Fletching a arrow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

typical10

Fletching a arrow

Post by typical10 »

Wondering if there is a chemical to clean off glue and fletching on a shaft to be refletched, or use a blade and scrape it? thanks jeff~
nchunterkw

Re: Fletching a arrow

Post by nchunterkw »

Use a sharp blade and carefully scrape it making sure to not damage the carbon. Then use acetone to remove old glue residue. I "rough" up the shaft a bit after that with 0000 steel wool.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
cevans

Post by cevans »

I take and cut the old fletching off the shaft carefully not cutting into the shaft be it carbon or aluminum, then soak remaining fletching and glue till it comes right off the aluminum shaft in acetone for about 15-20 minutes. For carbon,,I just soak it a few minutes till glue is soft in acetone as well, and take a dull knife like a butter knife and gently scrape remaining off. Be careful not to score the carbon shaft or take any carbon off it. Onces its all off, then I put clean acetone on a clean rag and clean the shaft completely before fletching. I even wipe each vane with a clean rag dabbed with acetone before applying glue and sticking on the shaft. Done thousands of dozen arrows that way all my life and works. Used to fletch a lot for years being in a archery shop. Hope this helps a bit.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Good advice guys. I use the coarse steel wool also. I find the glue adheres better if the carbon is scuffed up a little bit. What kind of vanes are you going with?
Happy gluin,
Hank
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Don't touch the glue valley in the vanes with your fingers, and many now days use an activator to assist the bonding agent. Make sure you read what the vane manufacturer says about preparation for their specific vanes!

It is a lot of fun doing your own, and very satisfying watching them fly after you do a good bunch!
Have fun.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!