Trigger Tech now fitted in my Mega 405

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

styks

Trigger Tech now fitted in my Mega 405

Post by styks »

Hi again all.
I said I'd get back as soon as my Trigger Tech target unit had arrived and fitted in my M 405.

Well it's fitted and what a transformation! .... Fitting was a doddle once I'd shifted the sight rail screws. As others have noted they are pretty tight from the factory but after I'd removed and refitted earlier, due to me investigating POI shifts, they were a proverbial bi_ch, I'd used some epoxy to refit the rail!
The reason I did that was because I wasn't happy about the way the Guardian rail fits, it's not man enough for this beast of an Xbow IMO. …....... No doubt that is why Excalibur deemed it necessary to use very tough loctite in the first place.

Followed the instructions to the letter and fitting went well with just a couple of things to note.
One, the cut outs that locate the trigger unit were painted and it was not so easy to locate the new unit precisely so I scratched out the paint and it fitted nice and precise.

The second one had me scratching my head for just a couple of minutes, the sticker on top of the TT unit warns that the shorter screw MUST go here! ….. Well I popped it in and found the Guardian rail would not fit. I reasoned it was for an older pre-guardian sight rail? …. So I left it out.

I fitted the rail with the new screws which look like stainless and have loctite painted on them.
I thought at the time that that is not going to hold, I was right, 5 shots and loose again!
So out with the Araldite and same procedure as before, that is I degreased and put a thin layer on the joint as well as on the threads. It ain’t going to shift now!
I'm not recommending you do this unless your a confident engineer because if you do your going to require heat to get it off again should the need arise.

Ok all back together, left for 2 days to let the epoxy harden well. I manually set the trigger and tried the feel, I expected it to be very light with no weight on it and it was, you barely touch the second stage and off it goes.

Outside to try it out. Nice, very nice indeed, this is going to improve my accuracy I think and it has.
I can now hit my old turkey 3D, which has lost its tail and head leaving about a 18” x 16” target, standing off hand at 100yrds most every time.

I couldn't do that with the stock trigger, what a difference the Trigger Tech unit has made, thank you Trigger Tech!

I did worry that the 1.5lbs target unit would be a bit too hairy but no it's great, short first stage just the way I set my rifles and crisp second stage break. …....... I don't have a trigger gauge but it feels around the 1.7-8 mark in this M 405.
Although this will only be used for target, possibly verry occasionally from a blind, I do feel that for hunting, if your tempted to try it for that, you must become very familiar with the target unit, it has surprised me a few times, I was on target but it made me jump a little !! :shock: …..... Personally I'd feel safer with the 2.5lbs unit for hunting, just as TT advises.

After about a week I have a small concern/worry, it may be my fault I don't know.
The first stage is feeling a little different now. It was very smooth on that roller design but now feels less so. It feels as if the roller is sometimes not rolling but dragging or has developed a slight flat, unlikely as it must be very hard tool steel, but it is a bit worrying. This strange feel is not every time, it differers slightly on every shot, not bad but it's there.
The other possibility is that a slight dribble of epoxy has got into the unit, I was very careful to avoid that but it's possible through a screw hole I suppose. The second stage feels just as it was, crisp.

Trigger Tech please chime in if you read this, I'll email you soon.

I sure hope I don't have to remove, return the unit and have my bow out of action for several weeks, I live in the UK. …...... I'll see how it goes and report back, it may even out.

The Trigger Tech unit has transformed this Excalibur M 405 and well worth doing, why on earth doesn't Excalibur get together with Trigger Tech turning what is already a great crossbow with a mediocre trigger into a great crossbow with a fantastic trigger!

I'm also going to throw a word in for Wyvern Creations. What a TOP guy David is, fantastic service, nothing seems too much trouble, he even saved me quite a few bob. I won't say how, I'll leave you to guess.
Thank you very much David, I'll be back for more stuff to be sure, you and your company deserve the business and you'll have plenty of it I'm sure.

Styks.
pinshooter

Re: Trigger Tech now fitted in my Mega 405

Post by pinshooter »

Trigger Tech makes a great trigger and you are right, Wyvern is top notch. I can't comment on the trigger feeling like it has a flat spot but the sticker saying the "screw must go here" that is for the bows that don't have the guardian ADF. The bows that don't have the ADF the arrow retention arm is separate and you have to transfer it and bolt it on. With the ADF the retention arm stays with the ADF.
John 3:16
Camo Matrix 380
Boo

Post by Boo »

I certainly like David enough to just call and yap. But I do wish he would show some self control and not start one of his rants like his current one :roll: . While many at AT approve and even applaud, I cannot agree.
But yes, he's a good guy to buy from and he certainly does his utmost to keep his customers happy. That I can attest to!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
TriggerTech

Post by TriggerTech »

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply here. I received your form entry and replied to your email.

Sometimes something can get into the roller path. This can be solved by shooting the bow a few time so that the roller can kick off any possible disturbance. You can cock the trigger with the nock (back-end) of an arrow and do that about 5 times to clear out the area.

Do not put any lubrication into the latch and sear area (mouth of the trigger). This will only gunk things up and lead to malfunction of the roller.

Try cycling the trigger first and let us know how it works. It is best to reach us here: [email protected] for a guaranteed fast response. We'll be sure to keep you happy with the trigger performance.

Cheers,

FG
rein1

Post by rein1 »

I quote "confident engineer "
styks

Post by styks »

rein1 wrote:I quote "confident engineer "
Call me slow but I'm not sure what you mean by quoting that ?
styks

Post by styks »

FG is sending me a replacement unit and I'm returning this unit for inspection.
All I tried, as per FG's advice, has not improved things, in fact it actually got worse, sticking on the first stage, not returning when released.

Thank you Trigger Tech for getting this out to me so quickly, I'll let you know when it arrives, is fitted and working ok. Hopefully in time for the shoot I mentioned in my email.

Cheers all, I'll report back when my bow is up and running again.
styks

Two TOP NOTCH companies !!

Post by styks »

Replacement TT unit arrived and was fitted today, all is well, more than well, it's great!

I've had the pleasure of dealing with two superb TOP NOTCH companies.

Ok the first unit was not right but all companies get something wrong every now and then, the human factor, we ain't perfect! ....... I have a feeling, which I think TT will confirm when inspected, that the wrong unit was put in the Matrix box! The first units trigger blade mounting hole was 6mm forward when compared to the new unit, so I'm guessing it was one meant for another model?

Anyhow, Wyvern and Trigger Tech are two fantastic companies!

Companies over here in Rip off Britain NO WAY would've sent a replacement unit before receiving the faulty item. ... They sure could learn a lot in terms of customer service from David and FG. .... Thank you both. :D
rein1

Post by rein1 »

styks wrote:
It sure doesn't take a confident engineer to put in a trigger tech unit,, I just had to comment ,,, I never did meet a unconfident engineer.. O well I'll let you
go ride your ego see ya
styks

Post by styks »

rein1 wrote:
styks wrote:
It sure doesn't take a confident engineer to put in a trigger tech unit,, I just had to comment ,,, I never did meet a unconfident engineer.. O well I'll let you
go ride your ego see ya
I was not referring to the fitting of the trigger unit, if you read my post correctly, which you obviously have not, you will see I say fitting was a doddle!

I was referring to the sight rail fitting and that I had used Araldite instead of loctite because it kept coming loose.
All engineers should be confident I'll give you that, I just meant not too worried about using heat to break the bond if it needed to be removed, just a bad choice of word, give me a break man! ........ Not at all meaning I'm the only confident engineer in the world, there are many that could put me to shame I'm sure.

Come on get a grip, read posts well before you comment, you just make yourself look stupid if you don't. And don't judge someone on the poor choice of a single word.
Ego ha, seems like you're the one with an ego problem or just a nasty, angry, argumentative individual!

There's always one folks. :lol: