Help Me on My Next Excalibur

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OldMike

Help Me on My Next Excalibur

Post by OldMike »

For many years I have wanted an Excalibur crossbow, and finally early last year I purchased an Excalibur Matrix 355. I couldn't have been more pleased.

Now a little more than a year I am ready to get a second one. My 12 yr old son is interested in hunting with me using crossbows, and so I am thinking of picking up a second. The fact that my county is archery only (crossbow included) doesn't hurt either.

Now I will tell you first off that I am a 'one is none, two is one' kind of guy. So buying a second 355 is high on the list. I am also interested in the 330 and 310, but from what I have read here, the 310 parts are not compatible with the 330 and 355 so I might shy away from it. I am TX, but travel frequently so having a 200 lb limit bow would be a plus for states that mandate max draw weight.

The package that came with my 355 is great, and I really like the Tact-Zone scope. I am not sure how the scopes would compare with what comes on the 310 and 330.

Right now I am leaning towards another 355 or possibly a 330 just to have something different (with compatible parts). The 310 is third on the list - but keeps me wondering if that should be the one I should pick for my second Excalibur.

Any help in making a decision would be appreciated.
vixenmaster

Re: Help Me on My Next Excalibur

Post by vixenmaster »

Y'all get a 330 that should be a hunter/shooter
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome to the forum, the 330 would fit your son just as well as you, just a little easier to cock than the 355, good luck.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

330 for sure. Matrix power.. Shoot all day.
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
OldMike

Post by OldMike »

Wow, I'm surprised that the consensus is for the Matrix 330 so far - I would have thought the 355 would have been the more popular choice.

Can someone confirm a couple of questions I alluded to in my original post:

1. Is there complete parts compatibility between the Matrix 330 and Matrix 355. Also if I am correct, the Matrix 310 does not share this compatibility, correct?

2. How does the scopes differ between what comes in the package for the Matrix 355 and the Matrix 330? I like the Tact-Zone that came with my 355 alot. I have never used the Vari-Zone before (which I think comes with the 330). I couldn't find the answer on Excalibur's site, but what is the price difference between these two scopes? That might help me justify the difference in price between the 355 and 330 a bit.

Thanks for the input guys.
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

The 330 has foward matrix riser.. The 310 flat matrix riser. Other than that there the same. Varizone decent scope. Non illuminated but clear. Not sure price difference . But after you shoulder a 330 you'll want one,and the camo is super.
Last edited by RexKay on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The Varizone is a very good scope. It does not have all the features, no illumination, but good optics! I think the 330 would fit the youngster well, and you could switch as he grows, and you age! I also think if you want a great 200# crossbow, get a Vortex. It is the old design, and would require longer bolts, but it meets the 200# max. limit, and shoots like a dream. You can pick one up fairly cheap too.
#1 - 330
#2 - Vortex
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Another vote for the 330!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I would get the 330 matrix. One sweet bow. Welcome to the forum.
Shoot safe,
Hank
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

My advice if your buying for your 12 year old son and your going to cock it for him go with the 355 because it takes just as much to pull the 330 as it does for the 355 ....power stroke 330=11.4 and 355 =12.2...just shorter distance.
if he cant cock it then maybe you might want to think about a vixenII or a 175lb model that he himself could cock and later down the road add another as he grows. JMO
If he can cock the 355 or 330 then anyone of them would be great
tharris811

Post by tharris811 »

oldmike I have both a 330 & 355 I just like the 330 better.. But all said the trigger on the 355 was a lot better. Had to put a trigger tech on the 330 not sure what the difference
live everyday as it is your last..It may be
deermanct

Post by deermanct »

I also own both the 355 and 330. Both are great bows, hunted last season with the 355. The 330 did a little turkey hunting this spring. Not sure which bow will be in the starting lineup next month when the deer season opens here. I'd have to vote that you get the 330 for your son. The 330 is a lot easier to cock than you might expect. Both bows are equipped with good scopes, more than enough to get the job done.
OldMike

Post by OldMike »

Thanks everyone for your advice.

After all the input it seemed the Matrix 330 was the hands down winner. So I set out to see what kind of deal I could get on one. Every place was pretty much the same price for the package. Cabelas had a $50 gift card deal going on right now and I was about do to that. Then I came across a Barnett Quad 400 and decided to go that way :) - just kidding, haha.

Anyway, I went onto Amazon and saw a Matrix 355 package for $789 with free shipping and no tax. For $20 more than the Matrix 330, I figured it was a good deal and jumped on it. Last year, in March of 2013 I was able to get my Matrix 355 package for $769 - but it seems like prices shot up this year. Before the Amazon deal, the prices everywhere seemed to be about $899 for the Matrix 355.

So next week I should get it in and be able to set it up. I'm excited to be able to go hunting using crossbows with my son this year. I love shooting mine and I am happy to have bought another Excalibur for my son - because I have a feeling he will still be enjoying it when he is my age. A friend tried to talk me into buying a cheap compound crossbow for my son - but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Thanks again.
Jray

Post by Jray »

The last time I bought from Amazon(couple months ago) tax for my state was added! I called them about it and they acted like they would be adding state sales tax for whatever state you were shipping to. That was the last time I ordered off their site.
OldMike

Post by OldMike »

Jray wrote:The last time I bought from Amazon(couple months ago) tax for my state was added! I called them about it and they acted like they would be adding state sales tax for whatever state you were shipping to. That was the last time I ordered off their site.
The trick to avoid sales tax is to buy an item that is not 'shipped and sold by amazon'. If its a third party seller, and they are not in your state, you will not be charged sales tax. I could have purchased the same Matrix 355 from Amazon prime for $20 less (plus a longer wait for it to come in stock), but I would have been hit with $60+ in sales tax. I am in Texas and they have added sales tax from Amazon for a while now. It usually doesn't bother me, but at times I try to buy from a third party seller on Amazon for the more expensive things as long as shipping is still free.