001
AAE Max Stealth Vanes
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Boo wrote:The best stuff I've used in a Third Hand Rag Bag was window screening material cut into strips. Second best is cotton/denim material cut into strips. Last is clothing flolded into layers.
Thanks Don, is it fiberglass screen (not metal)?
Matrix 380
Exomag
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

The best I've used is waste material from rug mills they pack really well and really stop an arrow. I've also used old shirts socks and jeans minus the zippers or metal buttons they work well also.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I have experimented with many materials in my bag and always go back to packed rags. I love the two finger removal and the fact that my blazers have never touched the bag. It is simply the easiest and cheapest solution. JMHO.
Hank
Boo

Post by Boo »

It's the fiberglass screening. The biggest advantage being that you can leave it out side which you shouldn't with clothing.
There's one at Booville :mrgreen: and it's been outside for 2 years now.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Another one that works pretty good but can not be left out in the weather . The trimmings off of quilts when they are made . Or go to a goodwill store and buy old blankets .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
wathst

Post by wathst »

The Atlantic Provinces have a company called Parts for Trucks which sells bundles of compressed rags for $18.75. They are 18" by 16" by 6 inches thick. They weigh 25 pounds and are very tightly packed in heavy plastic, so no stuffing required. My matrix 380 shooting 150 grain field points from 20 m does not fully penetrate it, but if I shoot Bolt Cutters, I need 2 bales back to back. They bring them in by the pallet load, and I would think that other dealers in truck or car parts might have something similar. The best part about them is that they are already highly compressed, which is the hardest part about using rags. Just drop them in a target bag and they are ready to go.
Matrix 380, BEE's w Lumenoks, Leupold CrossBones, TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

wathst wrote:The Atlantic Provinces have a company called Parts for Trucks which sells bundles of compressed rags for $18.75. They are 18" by 16" by 6 inches thick. They weigh 25 pounds and are very tightly packed in heavy plastic, so no stuffing required. My matrix 380 shooting 150 grain field points from 20 m does not fully penetrate it, but if I shoot Bolt Cutters, I need 2 bales back to back. They bring them in by the pallet load, and I would think that other dealers in truck or car parts might have something similar. The best part about them is that they are already highly compressed, which is the hardest part about using rags. Just drop them in a target bag and they are ready to go.
That is great news as cutting zippers and buttons gets tedious after awhile. :roll: :lol:
Hank
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Boo wrote:It's the fiberglass screening. The biggest advantage being that you can leave it out side which you shouldn't with clothing.
There's one at Booville :mrgreen: and it's been outside for 2 years now.
I love the ease of arrow removal from my rag bag but it's getting pretty hole-y, it's in dire need of some new guts :lol: It's been shot a lot! I have enough rags to rebuild one target, and was trying to get away from the plastic stuffing in the other one.
I made a few calls today, found a local window company that said they'd save all their scrap screen material for me since they just throw it away. So I'm going to give this a try. I appreciate the suggestion!
Matrix 380
Exomag
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I have lots of fleece blanket scraps, I wonder how that would work, I need a second rag bag but don't want to have to hunt down any more cloths.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone