Blackout bumper questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

monstermash

Blackout bumper questions

Post by monstermash »

My son purchased a blackout andjust before leaving the store noticed there were no bumpers installed so the guy put some on. We're both very green with this, I have a 405. After sighting in the scope, we noticed the string diging into the bumpers, came to the site and found out that there should be about .25 inches between the string and the bumpers. I think either there not the right ones or the string needs tightening. Or both. How long should the bumpers be?
Tks to the pros.
MM
Matrix Mega 405
vixenmaster

Re: Blackout bumper questions

Post by vixenmaster »

What yer talkin about is brace ht. Twist string up cc wise several times to put yer string 1/4" above the bumpers
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

X2!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
monstermash

Post by monstermash »

I understand the brace ht but seems the bumper length is a non issue? Are they all the same length for all models?
Tks again
Matrix Mega 405
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I use the same rubber bumpers on my Vortex, and 355. The ball is different on the two models which accept the same rubber. There are other systems however, but Bass Pro should only have the Excalibur style. Do they look the same as your other ones with the grooves in the rubber?
monstermash

Post by monstermash »

I'm on the road thus do not have my 405. I guess my dilema is wondering if different bumper lengths would alter string tension therefore changing the kinetics to get the .25 inch height.
Matrix Mega 405
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Bumpers should all be the length on each separate model. Its strickly all about brace ht. All limbs are same strength. Mainframe gets you the stroke nfps diff.
Half Bubble Off BD360

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

monstermash wrote:I'm on the road thus do not have my 405. I guess my dilema is wondering if different bumper lengths would alter string tension therefore changing the kinetics to get the .25 inch height.
Hi M. Another method of measuring brace height is the distance from the front of the string to the split where the rail meets the riser (bow). I keep mine at the recommended 3/4". Try marking the side of your rail with some white out or felt pen for a quick reference as your string will stretch and settle. If you set your brace height using this method and your string is still touching your bumpers something is not right.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
monstermash

Post by monstermash »

Good idea for checking seam to string distance, thanks a lot everybody. I'll try and post back with update.
Matrix Mega 405
monstermash

Post by monstermash »

Boy do I have a story. Brought the blackout back to the sports shop and showed the guys how much the string was indented into the bumbper. The both agreed this was not normal but after looking at all their excalibur crossbows hanging up, all of them had the string touching the bumpers and some were even starting to indent the bumpers, thsy said this is the way they received them from the factory. If that's the case, does that mean all of them need to have the string adjusted out of the box?
When I told them that the string should be .75 inches from the seam and .25 inches form the bumpers, they both looked at me as if "who told you that"? One of them even told me that those strings do NOT stretch!!!!. They took the string off and measured against a new one and indeed it had stretched. Anyway, these were 2 young bucks working the weekend, don't get me wrong, everybody has to learn.
What bothers me though is that on all their excalibur matrix series, the strings were not set right from the factory, is this normal?
Sorry for the long rant.
Mm
Matrix Mega 405
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

monstermash wrote:Boy do I have a story. Brought the blackout back to the sports shop and showed the guys how much the string was indented into the bumbper. The both agreed this was not normal but after looking at all their excalibur crossbows hanging up, all of them had the string touching the bumpers and some were even starting to indent the bumpers, thsy said this is the way they received them from the factory. If that's the case, does that mean all of them need to have the string adjusted out of the box?
When I told them that the string should be .75 inches from the seam and .25 inches form the bumpers, they both looked at me as if "who told you that"? One of them even told me that those strings do NOT stretch!!!!. They took the string off and measured against a new one and indeed it had stretched. Anyway, these were 2 young bucks working the weekend, don't get me wrong, everybody has to learn.
What bothers me though is that on all their excalibur matrix series, the strings were not set right from the factory, is this normal?
Sorry for the long rant.
Mm
The strings were put on correctlyat the Factory. The material they use to make those strings does indeed elonggate/creep/stretch whatever name you wish to call it. They will sometimes stretch 3/8-1/2", some will do more!
Half Bubble Off BD360

monstermash

Post by monstermash »

I basically told the two guys that those bows should not be sold that way because not everybody is in the know, advised them to contact excalibur directly to get more info....... Anyway, we told them we wanted two new bumpers because those ones were destroyed. He agreed, I told him we'll take care of adjusting the string. Still bothers me that all those bows were hanging there wrongly adjusted...... :roll:
Matrix Mega 405
Boo

Post by Boo »

What the shop should have done is sold you a stringing aid and instructed you on the use and importance.
All REDS bumpers are the same. The REDS on all the Matrix series is the same with the exception of the 330.t
They are definitely not on the ball if they didn't sell you a stringing aid!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Rookies! :lol: I think it would be wise for Excalibur to make these shops get training, just like Mathews does. The shops ignorance casts a bad shadow on the Excalibur brand, and that threatens their future! Just saying, and if I were the king of the forest, it would be so! 8)
monstermash

Post by monstermash »

Agree totally on the above two posts but I think Excalibur should add some more detail info in their package box on string positioning.
As far as a stringing aid, there are others ways of doing this without spending much money, some good vids on youtube.
My question remains unanswered, do all the shops have to retighten the strings prior to selling them?
Has anybody seen the bows at the sports shops?
The bumpers are all indeed the same, limb saver.
Matrix Mega 405