Swhackers and Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flatone

Swhackers and Matrix 380

Post by flatone »

Finally got my Matrix 380 issues taken care of... Built me a set of BE Zombies, 18" with 92 grain brass inserts. I picked up a pack of the Swhacker 125 grain heads. The practice head drives tacks at 50 yards. I figured I should try out a real one.... and it hit 6" low and 6" left. I could tell that when it hit the target, the blades were deployed. I shot it again... and same thing. So I put 3 bands on and it was dead on and the blades did not deploy before impact.

For those of you who shoot the Swhacker heads, have you had any issues like this? I assume it can't hurt to put on 3 bands?

I will shoot again tomorrow and make sure that I am getting consistent performance with 3 bands... I might try 2 and see if that does the trick.
Matrix 380
vixenmaster

Re: Swhackers and Matrix 380

Post by vixenmaster »

I shot mine 100gr 2" cut, had the blades taped so they wouldn't open. Were dead on out of Marie Laveau at 40 yds. Spect you could try 2 bands wid the 380
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
youngguns

Post by youngguns »

I too shoot 380, and I don't understand putting bands on broadhead, I am going to shoot rage crossbow x 125 gr. Right now shooting field tips w/bee 18" 92. Brass up front 2" blazers w/ right offset 125 gr. Tip do I or should on put bands on to make sure they don't open before impact?? Explain or picture of how done please would be helpful always shot fixed out of my horizontal trying mechanicals for first time . Any and all help greatly appreciated thank you !!!!!! Youngguns :?:
A stupid question is a question never asked
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

That's one of the reasons that I quit shooting Shwackers. I suggest you try one of the many quality fixed blade heads on the market. You will be happier in the long run.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I use 2 bands on my Hammerheads just for insurance.They fly fine and leave a blood bath in their wake!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Normous

Post by Normous »

youngguns wrote:I too shoot 380, and I don't understand putting bands on broadhead, I am going to shoot rage crossbow x 125 gr. Right now shooting field tips w/bee 18" 92. Brass up front 2" blazers w/ right offset 125 gr. Tip do I or should on put bands on to make sure they don't open before impact?? Explain or picture of how done please would be helpful always shot fixed out of my horizontal trying mechanicals for first time . Any and all help greatly appreciated thank you !!!!!! Youngguns :?:
If you search "dental bands" you may find Wheelies photo using them on Rage broadheads. Place them on the most forward part of the outside blades. I verified this with Rage who said dental bands are very popular for those stalking to prevent opening incase of some contact in the bush.

Also, I would suggest using bands on the 380 and each time you load them on deck make sure the blades are full seated in the O-ring and the band in in place.

You may need fingers like a raccoon to put them on.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I shot Rages for years and also used Dental Bands and they work great but I switched to Slick Tricks about 3 years ago and as good as they fly I will never go back to a mechanical head again. The Slick Tricks are a whole stronger and a breeze changing out blades.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
884savage

Post by 884savage »

I'd certainly try 2 bands to see what you get. If you can get 50 yard accuracy, you've arrived. You need nothing else. You will find guys that will bash mechanicals all day, and you'll find guys that love them too. I'm a believer. I've personally never once had a failure, and my Rage 2 blades are 14 for 14 on hits to recoveries. 3 of those shots were marginal. Could a failure ever occur, possibly, but my guess is if it happens it's more of an error on my end. I'd bet a whole dollar that over 90% of mechanical failures were really operator error with pride being the reason they can't confess. Also, if you look at the difference in performance when both mechanicals vs fixed blades work correctly, mechanicals knock a hole in an animal twice the size. That means on a liver shot, you cut twice the liver putting that animal down twice as fast. If it runs 300 yards with a mechanical hit, that could be 400-600 yards with a fixed blade head. That can be the difference between finding a deer and not. So, one day my mechanicals may fail me, but the times they save me will always far outweigh the times the fail. Since I've never seen a failure from my Rages I don't even know what could fail. I'm sure someone will happily tell me. I'm sure someone will also tell me I should have never made 3 marginal shots, and they"ve never deer hunted. It happens. I feel prepared for that with a big 2 inch or bigger cutting mechanical. Keep using them. You'll be happier in the long run for doing so.
Wisc Mac

Post by Wisc Mac »

I took a Doe last year with my M380 using a 125gr Shwacker on a BE executioner. Entrance was 1". Exit was 2.25". Opened inside just like they are supposed to using a single factory band. Hit both lungs and the heart (shot from a ground blind). It was right before dark but still had no problem finding her. Looked like some had paint a 4" red line 25 yes right to her. I will be Shoot Shwackers again this year.

What kind of target where you using. The blades deploy with resistance. If it was a tough skinned target, could they have been deploying during the entrance?
Matrix 380 Xtra
Winchester Model 94
Benelli SBE II
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

MONTECS 125 gr........ Your search is over :mrgreen:
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I used couple of swhackers last yr. they did the job, i used them wid a vixen & under 285 fps. They lacked the punch needed with lower powered models. So this yr i will be trying them wid Marie Laveau :D Also Spitfires n Hammerheads will do well on killin them Tick Toters
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315