125 gr broadhead suggestions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Taylmatr

125 gr broadhead suggestions

Post by Taylmatr »

Got my new 330 on Friday and all sighted in with 20" 2219 and 100 grain tips. Same arrow my wife tac drives with her ibex. I just wasn't happy with the arrow sticking out so far. Went to the local shop and had some cut down to 17". Weighed in right at 420gr on the scales. Long story short wouldn't shoot worth a crap! Switched to a 125 gr tip and shoot just like I knew it could.arrow in arrow close and 3" groups at 50 yds. So looks like I'm switching to heavier broad heads! I've always shot muzzy 4 blade 100 gr heads. I've tried expandables in the past with poor results in xbows. So I'm a little Leary. Hopefully find something that shoots close to same poa as field tips. Thanks guys
pstjohn

Re: 125 gr broadhead suggestions

Post by pstjohn »

I just bought my first crossbow today (380) and noticed on the instructional video that comes with it that Bill was saying 100gr tips always displayed poor accuracy when shooting at the velocities achieved with these bows. He did recommend the heavier heads. He further indicated that the expandable excalibur heads shot more accurately than the boltcutter broadheads with their fixed blades.

-P.
Matrix 380
galamb

Post by galamb »

Have you considered a 25 grain collar behind the broadhead?

If you already have the bolts, broadheads etc etc, maybe try adding a collar and see if that does it for you.

I shoot extreme FOC (like 24% extreme) and they don't seem to care what the broadhead weight is - but that is with a 110 grain insert, so 220 of my 396 grains of total arrow weight is right at the tip.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Taylmatr

Post by Taylmatr »

I have only found you need the 150 heads if shooting carbon without brass inserts. All the aluminum has done fine with it, until I cut them down to 17".

Collars is a good idea. Where would one find these at? I don't think I've actually ever seen those.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

There are many good 125 grain heads out there. G5 Montec would be a very good choice. One piece construction, perfect flight, cut on contact tip, and sharp as you could find. I don't use them cause I have million dollars invested in other heads! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
galamb

Post by galamb »

Here's a link to one of the collars that I mentioned...

http://www.stengerarchery.com/hypershoc ... d=cdinyezl
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Taylmatr

Post by Taylmatr »

I know what you mean by millions in BH's! Seems they're not getting any cheaper. Seems like I rarely recover a bolt after the shot. A tree stand is easy but we mostly hunt ground blinds. Rough to spend 40 bucks on 3 heads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Cheaper to get the weight in the insert when you build your arrows. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!