String Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FireFly

String Question

Post by FireFly »

I have a question concerning strings just to satisfy my inquisitiveness.
Why will an endless loop XL type string that came with my Axiom crossbow not damage the crossbow if the crossbow is dry fired yet a Dynaflight string could damage the crossbow if it is dry fired? :?:
flinthead

Re: String Question

Post by flinthead »

Any dry fire could damage your bow. The more "advanced" low stretch strings are harder on any bow as opposed to say a Dacron material... so if you throw in a dry fire obviously the problem is compounded.
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

FireFly wrote:I have a question concerning strings just to satisfy my inquisitiveness.
Why will an endless loop XL type string that came with my Axiom crossbow not damage the crossbow if the crossbow is dry fired yet a Dynaflight string could damage the crossbow if it is dry fired? :?:
The endless loop string is made out of Dacron which has a great amount of elasticity. Dynaflight has far less elasticity. Elasticity in the string "cushions" the limbs on a shot. On a dry-fire Dacron will, by way of cushioning the shot will eat much of the dirty energy that is produced on a dry-fire.
Dirty energy is leftover energy that is left over after the shot. Obviously there is a smaller amount of dirty energy if there is an arrow in the bow.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
FireFly

Post by FireFly »

Thanks Boo. You explained it so I can understand it. I feel better now! :)