What Length Bolts for Matrix?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big Woods

What Length Bolts for Matrix?

Post by Big Woods »

I'm shooting a Matrix 355. I have been told the 20 inch bolts are more stable. I have also been told that is BS and the 18 inchers are no less stable than the 20's and are less likely to bump something as they dont stick out past the stirrup like the 20's do. Any feedback here?

Thanks!!
Farmer

Re: What Length Bolts for Matrix?

Post by Farmer »

Would like to hear more on this as well .
Boo

Post by Boo »

There's no shortage of stupidity.
Check out what a good shooter can do with 18" shafts
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 46#p513046
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

18" arrows will suit you just fine out of a 355 or 380, no need to change the arrow length looking for better stability because you will not find it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Big Woods

Post by Big Woods »

So if the 18's shoot just as well as the 20's, is there any advantage to the 20's?

Thanks
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Advantage of 20" arrows is they fit the Exo models better. Matrix shoots fine wid 16" 17" & 18" Matrix dependin on yer model. I have shot 16" arrows that do baseball sized groups at 65 yds all day long. :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Big Woods

Post by Big Woods »

I already have 20's. Should I cut them down to 18?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Big Woods wrote:So if the 18's shoot just as well as the 20's, is there any advantage to the 20's?

Thanks
I think you should look at the length another way. Ask yourself what weight arrow you want. I think finished weight is more important than length. Another question to ask is how comfortable are you with a broadhead sticking past your stirrup.
Big Woods

Post by Big Woods »

Good questions Boo. This is all new to me. I typically like heavier arrows but that is with vertical recurve bows where penetration is the focus. Based on the power of my Matrix, I'm thinking penetration will be the least of my concerns. I will hunt almost exclusively from a chair on the ground or treestand so I'm not overly concerned about the broadhead sticking out, but it isn't ideal either. I'm shooting thunderhead 125's and they are flying really well. Is there any reason to believe the thunderheads won't fly well from this setup with the 18's?

Thanks for all the feedback gents. I shot a crossbow for the first time about 3 weeks ago after hunting exclusvely with vertical bows for 32 years.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Some, not all people can get their Thunderheads to fly well out of their crossbows. Normally, you do not want a longish broadhead and O rings between the broadhead and the front insert can (not always) cause havoc. If you have them, try them, but check them for run out after being installed so you don't waste your time.
It's pretty much a major consensus that somewhere between 370 and just over 400 gr is a nice weight for a Matrix. That gives you the advantage of speed and good arrow weight.
BTW, one of my pop up blinds sports about 3 slices from broadheads. No big deal but it did make me realize that I wasn't careful enough to handle broadheads sticking out past the stirrup. Been there, done that and all in one day! :mrgreen:
Big Woods

Post by Big Woods »

Thank You Sir! Yes I was told the thunderheads may or may not fly well. I'm shooting about 1 inch groups at 40 yards (off of a rest) so I'm a little reluctant to change anything but I'm considering cutting my bolts down to 18. What do you mean by check the broadheads for "run out"?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Big Woods wrote:What do you mean by check the broadheads for "run out"?
Checking to see if the shaft and the broadhead have the same axis. Are they in line with each other. If you roll the shaft along 2 bearing points does the tip of the broadhead wobble.
If you bring the tip to a piece of cardboard/box you'll see if the tip moves around.

If the broadhead is not dead straight it will guide the arrow. If it's straight the fletchings will do their job.
Big Woods

Post by Big Woods »

Boo wrote:
Big Woods wrote:What do you mean by check the broadheads for "run out"?
Checking to see if the shaft and the broadhead have the same axis. Are they in line with each other. If you roll the shaft along 2 bearing points does the tip of the broadhead wobble.
If you bring the tip to a piece of cardboard/box you'll see if the tip moves around.

If the broadhead is not dead straight it will guide the arrow. If it's straight the fletchings will do their job.
Gotcha. I spin check all of them and did have to really crank some down to flatten the rubber o ring so they would spin true.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

The physics of an arrow state that shorter arrows are harder to stabilize, but as has been said, many on here are shooting short arrows with fixed blades all day long. Personally, I'd keep them at 20", but mostly because I have....as Boo would say....." a whack" of 20" arrows already made up, and I like that length out of my Vortex. Remember...nothing really changes from a vert bow to a crossbow. Penetration is still key. Arrow weights and speeds are pretty comparable between the two, but the crossbow arrows are certainly stiffer.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
DES

Post by DES »

I started out using 20" out of my Matrix 330 but switched to 18" with no loss in accuracy. I prefer the broadhead does not stick out past the stirrup.
Excal 350 SE
Stryker LS 390
Scorpyd Vent 150