What am I doing wrong?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kmaxwell5

What am I doing wrong?

Post by kmaxwell5 »

I have a Axiom. The other day I asked you guys about string twist and BH. So I measured my BH and it was 1 1/2". I have the 5S rubber stoppers on the bow. I tried to twist the string like you guys said to shorten my BH by turning the string CCW. But it makes the BH worse. I tired turning it CW and same thing the BH got longer. I got it back to 1 1/2" and I am shooting it now and its still dead on at 20 yards. I bought this bow used so I am not sure it its the stock string? Any ideas. The sting measures 35 1/2" Thanks guys! :?:
xcaliber

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Post by xcaliber »

Who knows what string is on it? Looking at the string, turn it left over top, just like loosening a standard screw. How is the serving? If it is good, and the twist direction mentioned tightens it up, and shortens brace height, winning! Shoot it, if not, get two strings from somewhere that are the same. You'll be set for anything, and standardized!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

When I had my Ibex, 1-1/8" brace seemed real good. Same on my Vortex.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Maybe I misunderstood what you said but it's impossible to shorten the brace height regardless of which way you turn it. If you're at a 1 1/2" brace height, untwist the string to make it longer. Try about 3 twists and check your brace height again until you're at 3/4".
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
kmaxwell5

Post by kmaxwell5 »

xcaliber wrote:Who knows what string is on it? Looking at the string, turn it left over top, just like loosening a standard screw. How is the serving? If it is good, and the twist direction mentioned tightens it up, and shortens brace height, winning! Shoot it, if not, get two strings from somewhere that are the same. You'll be set for anything, and standardized!
That's what I was doing taking one end of string and turning it CCW but that just makes my BH go to 2". I thought that I wanted to shorten the BH? But any way I turn it CCW or CW it makes the string farther away for the rubber stoppers instead of closer. Maybe I am twisting it to much?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You need to figure out which way lengthens the string, or lowers brace height. Do maybe 4 turns, then check it.
kmaxwell5

Post by kmaxwell5 »

Swamp Donky wrote:Sounds like the string is too short :?:
Thanks Swamp Donky. It is shooting great out to 40 yards as it is. So I may just leave it alone and hunt with it like it is. Deer season starts here on the 13th.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, if string is too short, has it been fired several times? If it's too short, and the creep is out, you need a string.
kmaxwell5

Post by kmaxwell5 »

xcaliber wrote:Yep, if string is too short, has it been fired several times? If it's too short, and the creep is out, you need a string.
I have only shot it about 50 times. I do not think the guy that I got it from shot it much at all. Do you know what string length is stock on the Axiom?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Calls for 36".
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Can you post a picture or two of what you're working with? Or if you email them to me I'll post your pics, might help to see what you've got going on. Turning CCW adds twists and shortens the string, which in turn raises brace height even more. Untwisting (turning clockwise) lengthens the string and lowers brace height but you can only untwist so much before it sort of unravels, the twists are part of what holds it together. Could the previous owner have put a Matrix-length string on by mistake? Like others have said, sounds like it may be too short.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Boo

Post by Boo »

Take the string off and install it without any twists (do not shoot it without twists). If it is a factory string and it is still too high then it just needs to be shot to elongate the string.
Put 4 or 5 twists in the string and start shooting. When you're done your shooting session store the bow with several more twists. That will preload the string even more and will accelerate the settling in process. When you shoot the bow, you need to have atleast 4 or 5 twist. Failing to put in enough twists may cause a broken string.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
kmaxwell5

Post by kmaxwell5 »

Kegbelly wrote:Can you post a picture or two of what you're working with? Or if you email them to me I'll post your pics, might help to see what you've got going on. Turning CCW adds twists and shortens the string, which in turn raises brace height even more. Untwisting (turning clockwise) lengthens the string and lowers brace height but you can only untwist so much before it sort of unravels, the twists are part of what holds it together. Could the previous owner have put a Matrix-length string on by mistake? Like others have said, sounds like it may be too short.
That is what was happening, twisting it only gave me a higher BH because it shortened the string to much I guess. So I untwisted it so much it unravels in a way with really no twist in the string and goes back to the 1 1/2" BH which is where I left it as of now. I will measure the string off the crossbow again and see what it measures to see if the string is to short.
kmaxwell5

Post by kmaxwell5 »

Boo wrote:Take the string off and install it without any twists (do not shoot it without twists). If it is a factory string and it is still too high then it just needs to be shot to elongate the string.
Put 4 or 5 twists in the string and start shooting. When you're done your shooting session store the bow with several more twists. That will preload the string even more and will accelerate the settling in process. When you shoot the bow, you need to have atleast 4 or 5 twist. Failing to put in enough twists may cause a broken string.
Will do that Boo. Thanks for all the help guys!!