Question on arrow cutting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kegbelly

Question on arrow cutting

Post by Kegbelly »

Those of you who make your own arrows, do you cut them just a little long to allow for removing a little more material when squaring the ends? How much longer?
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Normous

Re: Question on arrow cutting

Post by Normous »

Squaring, the way I see it does not remove much material and I do not account for extra length when cutting arrows. I use the G5 squaring tool for this job.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Normous wrote:Squaring, the way I see it does not remove much material and I do not account for extra length when cutting arrows. I use the G5 squaring tool for this job.

X2
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Bones

Post by Bones »

Normous wrote:Squaring, the way I see it does not remove much material and I do not account for extra length when cutting arrows. I use the G5 squaring tool for this job.
x3 What he said I do the same and just cut with a dremel cutoff disk as close as possible to desired length then square with a G5 , leave to much and your G5ing for awhile !!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

X4.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I read somewhere that it's recommended to cut a little long to allow for squaring, I guess it depends on how square the cut is to begin with. Thanks!
Matrix 380
Exomag
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I think I removed 1/64" to get square after cutting, if the cut is way off, you will have to remove more from the ends, and with the squaring tool, it will take a while. Take your time cutting the arrows!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I'm going to get the archery shop to cut my first ones, I don't have a saw rigged up yet. Cut some metal with the miter saw and an abrasive blade, no way I'd try to cut arrows with it, looks like it would shred the ends to pieces and it's not very precise.
Matrix 380
Exomag
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi John, when I make my arrows the OCD comes out. I try to make at least a dozen at a time because it's pretty tough to get the arrow saw EXACTLY the same. Once they're all cut I give each arrow 10 twists on my g5 squaring tool. I also pull each nock and do the same thing on the nock end of the shaft. Then I put the nocks back on and square the nocks as well. It's a bit of a pain but that's my routine.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

paulaboutform wrote:Hi John, when I make my arrows the OCD comes out. I try to make at least a dozen at a time because it's pretty tough to get the arrow saw EXACTLY the same. Once they're all cut I give each arrow 10 twists on my g5 squaring tool. I also pull each nock and do the same thing on the nock end of the shaft. Then I put the nocks back on and square the nocks as well. It's a bit of a pain but that's my routine.
:lol: Paul it takes one to know one!
I'll be using the lumenok FAST squaring tool, hadn't thought about squaring the nocks too, thanks for the tips!
Matrix 380
Exomag
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I do them a bit different. I don't have an arrow saw. I cut them by hand with a Dremel with a cut off wheel. I make sure that they are about an eighth in long. I have a jig made for my 12" disc sander with a stop made into it . I touch the first side, then flip arrow and sand to the stop. All arrows are the same length, and are square on both ends.( you can save that little hand tool) I'm ready to go. It sounds a little complicated but takes seconds and is foolproof. I call the jig a monkey jig....... Even a monkey can use it! :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

flightattendant100 wrote:I do them a bit different. I don't have an arrow saw. I cut them by hand with a Dremel with a cut off wheel. I make sure that they are about an eighth in long. I have a jig made for my 12" disc sander with a stop made into it . I touch the first side, then flip arrow and sand to the stop. All arrows are the same length, and are square on both ends.( you can save that little hand tool) I'm ready to go. It sounds a little complicated but takes seconds and is foolproof. I call the jig a monkey jig....... Even a monkey can use it! :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Boo,
That looks just like Paul. :wink: :wink:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Boo

Post by Boo »

UPSMAN wrote:Boo,
That looks just like Paul. :wink: :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dash

Post by Dash »

Kegbelly wrote:I read somewhere that it's recommended to cut a little long to allow for squaring, I guess it depends on how square the cut is to begin with. Thanks!
If you have a reasonable quality right angle cutting wheel saw there's not much material loss in squaring up. But if using a more crude method of cutting, your likely to lose a little more material trying to get it square.