oak trees

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dutchhunter

oak trees

Post by dutchhunter »

I was out at dads new farm and he was telling me about the turkeys on his back lawn .thy have been comeing all week so we had a walk around .all over the back lawn is covered in acorns bigges crop I have ever seen so bad we are going to have to us the yard sweeper to clean them up as the lawn mower is throwing them like craze . I am going to wait till we have to cut the grass before cleaning them up as the turkeys are just munching them up .I to the atv to the back field and found many more oaks dropping there huge loads to I set a trail cam up on the bigges oak with the most deer sign will have to wait and see what shows up ..we have had about 3 inches off rain in the last 24 hours .crazy summer .anybody els have a huge acorn crop this year Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
Bullzeye

Re: oak trees

Post by Bullzeye »

Sweep em up and bring them to the woods for the deer.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

Bullzeye wrote:Sweep em up and bring them to the woods for the deer.
you got that right haha I will be putting them under the big oak that I have my game camera on Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
wabi

Post by wabi »

We had some high wind last weekend and I noticed a lot of acorns under the red oaks where I hunt. Haven't checked the white oaks yet, it's a long walk to where they are. :roll: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Outback

Post by Outback »

I rake them up and put them in 5 gallon pails. Later in the season I dump a few pail around where I have stands. Helps to get things moving again. Just have to make sure the have a bit of air circulation as they will get mouldy. Had a bear bait go dead a few years ago. Put out a bucket of acorns, some of which we crushed and that baitsite came alive again. Took a decent bear off it after 2 days of pouring the bucket of acorns.

outback
galamb

Post by galamb »

I'm in Eastern Ontario, Kingston area and like you note there is "loads" of Acorns this year.

Likewise, a lot of apples and most have them have dropped already.

Tough go trying to get Bambi to come into a food plot - there is a bumper crop of natural sources out there..
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS