String Help again

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tipnchip

String Help again

Post by tipnchip »

I plan on picking up the material in the morning to start making a string jig so that I can start trying to make my own strings for the Matrix 330. I have already built a jig for center serving and stretching and doing a little practicing on a string I messed up with a dry fire.(s) :oops:
I have read about every thing I can find here on building strings and been to u tube and watch meny videos and my old mind is swimming in all the good info. Think I have picked out one I will follow until I get the hang of it. Oh, I'm sticking with continous loop for now and not looking for speed at this time. What I am looking for is a shopping list.
1. What type string and size.
2. What kind and size loop serving string
3.What kind and size center serving string
4.What wax
I have string sever and other tools already.
Now as an example if I need a 32 inch string and am using Dacron do I make the string 31 inches and stretch it before use or do I make it 32 inches d keep twisting as it stretches?
Do you put twists in the string before putting center serving on?
I realize you all seem to use different materials so I will be more then happy to see more then one list. Please tell me why you prefer one material over another, less stretch, better grip, what ever.
Almost forgot where do I order the material from?
Sorry this contained so much at once but if I don't get it all in one lace I'll just be more :?
thanks in advance.
munch

Re: String Help again

Post by munch »

not sure what your going to use for a jig but i make a lot of the jigs in the picture just dont advertize them here
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Munch has a video on YouTube that is great on Endless Loop Strings ! I recommend you watch it also . Good luck
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

watch Munch's video on youtube and go for it . you will learn as you go . get a good jig like he sells . and a good serving tool it will take a while to learn. :) :)
tipnchip

Post by tipnchip »

Have watched munch part one and four but can't seem to find Part 2 & 3. Have also been watching boo and a couple others.
Boo

Post by Boo »

1. What type string and size. There are 2 types of strings, endless loop and Flemish. Which one is up to you.
Size?? If you mean how many strands, it depends on what you are trying to achieve and what string material you choose.

2. What kind and size loop serving string. I would use Angel Majesty somewhere in the 0.014" to 0.018" diameter. Brownell's 1D would be second best
3.What kind and size center serving string Keep an eye on the test that I am running but for now 0.035" Angel Majesty has no peers
4.What wax Until Dalton gets it's act together stick with Excalibur's serving wax
I'm guessing because I haven't done a Dacron string for years but I think you should start about 3\4" shorter on a Dacron string. But it depends on what type of string you are making.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
tipnchip

Post by tipnchip »

Thanks Boo, For the time being I think it would be smart for me to stay close to what factory strings would be. I am shooting a matrix 330. If I were to change any thing from factory specs rite now it would be the actual string material to cut down on stretch. I that can be done with out compromising durability and strength.
As fare as size goes I was looking (as example the D or is it B 50 I have heard mentioned) and how many strands for the 330.
I apologize for all the questions but my ears took to much of a beating overseas and I don't hear or understand much of what is said on the videos.
Boo

Post by Boo »

tipnchip wrote:Thanks Boo, For the time being I think it would be smart for me to stay close to what factory strings would be. I am shooting a matrix 330. If I were to change any thing from factory specs rite now it would be the actual string material to cut down on stretch. I that can be done with out compromising durability and strength.
As fare as size goes I was looking (as example the D or is it B 50 I have heard mentioned) and how many strands for the 330.
I apologize for all the questions but my ears took to much of a beating overseas and I don't hear or understand much of what is said on the videos.
You have a PM
Some people just like stepping on rakes