Shot distance for deer hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

F250-2

Shot distance for deer hunting

Post by F250-2 »

I would like to draw on the considerable amount of crossbow deer hunting experience some of you Forum folks have. I think I have said before that I have been very fortunate to have taken many deer, elk, and caribou with center fire rifles and muzzle loaders ( I even took a white tail buck with a handgun) over the years. This archery/crossbow hunting is all new to me. I'll be hunting whitetails with the Matrix 380, Diablo arrows, 100 gr. Grim Reaper mechanical broadheads. Even with the poor trigger, I was shooting scary-tight groups at 50 yards. From your experience, given a standing broadside shot, with plenty time, and a solid rest, what should I limit my maximum shot distance at ?
xcaliber

Re: Shot distance for deer hunting

Post by xcaliber »

I feel very confident to 50 yards, but that would have be an unobstructed shot which also allows me to have perfect positioning of my body to take that shot on a deer. Remember, 40 yards is a long shot in the woods! I don't think there really is a right answer on this subject, and it comes up frequently.
Good luck, practice using a 3D deer, and you'll know what your limit is.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Lets put the shot distance to rest. Lets say when a game animals gets to a certain pt that you have no doubt you can make it! Then it doesn't matter if'en its 17 yds or 53 yds. When you knowed in yer own mind & it says i can make it, then you can! :) I knowed fer a fact i can pull off some long shots if'en i want to 40-70 yds. Its all about knowin when & where you can do it. :)
Last edited by vixenmaster on Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

my personal maximum shot distance is about 35 yards. I might go to 40 yards if everything is perfect. my equipment will no doubt perform well on longer distances but I don't feel comfortable shooting animals at longer ranges. now there are a few humans I might practice on at those longer ranges :lol: :lol:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Alot depends on both what distance you feel confident shooting at on a consistent basis and what you can "live with" should you decide to take a long shot and it goes south I.E. where you only wound the deer instead of delivering a kill shot

Keep in mind too that even if you can shoot 50 yards lights out on a target its still a target. Live animals are just that, they may be "stationary" when feeding etc but that can change in a seconds notice and the further away you are, the longer the arrow takes to get there.

The speed of the bow helps cover that distance faster but its still shooting an arrow at something that could change direction, position etc and in turn alter the whole placement of the shot on impact I.E. what once was a vital area shot now becoming a gut or partial gut shot.
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

The biggest thing is that crossbows are noisy and a deer will react to that. If the time lag between the shot and the arrow arriving at the deer is long enough, the deer can move causing a poor hit, or a miss.

You say archery is all new to you. In that case, I would suggest that you pretty much forget about thinking about hunting like you did with a gun. You are no longer trying to position yourself just to "see" game (and thus with a rifle be able to get a shot most times), now you need to position yourself to see game at very close ranges (30 yds or less). Further, to have the game unaware that you are there while they are at that close range. That to me is the challenge in archery. It is a very "up close and personal" type of hunting. It is a whole different mindset.

That being said, you are shooting a 380 with a ~400gr arrow, so your speed should be in the 360fps neighborhood. So IMO 35yds would be a very "safe" outer limit. You might be able to push it as you gain experience, but being new to it all, I'd start close. I personally go for ground setups that bring them with 25yds or less.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
bdog

Post by bdog »

even tho you n your bow are capable, doesn't mean the deer will co-operate, 50yrds is a very long shot on a deer, they are constantly moving, even if it's very little,and any alertness on the deer's part will guarantee a misplaced shot
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Close enough to spit on :mrgreen:
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

bdog wrote:even tho you n your bow are capable, doesn't mean the deer will co-operate, 50yrds is a very long shot on a deer, they are constantly moving, even if it's very little,and any alertness on the deer's part will guarantee a misplaced shot
X's 2
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

My own shots I keep within 35 yards or less. A lot can happen in the last few seconds of the shot. :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Oppie wrote:Close enough to spit on :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: funny but to the point!
This is a question of ethics so let's keep it civil like we usually do :mrgreen:
Here's my comment. The more respect you have for the animal you seek, the shorter you distance will be. If you are taking a shot that you know is a low percentage shot, you shouldn't be hunting.
I was at another site where a guy told the story of calling in a buck. It wouldn't come closer than 50 yards but stood broadside, head up, scanning for the source of the "hunter's" grunts. The guy took the shot, the deer swapped ends to run back to where it came from and true arrow cut the femoral artery. The animal fortunately died quickly. When asked would he take the shot again, he said yes. :shock: :roll:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Boo wrote:
Oppie wrote:Close enough to spit on :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: funny but to the point!
This is a question of ethics so let's keep it civil like we usually do :mrgreen:
Here's my comment. The more respect you have for the animal you seek, the shorter you distance will be. If you are taking a shot that you know is a low percentage shot, you shouldn't be hunting.
I was at another site where a guy told the story of calling in a buck. It wouldn't come closer than 50 yards but stood broadside, head up, scanning for the source of the "hunter's" grunts. The guy took the shot, the deer swapped ends to run back to where it came from and true arrow cut the femoral artery. The animal fortunately died quickly. When asked would he take the shot again, he said yes. :shock: :roll:
A closer an relaxed deer is more better :mrgreen:, In Boo's reply, I'd bet that buck is already on alert with all senses turned on max looking for the source of the buck grunts, which is not a good thing, anything will spook it make em jump an run. A relaxed feeding deer is a whole different animal.

I have taken several deer under 10 yds, it's a real rush to get em that close, most have been 20yds or so, I stretched out to 38 yds last yr on a feeding doe, but I also had a dead rest an a range finder.
Only shoot what ya feel comfortable at, no more, and practice, lots...
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

30 yards was my max with the Axiom but now with a Matrix 380 , I'll go 40 yards max if the conditions are right, wind being a big consideration.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Deleted Post
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
F250-2

Post by F250-2 »

Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate being able to draw on your experience. Certainly helps me put things in perspective.