Rage broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

schrona1

Rage broadheads

Post by schrona1 »

Are the Rage crossbow X 2 blade broadheads as effective as a 3 blade setup? Or should one stay away from them? The 2 inch cut seems like a good idea, I am just curious as to whether they are worth trying or not. Any advice would be appreciated.
paulaboutform

Re: Rage broadheads

Post by paulaboutform »

I know they're marketed BRILLIANTLY and a lot of people love them but in my solitary experience with the rage 3 blade they failed miserably out of my compound. I gave the two remaining rages away and traded my other full pack for something else. In my biased opinion, I would go with a good quality fixed blade and personally would only take a rage if it was given to me free....so I could sell or trade them. :wink: just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree. :mrgreen:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I know several that use them with good results ( xbow version ) . I'm going to try them myself this year . Practice head hits EXACTLY same as fieldoints for me . Shock collars MUST be positioned so that blades are BETWEEN the splits in the collar . I'm not saying there better than fixed heads but they have their good points . Mike
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

paulaboutform wrote:I know they're marketed BRILLIANTLY and a lot of people love them but in my solitary experience with the rage 3 blade they failed miserably out of my compound. I gave the two remaining rages away and traded my other full pack for something else. In my biased opinion, I would go with a good quality fixed blade and personally would only take a rage if it was given to me free....so I could sell or trade them. :wink: just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree. :mrgreen:

X2
Montec CS
Slick Trick
Magnus Stinger
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
cevans

Post by cevans »

Mechanical broadheads have been around for years as I sold them 20 maybe 30 yrs ago out of my archery shop. I have some in one of my archery tool boxes and have no idea who made them but they are super old and 1 1/8th cut. Ever since they came out,,guys swear by them, love the holes they cut. Other guys cuss them as they had a problem with them just that one shot on maybe a big buck, that failed or any deer for that matter. Question I have for everybody and I know all the TV hunting shows are pushing heck out of them and that they get big money for them, even 50 bucks for a set is, why do you keep hearing now and then, about the bad problems that still crop up with a mechanical broadhead after all these years? You still hear the same stories for sure, but for the life of me, I would have thought they would have perfected everyone of them by now as long as they have been on the market. I will stick with fixed blade as I know there are no problems,,and have no worrys with every shot I take. I don't worry, that a fixed blade might just screw that one shot up ever and that is one less thing that can screw my kill up that I have elimenated in my perfection to hunt and get that maybe one and only shot,,at a super buck. Broadheads are like fishing lures. Just my 2 cents.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Never been Nixed with Fixed! :wink: Today, there are so many great fixed out there, it's hard not to shoot them. With the crossbows, I'm with cevans! One less thing to think about.
Now, the Rage cut big holes, and lot's of guys kill lot's of game with them, so it's down to choice! The two blade cut a 2" slit going in, and bust about a 4" gap coming out with 70# Hoyt when I used them, crossbow should be trauma!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Speed freak

Post by Speed freak »

When I used to shoot compound I tried rage titanium's which are $80 for 3 and the would open in flight causing the arrow to fly all over the place. So when I switched to the matrix 380 I bought slick trick magnums. 125gr. 4 blade with a 1-1/8" cutting dia. The blades are made of diamond polished .035 SS Lutz Solingen Germany which are custom knife grade. I can't say enough good things about them. I get 1" groups out to 60 yds and I have to use a broadhead wrench to tighten them or they'll slice up my fingers. And the do slice slug sized holes!!!

Post by newbie »

never been let down by a mechanical. I think guys that have had issues with mech dont take the time to truly try and know the head. ive used rage and grim reaper on deer both worked flawlessly. I knew to check that the blades were seated properly in the bands before I loaded it on the deck with the rage never tried the shock collars. with the reaper I knew I had to put a dental band around the 2" whitetail special as they werent rated for my bows speed. do your homework and no matter what head you use it will do its job. some are better then others no doubt me I like the reapers and will be in my quiver again. never shot the three blade but I know Norm used to swear by them.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

newbie wrote:never been let down by a mechanical. I think guys that have had issues with mech dont take the time to truly try and know the head. ive used rage and grim reaper on deer both worked flawlessly. I knew to check that the blades were seated properly in the bands before I loaded it on the deck with the rage never tried the shock collars. with the reaper I knew I had to put a dental band around the 2" whitetail special as they werent rated for my bows speed. do your homework and no matter what head you use it will do its job. some are better then others no doubt me I like the reapers and will be in my quiver again. never shot the three blade but I know Norm used to swear by them.
I understand what you're saying but have to disagree. I am beyond meticulous and a bit of a details freak as some here can attest to. I grain match my arrows to within
1/2grain per dozen my timing, cam sync, brace height, tiller, squared arrows, inserts and even nocks. I'm talking about my compounds and crossbows but you get the point. The failure I had with the rage 3 blade is that it remained closed on a 100lbs hog out of my 70lbs X-FORCE at about 20yards. Complete pass through but only a 7/8" entry and exit. It simply failed. Had it worked perhaps I'd be singing it's praises....until it failed. Anyway, I hope you never experience a failure with any of the mechanical broadheads you may choose. I do mean that. The animals we shoot at deserve a quick, clean, kill and it's hard to argue with the HUGE holes some of those mechanicals make.

Post by newbie »

I have to dissagree with myself too. I should have stated most guys not all. and yes any broadhead can fail you. me I havent lost a deer yet but have seen more lost to fixed then mechanical. I have confidence in what I use and thats a big key as well as knowing where it shoots and how to use it. My buddy is a great example oh it says it shoots with field points on the package. I wont let him hunt until I watch him sight his bow in.
Sorry you had a rage fail I have read lots failing but opening in flight. I have enough confidence to shoot the two blade again but I wont I dont like the design think there are much better choices out there.
I agree we owe the animals a quick fast passing... mechanicals will still be in my quiver this year.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

newbie wrote:I have to dissagree with myself too. I should have stated most guys not all. and yes any broadhead can fail you. me I havent lost a deer yet but have seen more lost to fixed then mechanical. I have confidence in what I use and thats a big key as well as knowing where it shoots and how to use it. My buddy is a great example oh it says it shoots with field points on the package. I wont let him hunt until I watch him sight his bow in.
Sorry you had a rage fail I have read lots failing but opening in flight. I have enough confidence to shoot the two blade again but I wont I dont like the design think there are much better choices out there.
I agree we owe the animals a quick fast passing... mechanicals will still be in my quiver this year.
Newbie, I hope you find all your hunting arrows buried in soft ground covered with pinky, frothy blood and deer in sight of the arrow. :wink:
Nightstalker

Post by Nightstalker »

schrona1 wrote:Are the Rage crossbow X 2 blade broadheads as effective as a 3 blade setup? Or should one stay away from them? The 2 inch cut seems like a good idea, I am just curious as to whether they are worth trying or not. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey why not give RamCats a try!, either the 100/125 gram. Shaving sharp fly like a field point and have a reverse cut blade to boot.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Nightstalker wrote:Hey why not give RamCats a try!, either the 100/125 gram. Shaving sharp fly like a field point and have a reverse cut blade to boot.
I don't get the point of the reverse cut blade. I want my arrow to pass through going forward, not get stuck in the animal.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Nightstalker

Post by Nightstalker »

nchunterkw wrote:
Nightstalker wrote:Hey why not give RamCats a try!, either the 100/125 gram. Shaving sharp fly like a field point and have a reverse cut blade to boot.
I don't get the point of the reverse cut blade. I want my arrow to pass through going forward, not get stuck in the animal.
Seriously don't we all? just think of it as just a little bit of extra insurance if it doesn't. Not every shot made always equals a full pass through 100% of the time. And judging from the reviews on this broadhead and from personal experience it has very good (if not exceptional by some reviews) penetration.

But then again asking about "which is the best" broadhead is like asking which woman is the best looking LOL, always a million different opinions. Cheers.
Last edited by Nightstalker on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I don,t know much about the Ramcats reverse cut blades but know they sure cut great going forward an remind me of a rage three Blade looking at the cut.they are much better made an with the blades open fly like a mechanical for me. My pick of broadheads for now Ramcats number 1 !!!!!