Picked up my new 380 yesterday

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

F250-2

Picked up my new 380 yesterday

Post by F250-2 »

After months of research and advice seeking, I bought the Matrix 380 yesterday - my first crossbow and never owned any type of archery equipment previously. The owner of the bow shop helped me sight it in at his indoor range. Same hole accuracy at 20 yds. He replaced the 150 gr. target points with 100 gr. points. For broadheads - 100 gr. Grim Reapers (3 blade 1 3/8"). The trigger is certainly not a Browning X-bolt and will take some getting used to. What do you guys use to lube the rails ? Some guys say they just use Vasiline. I'll be using this for hunting only.
8ptbuk

Re: Picked up my new 380 yesterday

Post by 8ptbuk »

Hoped he checked your brace height , congrads on the new bow ! :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Congrats on the new 380, it's a great shooter!
I'm skeptical on the vaseline idea, I sure wouldn't want something greasy like that on mine. Sounds like a magnet for dust and dirt that might even accelerate rail and serving wear.
I have used spray silcone lubricant on mine a time or two just to see if it made a difference in speed, it didn't. I'm sure someone will recommend a commercial rail lube, but I haven't tried any. Best of luck with the new 380!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good luck, and congrats! I don't use rail lube, just wipe off the build up if you get any. Some use it, I use a light waxing on my center serving. As mentioned, keep that string off the bumpers. My setting is 3/16" to 1/4" gap.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

I use jigaloo spray on the rail of my 355. it sure seems to make it more slick, that's just my observation and in any event it surely cannot hurt. it dries very fast and will not attract dirt. i spray it on a rag then wipe the rail
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the 380!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

Don't put any crap on your mainframe because it could cause premature serving separation and leaves a mess to clean.
A small bit of non scent string wax worked into the string as needed is required on occasion only.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats to you on yer Matric
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Normous wrote:Don't put any crap on your mainframe because it could cause premature serving separation and leaves a mess to clean.
A small bit of non scent string wax worked into the string as needed is required on occasion only.
X2...and as said before, make sure your string is 1/4" off the bumpers (3/4" from the seem at the front of the rail) and I highly recommend removing your scope mounting screws carefully, one at a time, and applying some blue loktight (medium strength). Congrats on your new bow, it's a tack driver.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
ds762

Post by ds762 »

paulaboutform wrote:
Normous wrote:Don't put any crap on your mainframe because it could cause premature serving separation and leaves a mess to clean.
X2...and as said before, make sure your string is 1/4" off the bumpers (3/4" from the seem at the front of the rail) and I highly recommend removing your scope mounting screws carefully, one at a time, and applying some blue loktight (medium strength). Congrats on your new bow, it's a tack driver.
What he said!

The M380 is an awesome bow!!
M380 ---"Mjolnir"
Vendetta RF
BEE

>>>--------->
F250-2

Post by F250-2 »

Thanks so much to each of you who responded. The string on the crossbow is pressed firmly into the black rubber bumpers/shocks. Apparently that is a bad thing. How do I adjust things to correct the situation ?
Normous

Post by Normous »

The string resting on the REDS is not good and may cause stress on your limb tips. If you don't have one already you need a Stringing Aid to facilitate string removal and twist it to the proper brace height and your 380 will be GTG. Neglect of brace height may cause the bumpers to wear prematurely, POI shift and limb tip stress. Also, rotate the bumper in one direction about 1/8" inch every 5-10 shots, this only takes seconds to do and will add bumper life.
Monitor your brace height and adjust as needed. This only takes a few minutes.
Danny Miller has a sufficient inventory, good prices and fast shipping. You may call him for a good stringing aid if you require one.
740 483-2312
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

F250-2 wrote:Thanks so much to each of you who responded. The string on the crossbow is pressed firmly into the black rubber bumpers/shocks. Apparently that is a bad thing. How do I adjust things to correct the situation ?
you must unstring bow,take loop off one limb and twist string counterclockwise to shorten string, this will move the string away from the rubber stops. after you twist the string, restring bow to check clearance from stops, if the string is still to close to the rubber stops do the process over until you get desired clearance.
I am no expert but I believe I am steering you straight, more knowledgeable members are sure to chime in
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Normous wrote:The string resting on the REDS is not good and may cause stress on your limb tips. If you don't have one already you need a Stringing Aid to facilitate string removal and twist it to the proper brace height and your 380 will be GTG. Neglect of brace height may cause the bumpers to wear prematurely, POI shift and limb tip stress. Also, rotate the bumper in one direction about 1/8" inch every 5-10 shots, this only takes seconds to do and will add bumper life.
Monitor your brace height and adjust as needed. This only takes a few minutes.
Danny Miller has a sufficient inventory, good prices and fast shipping. You may call him for a good stringing aid if you require one.
740 483-2312
X2 on this . I would put about 4 to 6 cc twist in it . I think Danny charges 20 bucks for his stringing aids and they are built like a tank .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
F250-2

Post by F250-2 »

Once again I want to thank each of you for your help. I'll get a stringing aid ordered ASAP and not shoot the bow again until I make the corrections. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and experience !! Nice of you all to help out the dumb new guy !